Intel Dev Boards

James Denier

Jul 6, 2014, 12:43:52 AM7/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Looks good. Thought I would pass it along.

I'm not sure whether the terms and conditions are too restrictive for some  but it looks like it'll score you an Intel Galileo Dev kit so I personally can deal with the T&C.

https://www.windowsondevices.com/

Andy Gelme

Jul 6, 2014, 1:23:59 AM7/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
hi James,

As far as I can tell, this is primarily about getting early access to an upcoming Windows SDK that mentions being targeted at the Internet Of Things.  Microsoft is playing catch-up.

On 2014-07-6 14:43 , James Denier wrote:
I'm not sure whether the terms and conditions are too restrictive for some

The only link to "Terms of Use" pointed to a very general Microsoft Legal Resources page.

but it looks like it'll score you an Intel Galileo Dev kit so I personally can deal with the T&C.

https://www.windowsondevices.com

I read that web page very carefully ... and I do not see any offers of a Intel Galileo Dev Kit (free or otherwise).

All that is being offered is ...

1) In the future, early access to a Windows SDK for IoT
2) Your chance to provide marketing information about yourself to Microsoft

All the web-page says is ... " Development hardware like the Intel Galileo board ...", which strongly implies that will be one of the potentially supported hardware devices for running an upcoming version of Windows.  It looks very likely that you will need to provide the hardware.

--
-O-  cheers  =  /\ /\/ /) `/ =
--O                           --  http://www.geekscape.org     --

James Denier

Jul 6, 2014, 2:56:25 AM7/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I signed up out of idle curiosity and received this in response:

" Hello James Denier ,

We want to thank you for your interest on windowsondevices.com, and we are super excited to have you participate in the “Windows Developer Program for IoT”.

We would like to share our SDK and a hardware development kit with you. In order to mail you the kit, please click on the link below to provide your address and a bit more information."

Up until that point it hadn't specifically said hardware so I thought, as did you, that it was likely to be access to an SDK and probably out me in line for lots of advertising material.

The email response changed my thoughts on that. Upon supplying my address I received another email stating:

" James Denier ,

Thank you for signing up for the Windows Developer Program for IoT.  We’ll let you know when your kit has shipped.

Thank you,

Microsoft IoT team"

I get a strong feeling these are individually read and assessed as one of the questions is,"What are you hoping to make with your Dev board?" and provides an open response field with no character limit.

Shall keep the list updated if a board does eventuate. If not, nothing lost!

Andy Gelme

Jul 6, 2014, 3:56:18 AM7/6/14

On 2014-07-6 16:56 , James Denier wrote:
> Up until that point it hadn't specifically said hardware so I thought,
> as did you, that it was likely to be access to an SDK and probably out
> me in line for lots of advertising material.

Ah okay, this additional information makes it clear and will help other
decide.

> Shall keep the list updated if a board does eventuate. If not, nothing
> lost!

Thanks.

Given that the Intel Galileo normally runs Yocto Linux with x86-based
library support for Arduino sketches ... it'll be interesting to see if
/ what version of Windows Microsoft chooses to ship. Or, perhaps
they'll go with supporting development on a regular Windows system and
leave the Galileo quietly running Linux.

Chris Fryer

Jul 6, 2014, 5:33:40 AM7/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Windows on a dev board? I am a little sceptical, Linux is just too far ahead. It could shape up to a repeat of the Mac versus Windows battle that Microsoft and Apple were in throughout the 90s. I don't think it is a fight that Microsoft can win this time. I got a bit frustrated with the Galileo that I've bought, I like my Pi a lot more.

That said, I'm definitely signing up It would be very interesting to see what Microsoft has come up with and maybe end up with another Galileo.

Chris Fryer

Jul 29, 2014, 4:04:34 AM7/29/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Microsoft recently updated that Website and there are lots of details and even sample Arduino code!! Microsoft might be getting serious about IoT.

Unfortunately there is no love yet for people who have already bought an Intel Galileo. I'm not shelling out for windows embedded I can tell you that...

Hurgh

Aug 13, 2014, 9:36:26 PM8/13/14
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Not sure about others that might have signed up for this, but I received an email from MS today telling me my board has shipped!!

I was not expecting anything, but very interested to see what comes in the mail over the next week.

Allan

James Denier

Aug 13, 2014, 10:18:44 PM8/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I haven't received any notifications yet but I'll certainly update people when I do and when the items arrive.

It will be interesting to see if there are any restrictions or undisclosed caveats attached to their use.

tubular

Aug 13, 2014, 11:24:18 PM8/13/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
James while I remember there is some stuff for you in the lost and found pidgeon holes at CCHS.  3 parcels I think, they go back a way now

cheers
Lachlan

James Denier

Aug 14, 2014, 12:10:14 AM8/14/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

There is?! That might be where I've lost a few things to. Thanks for that heads up Lachlan.

I'm going to be in on Monday for 3D Printing assistance so I'll grab them then. Cheers!

Hurgh

Aug 19, 2014, 9:13:11 PM8/19/14
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi All,

I have received my Intel Galileo, so I took some pics of it when opening it.

You can see them here:

The quality is not the best (phone camera), but should give you an idea.

I have not powered it up yet or done anything, but will post more when I have done more.

Happy to take more pictures if people are interested, Just let me know.

Has anyone else received notification of shipping or something?

Allan

Chris Fryer

Aug 24, 2014, 4:29:41 AM8/24/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, did you actually get the Galileo to do something interesting? Microsoft are really late getting into the IoTs, but I would still be seriously interested in what they are doing. Maybe Microsoft should quit Windows and just bring out a Microsoft flavour of Linux...lol

Graham

Aug 24, 2014, 6:24:48 AM8/24/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Could there be some sort of demo night on what could be done with these?

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Aug 2014, at 6:29 pm, Chris Fryer <chris....@gmail.com> wrote:

Awesome, did you actually get the Galileo to do something interesting? Microsoft are really late getting into the IoTs, but I would still be seriously interested in what they are doing. Maybe Microsoft should quit Windows and just bring out a Microsoft flavour of Linux...lol

Chris Fryer

Sep 27, 2014, 10:24:00 PM9/27/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
An update to the Intel dev boards discussion. Microsoft are now allowing people who already have a Galileo to download a version of Windows Embedded (or whatever it's called now) that will work on the Galileo along with software and instructions to get it all going, for free! (although they do make you sign one of those legal documents (terms and conditions) that nobody ever bothers to read).

If it is awesome I will reply back here and tell you all about it.