Bookclub

Robert Powers

Jul 13, 2014, 4:25:18 AM7/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com, John Spencer
Hey Mates,

John Spencer and I are doing a CCHS book club. Well, he's talked about it with me, but since I'm sending the email, he's stuck helping now. Thanks John!

We have no idea what a book club is supposed to be, so we're just going to pick a book and if you want to participate, you can read it in the next month and meet with us on August 12 (Tuesday general session) at the CCHS at 8:30PM. Then we'll talk about it. I guess.

Anyone that has actually ever been involved in a book club, errrm, you can tell us if we're supposed to be doing something other than that.

This month's book is The Forge of God by Greg Bear

You can get your own copy however you like, but amazingly, I've chosen one that is on the HumbleBundle eBook bundle and you can pick it up for paying more than the average right here: https://www.humblebundle.com/books. I've done that and have a DRM-free electronic copy (.pdf,.epub,.mobi) I'd be happy to share with anyone who can't scrape together US$12, provided they promise not to read it at the same time I do and return it when they are done; so let not expense be an issue in participating ; )

Here's a blurb about the book:
On July 26, Arthur Gordon learns that Europa, the sixth moon of Jupiter, has disappeared. On September 28, Edward Shaw finds an error in the geological records of Death Valley, and a dying guest brings devastating news for Edward and for Planet Earth.

As more unexplained phenomena spring up around the globe—a granite mountain appearing in Australia, sounds emanating from the Earth’s core, flashes of light among the asteroids—it becomes clear to some that the end is approaching, and there is nothing we can do.

Facing the destruction of all they know, some people turn to God, others to their families, and a few turn to saviors promising escape from a planet tearing itself apart.

Nominated for a Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1987 and for Hugo and Locus Awards in 1988, The Forge of God is an engrossing read, breathtaking in its scope and detail.

Away!

Cheers,
Bob

John Spencer

Jul 13, 2014, 5:29:26 AM7/13/14
to Robert Powers, connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for kicking this off Bob.  Goes without saying, but I'm in :)

Rob Gannon

Jul 13, 2014, 7:16:48 PM7/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Is there a movie of the book I can download?

Brett Wiggins

Jul 13, 2014, 7:28:58 PM7/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rob,

I think I'd like to get in on this.

Brett

Luke Weston

Jul 13, 2014, 7:36:22 PM7/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
First rule of book club: You don't talk about book club.
Second rule: Um, I think you just talk about the book if you want to, nothing special you need to do.
And third rule: Try not to pick a book that is too long to practically read in a month. However, there are many great books that are a little bit long, so we might agree to do one for two months, some time.

This email is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the human(s) named above. If intercepted by an extraterrestrial civilization, all opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of mankind as a whole.

Jen Strover

Jul 13, 2014, 11:45:13 PM7/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com, john.spe...@gmail.com
This is an awesome idea!  I'm always interested in new sci-fi but usually can't be bothered finding it.

I might not manage to read this month's book, but will definitely join in on the book club at some point.

Robert Powers

Aug 6, 2014, 1:50:39 AM8/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I think John meant this for a wider audience than one (or was I BCC'd?)

It's your one week minus one day warning ... I'd better start reading !!

-Bob

Aug 6, 2014, 2:14:13 AM8/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I'm reading the book but wont be able to physically attend due to where
I am. Could I join in over Skype or a Google hangout? The ward I'm on
has free Wi-Fi for patients so I have Internet while I'm here.

Brett.

On 6/08/2014 3:50 pm, Robert Powers wrote:
> I think John meant this for a wider audience than one (or was I BCC'd?)
>
> It's your one week minus one day warning ... I'd better start reading !!
>
> -Bob

"If you are new to UNIX, you may be used to clicking something and
seeing either an "OK" message, an error, nothing, or (all too often) a
pretty blue screen with nifty high-tech letters' explaining exactly
where the system crashed" - Michael Lucas