CCHS Book Club - Jan 2017

Jen Strover

Nov 7, 2016, 10:43:58 PM11/7/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi everyone,

December is a quiet month at the hackerspace, so the next book club will be in the new year, on Tuesday 10 January, 2017 at 8pm.

Since we've got a couple of months to read the book this time, I've chosen a nice long holiday read - The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin:

Set against the backdrop of China’s Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth.

You can find Australian library holdings for this book on Trove.

Hopefully I'll see you there!

Jen.

Tim Eastwood

Nov 8, 2016, 5:41:20 PM11/8/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi Jen,

I'm excited to read this one :) It seems highly regarded in a number of reviews.

I just finished a series of short stories, and some full length stories, from "Galactic: A Space Opera Collection" which were absolutely fantastic. A couple of them were very unusual as well which was very 'different' for me but turned out to be a great reading experience. Highly recommend it.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Eastwood

Nov 22, 2016, 10:25:06 PM11/22/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Phwoar, what a story. I'm not much a physics buff but I loved the book and managed to stay on top of what was happening despite. Definitely will be getting the next one in the series. It was a nice change of pace from the Star Nomad series I've been stuck into lately. I'm also pretty impressed at how well it read following translation. I wonder if the atmosphere of the book is the same when read in its native tongue?

I don't know yet if I'll be around on Jan 10th, most likely not, so figured I'd leave a comment here. Thanks for an awesome read.

Cheers,
Tim

James Denier

Nov 23, 2016, 4:31:28 AM11/23/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace

Ha, purely by coincidence I picked this up. Very well regarded book, considered one of the best Chinese science fiction novels ever written.

Won't be present in January, but once I finish reading I'd be down for sharing feedback. Reading a lot of hard sci-fi and having a physics degree makes me hard to impress, so fingers are crossed with this one!

ajfisher

Nov 23, 2016, 8:35:11 PM11/23/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Without a doubt one of my most favourite sci-fi books of the last decade. If you enjoyed it I can honestly say that the second is great as well (on par and some really tense politics) and the third is absolutely mind blowing in it's scale. The 3rd was translated by Ken Liu as well (who translated the first and is *also* a seriously award winning sci-fi writer in his own right!). Given the number of summery weekends between now and the 10th of Jan you can all get the other two in as well ;P