HackerSpace open now! Sat 30th Apr 2016

Dale Gomes

Apr 29, 2016, 8:00:25 PM4/29/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
I have opened up this morning if anyone wants access.
Dale

S. Brett Sutton

May 1, 2016, 8:37:49 AM5/1/16
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
This is my brothers robot. 2 years of work.

He simply told the robot to go to the top left hand corner of the map.

Rasberrry PI on board, using hazel cast to communicate with PC.

Primary sensor is a low cost lidar, you can see the mirror on top
rotating to control the direction of the laser.

rotary encoders on the wheels, compass and gyro all contribute to some
extent.

Code is mostly java with a couple of C libraries for some hardware comms.

https://youtu.be/fJJsSuB1KTg

Rob Gannon

May 1, 2016, 5:58:43 PM5/1/16
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Thats awesome!  Is that using ROS?

S. Brett Sutton

May 1, 2016, 7:17:12 PM5/1/16
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
No, he wrote the code from scratch.

Did one of those free online uni courses where he learnt about particle filters and a few other robotics concepts.

He has gone through a lot of iterations with the hardware and software.
This was his first successful navigation run.

Next step is to implement mapping software so the robot can build up a map of its own environment.

After thats working he plans on taking over the world with an army of tank robots.