how to use USBasp progammer, without command line

pete...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 1:26:01 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I made an arduino to program attiny44, but also bought a USBasp progammer:
I cant get the USBasp progammer to work, thought the drivers installed.
It seems like you have to use command line & hex files. Im not keen to do this as most command line docs I saw dont support attiny44,
they require me to get hex file etc.
With the nano, I just upload (using programer option) and it works great, and is simple.
So how do I use the USBasp programmer to do this. It will need to create a com port to the attiny44 is my guess.

John Spencer

Jul 11, 2014, 1:45:03 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

It sounds like you should be able to do everything you're talking about using the Arduino IDE.  I've successfully used my USBasp programmer from the IDE to program both my attiny 85's and 84's.  Unfortunately there is no com port option with the attiny range.

You stated that you thought the drivers were installed.  Just in case, I normally find the instructions from freetronics are a pretty good guide (http://www.freetronics.com/pages/usbasp-icsp-programmer-quickstart-guide#.U793rfmSzf4).

Next, you'll need to install board descriptions for the attiny range into the arduino IDE.  (I think I used https://github.com/damellis/attiny/).  These will need to go in an "attiny" directory in your arduino installation Hardware directory (e.g. something like C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware)

After you've installed those and restarted your IDE, you'll need to select the appropriate attiny from the list of boards.

Before uploading your sketch you'll have to set the internal fuses on your attiny.  You do this by using the Tools->Burn Bootloader option.

Your attiny should now be ready to use the "Upload using Programmer" option from the file menu.

John

Luke Weston

Jul 11, 2014, 1:45:39 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
If you're programming an Arduino bootloader onto an Arduino-compatible target chip then you can use the Arduino IDE, you don't have to use the command line, as long as you're using a programmer type supported by the Arduino IDE, which you are. First you'll need to have boards.txt etc updated with hardware definitions for the chips you're using if you're using non-standard things such as ATtiny. So you should be able to select an appropriate "board" from the menu. Now just select USBAsp as the programmer type, connect the target chip correctly, and hit burn bootloader and it should work. There is no serial port to select, since the USBAsp is not a serial device.

Try reading the following. Obviously Freetronics does not support it if you've got a generic USBAsp-compatible programmer from eBay or something, but it's worth reading anyway and seeing if the appropriate features (eg. the slow clock jumper) can be mapped over to your board. In particular it's worth noting the oscillator fuse setting and the use of the slow clock jumper if you're using brand new AVRs for the first time. Of course this assumes that the programmer hardware (and the firmware in the programmer) actually works.

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/usbasp-icsp-programmer-quickstart-guide#.U7912R9d7TE

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM, <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

This email is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the human(s) named above. If intercepted by an extraterrestrial civilization, all opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of mankind as a whole.

peter zwag

Jul 11, 2014, 2:05:41 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
resolved thank you.
Im most happy!

Thanks
Peter Zwag
pe...@zwag.id.au

Zac Faragher

Jul 11, 2014, 2:13:35 AM7/11/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
If you are looking at programming it through the Arduino IDE, here is a very good place to start: http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695
It has the cpu descriptor files that you need to put in your Arduino Hardware folder.
I'm pretty sure this is where I got the files when I started programming ATtinies, and they work well.

Then if you want to use the USBasp, you need to select this as the programmer in your Arduino IDE.

-Zac F