Thermal Camera recommendations

tubular

May 25, 2017, 9:10:53 PM5/25/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for a decent thermal camera.  I have half a dozen applications that would really benefit from one

Basic requirements
- at least 80x60 pixels
- at least 200 C  (rules out Flir One phone attachment)
- ability to record at least 2 frames/sec
- tripod mountable

While I'll be purchasing it I don't see why it can't live at the space when I don't need it

cheers
Lachlan

Luke Weston

May 28, 2017, 3:48:16 PM5/28/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Have been using FLIR AX8s for work recently, they're nice little units
but only go up to 150C.
All your other requirements are fine on the AX8, including the
standard 1/4" UNC tripod bolt.
Maybe go up to the FLIR A5 series, to get the temperature range you want.

Cheers,
Luke

tubular

May 28, 2017, 8:39:00 PM5/28/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks for responding Luke

I think we're going to grab a Flir C3 with Wifi.   It won't do everything but gotta start somewhere

Part of me has an urge to hook up the lepton sensor to something over SPI, but don't have the time at the moment.

Luke Weston

May 29, 2017, 8:22:56 AM5/29/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
The Lepton is really easy to hook up... the Pure Engineering breakout
board is good for rapid prototype purposes.
https://github.com/groupgets/LeptonModule

It's really easy to get it up and running on a Raspberry Pi with a few
jumper wires in five minutes.
You can presumably use a more lightweight microcontroller but I
haven't tried it yet.