Help us build a Vacuum Former, Looking for for a new project?

Adric Landman

Aug 22, 2017, 11:02:49 PM8/22/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hello all,

At the space, we have a vacuum former that has not been finished. This is a great tool that can be used for all sorts of interesting things such as modeling shapes, making packages, cases or ever masks. We would like to see this project completed so people can make use of it.

I am looking for someone to take over the project and finish it off. Currently, we have a table with holes in it and vac mounted. We need to have the table properly sealed and painted. Then we need to work out a way to heat the plastic.

No electronics skills are required it's just some sealing and painting.

This project would be a great way to help improve the space and learn new skills.

If you are interested please contact me or just rock up on Tuesday nights.

Thanks,

Adric
Secretary Comunity Connected Hackerspace.

skyler...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 9:53:41 PM8/23/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi Adric,

The Vacformer project has taken some big steps this last month with some visitors working on it on Sundays.
I have been the point of call on this project and we are working on an overhead gantry to heat material and place it on the vacuum in a smooth motion.

Have been speaking to Andy and our president about this project, I should have had the forethought to email everyone about it.

Hoping to have version 1 ready to test really soon.

So I guess I am putting my hand up for this project. The only stipulation is that work will be done on Sundays.

-Gil

Andrew Wallis

Aug 23, 2017, 11:16:58 PM8/23/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
We've been working on it with Gil at the Monthly meetup - the electronics have been reworked and we just need to finish building the top heating section and it'll be done. Hopefully 99% finished at he next meetup!

Adric Landman

Aug 23, 2017, 11:37:06 PM8/23/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Ah, my bad. I did not know it was being worked on. Thanks so much for this Gill.

It's all good if you are taking charge of this I will leave it to you. I would love to see this up and running!

Adric

tubular

Oct 4, 2017, 7:38:04 PM10/4/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
This is looking good, is it working?

Should we make a home for it near the welding / work tables?

Gil P

Oct 7, 2017, 6:20:28 PM10/7/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lachlan,

Still have some work to do on it. Be great if we had a permanent space for the machine.
Going in with the team at 3pm today to see if we can get it all up and running. Anyone who would like to come down and pitch in are more than welcome.

-Gil

On 5 Oct 2017, at 10:38 AM, tubular <lac...@tubularcontrols.com> wrote:

This is looking good, is it working?

Should we make a home for it near the welding / work tables?

skyler...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2017, 7:12:57 PM10/8/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace

Update on the Vacformer.

Just wanted to let you know that the vacformer is still a work in progress.
We tested the heating chamber and was able to manually test the system using some 3mm styrene.The system works, we now are looking at getting the rail system working, cleaning up the electrical circuit and making sure its all safe.

As the heating chamber is now attached to the top of the machine, we left it by the welding area next to Bessie's safety cage. Be great to find it a permanent home.

-Gil

tubular

Oct 8, 2017, 7:47:11 PM10/8/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hey thanks for the update Gil.   I was hoping to get in yesterday but couldn't quite make it.  Its great you're up to the stage you are.

I might spend some time with Rob B discussing and perhaps rearranging some equipment around the lathe, tool bench, vending machine, chemical storage etc. We'll try and factor some room in for the vac former while we're at it.  I brought the ladder in to make a welding curtain rail that keeps out of the way (if necessary).

Basically I think we can make some of this space much more useful.   If anyone has some thoughts/suggestions please let me know.

regards
Lachlan

tubular

Nov 15, 2017, 3:07:19 AM11/15/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
vac former seems to be progressing nicely

I've ordered some 600mm square sheets of 1mm white HIPS sheet for testing and stock