Welding bay

tubular

Oct 4, 2017, 7:36:30 PM10/4/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
There's been an increasing amount of welding at CCHS recently, so I was thinking it might be time to make up a small welding bay, or at least something that doesn't have to be completely dismantled like the current welding curtains do.

The area I think could work is... where the vending machine is currently, and along that wall. Would anyone mind if that was relocated, either on or offsite, in the name of welding progress, until a time in the future when we can spend some quality time on it?

We'd also need to put a curtain across the top of the bay, because our roof lining is so reflective of the arc, and some kind of ventillation

What do people think?

thanks
Lachlan

Brendon

Nov 1, 2017, 7:43:34 PM11/1/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hello all, Lachlan is likely referring to me :)

I don't mind having to setup and dismantle the curtains, but a dedicated exhaust and 15amp GPO would improve the situation a lot.

tubular

Nov 2, 2017, 7:11:17 PM11/2/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Yeah you're the pioneer, along with Josh, but lets face it there are lots of people wanting to use it.

I'll see what we can do about the exhaust and GPO.

cheers
Lachlan

Brendon

Nov 2, 2017, 7:48:30 PM11/2/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
The exhaust seems like the most tricky part (to me). Are we able to connect it to the exhaust system in place for the laser cutters?

John Spencer

Nov 2, 2017, 7:55:59 PM11/2/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
I don't think hanging this off the laser cutter vent is a good plan.

Adding an extra vent system towards the front of the shop is not a bad plan.  I think the Laser cutter vent is just an in-line fan from bunnings.

John

On 3 November 2017 at 10:48, Brendon <bjn.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
The exhaust seems like the most tricky part (to me). Are we able to connect it to the exhaust system in place for the laser cutters?

Rob B

Nov 2, 2017, 7:56:12 PM11/2/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I can bring in Monday, some fans suitable for extraction, but wont leave at space unless they are being used as I don’t wish to add any clutter. This unit is 800mm high the way its standing, has two duel speed fans and two lights one needs a replacement socket which I have.
Regards 15A power request, have we tripped breakers or blown
fuses to this stage?
Regards Rob B

IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG

Clifford Heath

Nov 2, 2017, 8:02:21 PM11/2/17
On 3 Nov 2017, at 10:55 AM, John Spencer <john.spe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think hanging this off the laser cutter vent is a good plan.

Agree. Too much risk that what you suck in one inlet will come out the other.

Brendon

Nov 2, 2017, 8:06:21 PM11/2/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hello John and Rob

John:
I suggested laser cutter vent only because any other vent system requires a hole to be cut in the building somewhere. Then again I have no idea what modifications you are allowed to make to the building.

Rob:
I note that the present welder wants a 15amp supply (putting aside that it has a 10amp plug). Also I brought in my welder and was unable to use it because it has a 15amp plug :)

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/connected-community-hackerspace/CABJjRBe9uqoQ%3DdE8vqHA_ZPfx4vaFNW3mnd_9F80uFYLeUGZ6Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Brendon

Nov 19, 2017, 9:21:50 PM11/19/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hello again

Rob, I saw you brought in the fan unit as promised, sorry I was not there to speak to you directly

Is the fan intended to be fixed to some kind of sealed structure (like the CNC enclosure) ? Or was it meant to be mobile (on wheels, say)

How big is the welding bay intended to be? Just the space occupied by the vending machine?

Rob B

Nov 19, 2017, 11:53:39 PM11/19/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I am not a dictator, even as a member of committee. My thoughts are, I would like to see us have a welding bay that can packs up, as we are always looking for more space, so if the space could be multi purpose would be of extra value. Maybe sharing with Vac former and the like.
As to that duel fan unit it was used over a cooking area, hence the two lights. One fan may be enough. we have to look to venting, weather the same style as the laser cutters (to follow from mob) or across and down thru a window vent was put forward.

Regards Rob B

tubular

Nov 20, 2017, 5:34:08 PM11/20/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hey Rob

Yesterday arvo I picked up 6m of 200mm diameter semi rigid duct.   They also had a floor vent adapter that goes from 200mm to a rectangle which may (or maynot) make it easy to event out the window grill.    I bought one of these to try it, we can return it if it doesn't work

Regarding the space, yes you're correct we should aim for multi-use where possible.   Hafco sell some steel welding tables and tabletops, I wonder whether we could size one to accommodate the vac former and welding?   Vacformer takes 600x600 sheets, so perhaps  welding table or surface 900x600 might work, and this would be roughly same size as the rangehood above/below it.

Those welding tables have holes for flexible positioning of clamps, perhaps there is another use for such a setup.

cheers
Lachlan

Brendon

Dec 11, 2017, 7:50:41 PM12/11/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hello again, I won't be attending tonight. The last thing I did was remove the pegboard, which was attached using three 5mm anchor bolts -- two upper and one lower.

The question now is if the 5mm anchor bolts will be enough to hold the rangehood. Also, how do we go about mounting the rangehood?

Regards, Brendon

tubular

Dec 12, 2017, 3:37:09 PM12/12/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
The dynabolts are D6026, they aren't particularly deep, but then its surprising how much they will hold.

What I'd like to do is have the welding bench surface at the same height as the other benches in the area, which I think is 93.5cm.  Then it'd be good if we can store the vac former in the cavity when the welding isn't being used, and just transfer the vacformer horizontally onto the other benches when required.  The vac former is around 130cm high so that would put the lowest point of the extractor fans at 225cm above ground.

Finally I think we should also weld a U-shaped round rail for the welding curtains to slide along on.   It'd be a bit like what they do in hospital wards.  This would be at similar height so there might be benefit in making a single assembly to do the rail and extractor fan support in one piece then mount it all to the wall.  Or not.

Drilling more or larger dynabolt holes isn't a big deal, we just need to do it at a time when making noise is ok

cheers
Lachlan

Brendon

Dec 18, 2017, 7:58:27 PM12/18/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks Lachlan,

I intended to attend CCHS tonight but am not able to (again).

For the curtain, is it expected to be fully supported by the wall, or will there be support via poles at the end? Do we need to do U shape or would a box shape be OK?

tubular

Dec 21, 2017, 7:07:52 PM12/21/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
hi brendon

A box or a 'U' would both work but the U might be slightly easier to use with rounded corners.   I think we could just support it from the wall.   I'll draw something up and post for comments/feedback

cheers
Lachlan