Care of equipment / tools ... and reporting breakage / issues

Andy Gelme

Oct 30, 2015, 9:10:30 PM10/30/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
hi All,

A key guideline of the CCHS is respect for the equipment and tools ...
and taking care of the space (neat, tidy, functional and safe).

The band-saw hasn't been treated properly (over time) and, as one
example, when the blade is broken (including recently) it hasn't been
reported (via email, to a duty officer, or the committee) or replaced.
Therefore, the member who kindly loaned the band saw for all of us to
use ... has taken it home :(

Today, I discovered one of our solder irons broken ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geekscape/22632571231/in/album-72157616938883189

... the internal plastic ring was completely shattered (beyond what one
would expect from normal use).

The solder iron was placed back in the holder ... as if the last person
using it, hoped that it wouldn't be noticed.

The correct thing to do ... is to inform the club, either by sending an
email to this list (or the duty officer email list), or by telling a
duty officer (someone opening / closing the space), or by informing the
committee (via email).

Tools break ... and regular wear-and-tear is understandable (as long as
tools aren't misused).

However, members must report breakage as soon as possible, so that
repair / replacement can take place for the benefit of all. Even
better, if the person responsible is able to assist in that process (and
not make it someone else's problem). People don't get into trouble for
understandable tool breakage ... better that we all just make it good.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Right now, the committee is debating over whether to approval a cheap
versus quality set of allen keys. The previous sets have become
scattered and we don't have a good, complete set anymore :(

We'd much rather have the best possible, affordable quality gear
available for members ... but, everyone also has to step-up and treat
all the equipment with care and respect.

Our membership is pretty good in this regard, but clearly a small
sub-set of members *must* do better.

If you don't know how to use a tool properly, please ask. If you see
someone misusing a tool, please politely show them how to use it.

Thanks.

--
-O- cheers = /\ /\/ /) `/ =
--O -- http://www.geekscape.org --