Advice on getting started with CNC routing/laser cutting

Joshua Spry

Aug 31, 2015, 7:43:48 AM8/31/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the space and I'm after a bit of advice on how to get started with CNC routing and laser cutting. I have a project in mind but I'm not really sure where to start with designing something or how to use the equipment. Any advice or pointer to where I should begin would be great.

Thanks,
Josh Spry

John Spencer

Aug 31, 2015, 10:16:48 PM8/31/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh

I can only advise base on my own experience, so your mileage may vary a little here.

My workflow is:
Design my panels using Sketchup.
Use CamBam to generate the gcode (The hackerspace has a site license and members get a discount).
Depending on the machine, either LinuxCNC or Pronterface/Marlin to process the gcode.

For the Laser Cutter, we have a guide available on our wiki: http://www.hackmelbourne.org/wiki/doc:tools:laser_cutter
Hopefully that will get you started.

John

Michael Wheeler

Aug 31, 2015, 10:24:14 PM8/31/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Laser cutter v2 (the black one) instructions can be found here http://www.hackmelbourne.org/wiki/doc:tools:laser_cutter2 which uses Inkscape the generate the gcode (however cambam still works as well).

Johnny Izzard

Sep 6, 2015, 7:26:54 AM9/6/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hey Josh,
are you planning on using the space's CNC or building your own system? I highly recommend to anyone learning CNC to learn to use fusion 360. It's free, easy to learn and use and is a professional CAD (2D + 3D) and CAM (2.5D) application. I have also used it for exporting 3D models for 3D printing. You won't find a better application for CNC out there for free. There are plenty of online learning material to get you started: http://fusion360.autodesk.com/learning/index.html

If you're interested, this guy does some really cool CNC videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp?app=desktop

Johnny.

Joshua Spry

Sep 9, 2015, 8:29:57 AM9/9/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks for the advice and links. I'll definitely give fusion360 a look.

I was planning on using the spaces CNC and laser cutter. I haven't actually used a laser cutter before and would like to start off with a design that's already made to get an idea of how the machine works. I'm aiming to make something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16290

Would anyone be willing to walk me through it at the space on a Monday?

Cheers,
Josh

Joshua Spry

Sep 19, 2015, 10:45:28 PM9/19/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
So I found the how to on the wiki for the laser cutter and it said to start out with simple shapes using acrylic. Sounds good to me.

So I have another question: what do I need to know about cutting acrylic with a laser cutter?

I went down to Bunnings and found some sheets of acrylic (http://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-900-x-600-x-3mm-clear-acrylic-sheet-_p1010496). Are these suitable for using with the laser cutter?

Cheers,
Josh

John Spencer

Sep 20, 2015, 6:00:37 AM9/20/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Josh

If they're acrylic they should be fine.

We also have a range of colours and types pre-cut to the bed size at the space.  Prices are as marked

John

Jonathan Oxer

Sep 20, 2015, 7:35:14 AM9/20/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com, Connected Community HackerSpace
The acrylic sheets at Bunnings are fine (I use them in my laser cutter) but be careful when you select them. The same brand has other types of plastic in the same sizes, and the labels even look the same. The only way to tell them apart is to check the label and make sure it says "acrylic".

Last time I was at Bunnings I found the stacks mixed up, with different types of plastic on the acrylic pile.

Cheers

Jon

Sent from Mailbox