LCD clock projector update

Antoinette J. Citizen

Oct 7, 2017, 12:58:05 AM10/7/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I came into the hackerspace a couple of months ago working on a projection clock - with a 10mm LCD screen. Everyone was very helpful - so I wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I managed to get the LCD working!  It needed network resistors on the COM lines and each COM line to be pulsed separately in succession. I have attached some pictures and code below.

The only problem I have now is with the plastic ribbon cable connection - I have just been soldering it on at a low temp - but it seems to lose connection after a day or so.
I think I need to connect it with a pulse heat bonding machine - like this. So trying to research where I could get access to one- or if there is a place I could get it sent off to.

Does anyone know anything about these pulse heat bonding machines or alternative methods?

This is the Arduino code I wrote to get it working:
https://github.com/acitizen/LCD/tree/master/LCD_DIGITS_BASIC_TEST

Basically, it needs to go through this cycle for each of the 3 COM lines in succession:
ALL COMS - SET AS INPUT
ACTIVE COM - SET AS OUTPUT
ACTIVE COM -  HIGH
Segments Visible - LOW
Segments not visible - HIGH
DELAY for 2ms
ACTIVE COM -  LOW
Segments Visible - HIGH
Segments not visible - LOW
DELAY for 2ms

This is how it is multiplexed:

MULTIPLEXING-01.png

and the resistors on COM lines:

lcd_schem.png

lcd.jpg
LCD_projection.jpg

Robert Powers

Oct 7, 2017, 5:50:19 AM10/7/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antoinette,

What does this ribbon cable connect to? A PCB?

You could try solder paste and a hot air pencil, both can be found at the CCHS (I think). Liberally use Kapton (polyimide) tape to protect nearby heat sensitive elements. The preheater can also be a boon. I suspect you'll have success this way unless I'm picturing your situation incorrectly.

Good luck,
Bob

Antoinette J. Citizen

Oct 7, 2017, 6:26:16 AM10/7/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
The ribbon cable is a flexible printed circuit I believe. It is adhesive on the reverse side. I have been removing the cable and trying to adhere it with heat to a circuit board I made. But it only works temporarily.

Possibly if I left the cable connected to the original circuit board, and cut the pcb down to size - I could use solder paste and a hot air pencil to attach wires to the adjacent solder pads? I tried to do this before using soldering iron and solder- but the pads were a bit too small for me to do this successfully. But I will try with the paste.

This is the original connection, the smaller cable at the top of the image goes to the LCD:

LCD_cable.jpg

Adric Landman

Oct 18, 2017, 8:25:55 PM10/18/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
That's great work. I remember trying to work out what was going on with that projector!

LCD_cable.jpg