Does the hackerspace or any member have a vaccum pump?

Mathew Norman

Apr 27, 2015, 10:01:53 PM4/27/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I am wanting to make a vacuum powered cannon like the one seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBY3Z4F0dxk
Unlike that one, mine will be firing nerf darts into a tube (no darts flying around the space).

This is a day build/proof of concept.
I have all the other parts, I am just missing a vacuum.

Robert Powers

Apr 27, 2015, 10:09:58 PM4/27/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
There was a vacuum pump that belonged (I think) to John Spencer which was going to be part of a vacuum former. Project page now lists Jack Rose whom you might want to have a discussion: http://www.hackmelbourne.org/wiki/project:member:vacuum_former

Cheers,
Bob

Luke Weston

Apr 28, 2015, 1:53:05 AM4/28/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
My vacuum pump (which is actually just a fridge compressor with the suction line closed, so it will pull some vacuum on the low-side service port) is at the Hackerspace.

Feel free to use it, with common-sense "other people's tools" rules - don't modify it and don't taking it home without asking me, please.

You'll need a hose with a standard refrigeration-style Schraeder valve connector to connect to it. You can borrow a hose from me, if you put a Schraeder valve on your vacuum chamber. Don't tip it the compressor upside down or the compressor oil could drain out. Please ask if there's anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  Luke