Fwd: Super Sunday Recreation Count is on again this November!

Ben Horan

Sep 16, 2015, 7:02:16 PM9/16/15
to CCHS Members Mailing List
Hi all,

For those familiar, volunteering for one of Bicycle Networks bike counts is a really low sweat way to raise some funds for CCHS.

A handful of people have been involved in the Super Tuesday commuter bike count over the past 2 years, and by nominating "Connected Community HackerSpace (CCHS)" in the box for "club/charity to receive my counters reward", we've gotten $50/head towards the club.

This count is different. They're aiming to capture the use of bike paths and trails and recreational cyclists rather than commuter cyclists on the roads. The counting shift is 4 hours long, but the reward to the club if you volunteer (and don't forget to mention CCHS on the sign-up web form!) is $120 a pop!

It's on a Sunday (8th November), which may be easier for some to accommodate than the previous Super Tuesday counts.

I'm letting you all know before sign-ups go public, because its first in best dressed when it comes to having your pick of counting sites (and therefore claiming a site that's nearest you). Places go really quickly once sign-ups open, so if you're interested, please put the date/time as a reminder in your calendar.

If 4 hours is too much of a stretch, you may be able to find a buddy to split the shift with via here and do two hours each (in this scenario, only 1 person should sign up, and please be confident that all 4 hours can be counted - the quality of this data they collect on cyclists numbers and usage patterns is important to them).

I can say that, if you can spare 4 hours on Sunday 8th November, that this is really easy fundraising (all you need to do is bring a clip-board, some sunblock, and probably a folding chair, count and tick off the number of cyclists in your location as directed, lodge your results, and CCHS becomes $120 richer for your efforts).

If only 10 people from this entire mailing list signed up to do the count (and very important - you have to mention CCHS during signup (there's a form field specifically for nominating the club/charity to be the benefactor of your counting efforts and we're already registered as "Connected Community HackerSpace"), that'd be $1200 smackeroonies for the club. If we want a bigger venue or new gizmos, gadgets and tools, then more money in the bank is a crucial factor.

These Super Bike Count's are open for anyone to volunteer. If you can convince family or mates to sign up at nearby counting sites, you can catch up in the middle for a picnic or BBQ afterwards - spread the word near and far if you like!

I'll send out another email next Monday when registrations are open.

I'd encourage you - if you do sign up, or you have any questions, please reply to this thread. I'll keep a head-count of registrations to ensure we get paid for the correct amount after the event.

Recreational cyclists are likely to be a lot more friendly and leisurely than the Tuesday commuters we've counted in the past, so as they pass you in your (free) official counter's t-shirt, feel free to say hello (just don't lose count lol)!

Hope we'll get some interest for this. The bike counts themselves are used as data collection to advise councils and government planning orgs on the popularity and usage patterns of roads/bike paths/off-road bike trails etc. Without this data, there wouldn't be funding to make cycling safer (or if you're a cyclist hating driver - infrastructure to keep cyclists safely separate from cars). Either way, the data collected does get used for something quite useful, and for any clubs/charities/etc who mobilise their people to get involved and register as a counter, it's an incredibly easy fundraiser for them. Hope that together we can get some cash rolling in for the club (especially as this event pays $120 per counter rather than $50 for the Tuesday morning counts!).

Cheers!

Ben

From: Bicycle Network <bikef...@bicyclenetwork.com.au>
Date: 17 September 2015 8:32:03 am AEST
Subject: Super Sunday Recreation Count is on again this November!

Can't see this? View Online
Super-Tuesday-Sales-v1.png

Rider number: 991909

Hi Ben,

Super Sunday Recreation Count is back again this year!

This year, Super Sunday Count is being held on Sunday 8 November 2015 with the aim to collect data on recreational trails, off-road or major intersections. This all helps to build the case for better recreational infrastructure across your community.

Registrations open on:

  • Monday, 21 September at 8am for previous counters
  • Tuesday, 22 September at 8am for everyone else

Get ready to register next week to secure your favourite count site on the day. We will send a reminder email next week to ensure you don't miss out on securing your preferred spot.

Similar to last year, you can nominate $120 to go (per site for a 4-hour time period) towards a nominated organisation, if you successfully complete the count and submit your data to us. The eligible nominated organisations can include any local community group, Bicycle User Group, school, or any non-for-profit.

Visit the Super Sunday website to find a count site near you.

find-out-more-cyan_btn.png

social social social
Bicycle Network Logo

Contact us
Bicycle Network
Freecall: 1800 639 634

Visit bicyclenetwork.com.au for more information

Thank you for being part of the Bicycle Network community.
Update your email preference details to make sure we are sending you information that is relevant to you.

Tim Eastwood

Sep 17, 2015, 11:47:40 PM9/17/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks for the heads up. I have bookmarked it and will sign up when it opens, if I'm able at the time. Some extra $$ for the space won't hurt at all and I think I can spare 4 hours :)

Ben Horan

Sep 20, 2015, 1:51:52 AM9/20/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks Tim! Let me know if you register.

Reminder for everyone else - for the club members that have volunteered for previous bike counts, registrations open tomorrow morning, and for everyone else who's interested, Tuesday morning is your opportunity.

First in, best dressed for choice of location (so it pays to register early if you have the chance).

In the field for the "nominated club/charity", please make sure you enter "Connected Community HackerSpace (CCHS)" - then the club benefits $120/person for 4 hours easy work with a pen and clipboard.

Thanks in advance to readers who are looking to volunteer - it's a really easy way to get some extra funds in the club's bank account!

Cheers,

Ben

Ben Horan

Sep 20, 2015, 6:19:21 PM9/20/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

For anyone registering for the Super Sunday Recreation Bike Count, please see below screen grab of the all-important selection to enable CCHS to benefit from your volunteer time.

You can choose to either count for two or four hours at a count site. Counting for the full four hours earns the space $120.00 for your time, so if you can manage the full count duration, all the better.

Counters receive a free "bike count bandana" to wear (going for a pirate look this year by the sounds lol). BYO sunblock and probably a folding chair.

I’ve signed up this morning (please email this thread if you register so we can track numbers). For any new counters (who haven’t participated in the Super Tuesday commuter bike counts over the past two years), registrations open tomorrow morning at 8am. If you’re a veteran counter, registrations are open right now! J

Don’t have time on Sunday 8th November to count some bikes yourself (remembering that you can opt for a half shift [2 hours] if you’re time sparse), but have mates that are keen on cycling? Perhaps you can tempt them to register for the count (as the data benefits them, driving funding decisions for bike infrastructure upgrades and expansions)? If they nominate CCHS as per the above pic, we still win! You definitely don’t need to be a financial member of CCHS to help us out.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Ben

image001.png

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Sep 21, 2015, 6:20:29 PM9/21/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Just registered for a 4 hour stint near my house.

-Crenn

Ben Horan

Sep 21, 2015, 7:47:22 PM9/21/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tristan! :-)

Ben Horan

Sep 25, 2015, 9:34:06 PM9/25/15
to CCHS Members Mailing List, CCHS Duty Officer Mailing List
Hi all,

Just another go to see if anyone else could spare a few hours to help raise some funds for CCHS at Bicycle Network's Super Sunday Bike Count on Sunday 8th November.

There are still counting spots available - some for the full 4 hours, and some have a vacant 2 hour slot of the total count time.

For anyone who registers, and nominates CCHS (see screen capture below), the club will receive a donation for your participation - see for your time as follows:
  • First session: 9am - 11am (Full amount of donation will be $60
  • Second session: 11am - 1pm (Full amount of donation will be $60)
  • Both sessions: 9am - 1pm (Full amount of donation will be $120

It's a really easy way to raise some cash for a non-profit organisation. It'd be great if we could get a few more volunteers (only 2 confirmed so far, so pretty please give it a look!) - even if you can only spare 2 hours instead of the full 4.

Any takers? Please let me know by replying to this thread if you register. You don't have to be a financial member of CCHS - you can rope in friends or family (they just need to put on the registration form that the proceeds should go to "Connected Community HackerSpace (CCHS)".

Thanks for considering getting involved. Lots of people have ideas for the club - new tools, bigger venue, etc. Let's pitch in by getting some money in the bank for the club to support some of these goals. And it's as easy as using a pen and tally sheet, as members who've participated in previous counts can no doubt attest.

Cheers,

Ben

Begin forwarded message:

Tim Eastwood

Sep 25, 2015, 10:45:23 PM9/25/15
to Connected Community HackerSpace
I have registered, looks like I took the last spot available in melb

Ben Horan

Sep 25, 2015, 10:56:06 PM9/25/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim - your effort is appreciated! :-)

There was a bunch of spots on the map showing in a dark green colour an hour or two ago which seemed to be spots that only had 2 of the 4 hours covered.

I'll do another check - if this is still the case, it might be a chance for people who can't spare 4 hours (and it'd still earn CCHS $60/spot).

Stay tuned! :-)

On 26 Sep 2015, at 12:45 pm, Tim Eastwood <fybr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have registered, looks like I took the last spot available in melb

Ben Horan

Sep 25, 2015, 11:17:01 PM9/25/15
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Is anyone located near Fitzroy North that could do a 2 hour counting shift? Tim’s right – the spaces have been gobbled up fast (and the map on their page is out of date with vacancy statuses).

There’s currently a space located at: Merri Creek Trail [SE], Merri Creek/Koonda Lat Bridge [S], Merri Creek Trail [N]

Might be gone by the time people read this, but worth a stab.

So far, we’ve got an extra $360 for CCHS. $420 if someone nabs the partial (2 hours) shift remaining above. Otherwise, that’s it until next year.

Thanks to Trystan and Tim for volunteering already – it’s appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben

Mark Street

Oct 6, 2015, 6:46:01 PM10/6/15
to CCHS Duty Officers, connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

I won't be able to make it to this one as I will be out of the country that week,

Cheers

Mark

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Nov 7, 2015, 4:59:14 PM11/7/15