Masters Fundraising BBQ - Saturday April 26th (ANZAC weekend), hawthorn east - call for helpers

tubular

Apr 11, 2014, 6:32:18 PM4/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Our second Masters fundraising BBQ is set for Saturday April 26th, that's two weeks from now.  It's at Masters Hawthorn East, like last time.

We're looking for volunteers either for the morning session, 10:30~12 noon, or afternoon session 12~1:30pm.

I'm optimistic we might raise a bit more than last time, being a Saturday and a long weekend too.

Please let me know if you can help out.

thanks & regards
Lachlan

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 11, 2014, 9:45:20 PM4/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lachlan,

I should be able to help out at either session.

Regards,
Crenn

tubular

Apr 11, 2014, 9:48:28 PM4/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks Crenn

Ben Horan

Apr 13, 2014, 12:40:02 AM4/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lachlan,

I can help out for either (or both) sessions.. I've also got the food safety supervisors cert, if Masters requires this of the club...

Cheers,

Ben

tubular

Apr 13, 2014, 5:27:39 PM4/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben.

They were pretty relaxed last time, so I think we'll be fine  (but if it looks like going pear shaped, you'll be the first to know about it!)

For that reason, probably best you help with the morning session while we're doing the paperwork and setup

cheers
Lachlan

Stuart Young

Apr 13, 2014, 7:04:00 PM4/13/14
to CCHS

I can most likely help out in the afternoon.

--
Cefiar - aka Stuart Young

tubular

Apr 14, 2014, 12:13:18 AM4/14/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cef.

Filling up at Safeway petrol today, they gave me a 15% off voucher for Masters that expires the day after our BBQ.    Anyone know if its just my local servo or all of them?   Not sure what the ACCC will make of this, but in the meantime...

Roboticist Mark

Apr 14, 2014, 1:10:00 AM4/14/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I got one of these also, from the local Safeway.

It seems they really want people to up their spend at Masters, but I was planning on spending mine on that weekend also :-D

Mark

Brett A Wiggins

Apr 19, 2014, 1:42:04 AM4/19/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 12/04/2014 8:32 am, tubular wrote:
> Our second Masters fundraising BBQ is set for Saturday April 26th,
> that's two weeks from now. It's at Masters Hawthorn East, like
> last time.

I should be able to help out in the morning. I haven't been very
active on the list or at the space because I haven't been well.

Brett.

--
"If you are new to UNIX, you may be used to clicking something and
seeing either an "OK" message, an error, nothing, or (all too often) a

tubular

Apr 21, 2014, 9:54:27 PM4/21/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brett, and everyone so far

We still need more helpers for this.   Anyone else able to spare some time?

regards
Lachlan

Rob Gannon

Apr 21, 2014, 10:05:16 PM4/21/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I can come. Let me know which shift is preferable.

tubular

Apr 22, 2014, 9:19:56 PM4/22/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob.

We have an even split between morning and arvo shifts.  I'd suggest pick the one that best suits you and your family, and Trystan (who has also offered either) could do the other shift

So far it looks like

Morning shift - Ben, Brett, myself, Rob/Trystan
Afternoon shift - Cef, Andy, myself, Trystan/Rob

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 25, 2014, 9:07:13 AM4/25/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Can I get clarification to what shift I'm helping out with tomorrow?

-Trystan

Rob Gannon

Apr 25, 2014, 10:57:30 AM4/25/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Can you do afternoon so I can do morning?

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 25, 2014, 5:06:48 PM4/25/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

tubular

Apr 26, 2014, 7:55:33 PM4/26/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who came down and helped with the BBQ yesterday.

The lower table (inside) took in $321 and the upper stall about $331 in a very close fought battle in challenging conditions.   After costs we raised about $545.

Ben Horan

Apr 26, 2014, 10:17:41 PM4/26/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Nice work!

With an honourable mention to the cyclonic wind and drizzle - which although not officially involved proved a very worthy foe… Apart from flying onions, bread, serving trays, foil, gloves and serviettes, I believe at one point I saw a house and a cackling green woman being twirled around the Masters car park…  ;-)

-Ben

Apr 27, 2014, 5:18:03 AM4/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
A very well done job to all involved.

The conditions were truly disheartening and probably depressed the take somewhat.

And my daughter isn't green, but she was dragging me all over; I apologise I couldn't help more.

Suggested list for next outing;
* coordinated Ponchos. Ws2182 not included ?
* 3D printer in a weatherproof box
* rigid signage
* holder for multiple sausage assembly
* semi-automated sausage sandwich assembly robot
* Sauce robot (see 3D printer in a box)

Stuart Young

Apr 27, 2014, 6:39:04 AM4/27/14
to CCHS

Things we definitely need if we do another Masters BBQ:

1. Minimum 5 people per shift (not 4), tho more welcome. 2 upstairs selling, 2 downstairs selling and 1 cooking/ferrying food/ brief fill-ins for loo breaks.

2. Smaller foil trays that fit in the Masters bain marie better but are big enough for lots of sausages. This way the lids will sit flat and keep the food warmer.

3. Signage for upstairs and especially downstairs. We need a large sign that explains what the hackerspace is, in simple dot points, with pictures as well. Will elaborate on this when I am actually in front of a PC rather than on my phone.

4. Visible projects. LED scrolling displays (we could put sausage/drink prices on them?), LED based displays, simple robots/remote control stuff. Basically stuff that gets peoples attention. To part of this I can give CCHS a Freetronics DMD to use in a scrolling sign. Maybe with some LED strips we could add a few buttons and make something simple but interactive.

--
Cefiar - aka Stuart Young

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 27, 2014, 7:15:30 AM4/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
An idea which is semi-useful and something that might get a little attention is a LED display showing the current BBQ temp measured with either a thermocouple or a thermopile.

3 people are needed upstairs almost, it was more efficient for one to handle BBQ including cooking, one to gather orders and one to handle cash and relay orders. If we wanted to get 'serious' we could also have a tablet (hanging on the railing) displaying current orders with input from the cashiers from both upstairs and downstairs. That way we can handle cooking sausages/managing stocks easier.

-Trystan

Ben Horan

Apr 27, 2014, 7:28:26 AM4/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Good idea.. Of more importance than the BBQ Temp itself is the temperature of wherever we're keeping the cooked food awaiting serving, and the location we're storing raw meat (expectation is that whether in a proper bain marine or one of our other improv'd trays, we're expected to keep cooked meat above 60oC and uncooked meat controlled below 4oC constantly..

We did have a powered fridge upstairs as part of the Masters-supplied infrastructure  that we didn't use that would probably be better than unchilled esky's for the raw snags next time perhaps?

Agree with Trystan - both for efficiency and hygiene - cooking, serving and cash handling should be handled by 3 separate people (and in the case of cooking / serving - handled with separate utensils). A few more names on the roster could be helpful for future gigs. :-)

Cheers,

Ben
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Connected Community HackerSpace" group.

Ben Horan

Apr 27, 2014, 7:45:12 AM4/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Oh – and small things - duplicate sets of each sauce flavour for upstairs / downstairs (and little things like foil, gloves etc doubled-up in volume if we’re running two stalls), possibly have one of the huge drinks esky’s in each location rather than 2 upstairs, and 2 x 5kg bags of ice per esky to begin with to cool those big boys – we split the flavours between two eskies and had one lot unchilled all day due to lack of ice… ;-)

+1 for Lauren’s/Stuart’s suggestions (I especially like “co-ordinated ponchos”, signage/flashy things, and rack(s) for preparing to serve multiple snags – not that we don’t have some excellent jugglers in the club!)…. If anyone has any good ideas for wind-breakers that might re-direct gale forces from going across the top of the 2 BBQ hotplates, that’d be cool too! J

-Ben

Stuart Young

Apr 27, 2014, 8:32:57 PM4/27/14
to CCHS
Regarding something for the BBQ to deal with the wind, it might simply be worth mentioning it to Masters. A BBQ with an actual hood on it would be the perfect solution, and some of the ones without hoods have a hood available as an add-on. If it's got a glass window too, that would be the perfect solution, as then you can see how the sausages are doing without having to open it, but even a non-window hood would be an improvement. And on non-windy/non-wet days it can simply be left open.

Re: The fridge. Was this a small bar fridge by any chance? Last time we did this, that small bar fridge was downstairs and we put cans in it. Given we had no cold cans downstairs this time, that would have been useful to know on the day (I dind't know this as I only arrived for the afternoon shift and no one mentioned it) as we could have moved it down there and chucked all the cans in it, even if only for the afternoon.

IMO before we tackle fun and interesting things such as sauce dispensing robots, visual temp sensors and the like, we HAVE to get the basics down pat. At the moment (once again IMO) we're failing to do this in multiple ways. Mostly we're failing on using this opportunity to publicise ourselves with singage, and in ways to grab the attention of people who may not necessarily want to buy sausages or otherwise notice that we even had sausages for sale (downstairs).

Downstairs, we got a lot of people who were so busy and wrapped up in their own world they didn't even see the sausage sizzle sign (sometimes because people were blocking by standing in front of it) and walked straight past us. Unlike upstairs, downstairs does not have the lure of the BBQ cooking (sounds, sights and smells) to consistently attract peoples attention. I'm sure a few simply thought we were some sort of weird group who wanted to push their views on people, rather than attract like-minded people and who also happened to be selling food.

BTW: We often had snow-ball effects happen due to people being served a sausage as someone else came in the door resulted in that new person buying a sausage as well. This resulted in many cases where we had people 3 or more deep waiting to be served, which leaves little time to talk to them about the hackerspace.

Regarding people/rostering: We kept trading downstairs till well after 3pm (the bain marie makes this easy), and we need to take this into account when rostering. It may even be worthwhile having 3 shifts of people selling, to avoid burn-out. I actually had to be somewhere Saturday evening, and I was quite lucky that, despite only Nemo, Lachlan and myself doing any cleaning/packing up downstairs, I got to my event on time. Given the shift was mentioned as being 12-2pm, and I eventually left Masters closer to 3:30pm. I then dropped in briefly at the space to help Lachlan drop stuff off closer to 4pm. All in all I found this rather stressful.

PS: Nemo did a truly amazing job. The guy was there early in the morning, and due to the numbers of people needed being incorrect, he stayed on and helped out right till close. That's probably > 6 hours all told (though he did have a break in the middle), which while an absolutely stellar effort (once again Nemo, thank you), should not have been needed.

Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)

tubular

Apr 27, 2014, 9:51:29 PM4/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys

Some good ideas here.   We'll look to do things a bit better each time (including simpler, where possible).  I do think double sauce makes a heap of sense.  Picking 'rainbow boxes' from the CCHS drinks fridge on the morning is easier... think I'll do that for everything next time rather than split open new boxes at masters/bunnings

Yes it would be great to have projects on display.   Even if not fully operational, its good for a discussion purposes.   You guys downstairs did a great job talking to people about what we do.  Upstairs with the wind and sizzle its a bit harder.   I expect we'll get half a dozen or more visitors to CCHS out of this, though.

I'm keen to keep it just to two shifts, unless we have a heap of help, but there is a skew between the top stall upstairs (where you have to start cooking early) and the car park stall downstairs.   One thing we did well was pack up upstairs relatively early, kept selling downstairs, which made efficient use of time while masters were doing the upstairs inspection etc.   Downstairs would make sense to have shifts something like 11-12:30, 12:30-14:00 or even slightly later.

I think we should do a Bunnings Hawthorn one next, where there is one stall and it should be a bit easier all round.  Except the queue is longer.  I need committee help with that to even get in the queue, as applications need to be in writing from the committee.

cheers
Lachlan