Screwdriver with "triangular" head

Andy Gelme

Jul 10, 2014, 10:18:24 PM7/10/14
to Connected Community HackerSpace
hi All,

At the space tomorrow, I'm hoping to pull apart a piece of equipment
with a triangular screw head ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geekscape/14438083087

I don't think we have an appropriate screwdriver bit at the space.

Does anyone dropping by tomorrow ... have such a tool that they could
bring along, please ?

Note: The length along the triangular edge is around 1.5 mm to 2 mm.

--
-O- cheers = /\ /\/ /) `/ =
--O -- http://www.geekscape.org --

John Spencer

Jul 10, 2014, 10:20:11 PM7/10/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I think there's a set with these in the "small screwdrivers" drawer.

Otherwise, I have one in my bag.  I'll be in tomorrow, probably not until the afternoon though.

John

Robert Powers

Jul 10, 2014, 10:29:34 PM7/10/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Likewise, I keep a set in my bag with one or two triangular sizes. Should be in by 10AM, probably earlier even.

-Bob

Grant Maizels

Jul 11, 2014, 12:17:12 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
It may not be immediately obvious, but often you can use an Allen key in a screw with a triangular recess. Of course a triangular screwdriver tip will be able to transfer more torque before deforming the tip or screw head.

Alternatively I have made small triangular screwdriver tips in the past by filing a piece of coat hanger wire.

Grant

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Andy Gelme <an...@geekscape.org> wrote:

Grant
--
No Viruses were harmed in the making of this email.

Andy Gelme

Jul 11, 2014, 12:24:44 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
hi Grant,

On 2014-07-11 14:17 , Grant Maizels wrote:
> It may not be immediately obvious, but often you can use an Allen key
> in a screw with a triangular recess. Of course a triangular
> screwdriver tip will be able to transfer more torque before deforming
> the tip or screw head.
>
> Alternatively I have made small triangular screwdriver tips in the
> past by filing a piece of coat hanger wire.

I'll probably try first with the correct tool from either John or Rob
(thanks guys). Often, these screws are done up really tight.

However, really pleased to hear of hacker-ish alternatives ... and will
probably give them a go as well, just because !