Re: Commercial List [WAS Re: [CCHS] Introducing evive: ...]

Robert Powers

Jul 19, 2016, 6:51:46 PM7/19/16
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I found great value in the commercial list and the connections made there. While I had noticed the duty-officers list was not suggested for use, I hadn't realized the commercial list was deprecated also.

I feel it extremely necessary that a commercial aspect to communications be available to our members and preferred the segregated approach, however, I am completely comfortable if there is a workable moderation process on the main list. Who takes on that overhead is always an issue, of course.

Cheers,
Bob

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Tim Eastwood <tim.eas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Clifford

I wasn't the one to approve the email (it was marked as spam) but I did consider letting it through thinking it was a pretty neat little gadget that some of the peoples here might enjoy... which I guess was the motivation from whoever approved it

We'd disabled the commercial email list in order to bring together club comms into one place and reduce the number of channels that only a handful of people bother to look at... but we may need to look at something different for commercial comms as I can see members having an issue with this stuff on the main list. It was just a trial run so we can turn it back on at any time. The idea was that we only allow through a limited quantity of commercial content we think members will enjoy

I think a better way forward might be for us (the cttee / email approvers) to have commercial senders request approval and then we send the content of the email through with a line saying - permitted by CCHS cttee. Then members don't feel like they are getting spammed by randoms and can see it's from us

thoughts?

On Tuesday, 19 July 2016 14:09:44 UTC+10, Clifford Heath wrote:
This message violates the non-commercial rules of this mailing list,
see <http://www.hackmelbourne.org/get-in-touch-with-cchs/>.

Clifford Heath.

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 6:48 AM, Abhishek Sharma <abh...@evive.cc> wrote:
[SPAM]

James Muraca

Jul 20, 2016, 7:28:32 PM7/20/16
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I believe the commercial list was a great addition for contacting and hearing from like minded people around Melbourne. I have posted on the main list about commercial aspects before the second list and have very clearly informed it was not the place for it.
With the often strong opinions on the list, it may be subjective as to what is moderated. Are tronixlabs or freetronics specials still allowed? Or group buys at various retailers? What about a new Melbourne hardware product getting into the market and asking advice? Or someone trying to sell, not donate, old equipment like a cro or laser cutter?
I realise the hackerspace aims to build a not for profit and educational community, but there is significant value in fostering commercial conversation to encourage people to have a go.
If there is incredibly little or no maintenance required, I think it's a valuable resource and I would love for it to remain.
If it's a cost cut for the $50 a year Google email fee (not sure of group lists have this) I'm happy to foot that for a few years up front.