air filter to remove 3d printer fumes

pete...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2014, 1:32:09 AM7/5/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a good idea on air filter to remove 3d printer fumes?
Its toxic for me indoors, and bad for the environment.

James Denier

Jul 5, 2014, 3:08:39 AM7/5/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure how practical it is but I'm aiming to build an enclosure for mine and maybe run the fumes through a water trap.

I'll definitely be doing that for my sand blaster and, hopefully, I can adapt it to fit the exhaust from my printer enclosure.

On 05/07/2014 3:32 PM, <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have a good idea on air filter to remove 3d printer fumes?
Its toxic for me indoors, and bad for the environment.

Peter

Jul 5, 2014, 10:21:13 AM7/5/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Most kitchen style rangehoods can be recirculated back into the room with the addition of a charcoal filter which clip onto the fan to remove odors and such (the mesh filter removes fats etc) they cost between $10 and $30 and are readily available.

I have a couple of spare new range hoods that I could donate if someone thinks they can press one into service as a extractor/filter.

Peter

No virus found in this message.

Tim Sheahan

Jul 5, 2014, 9:45:08 PM7/5/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

I'm just a punter, but even if you want to filter, my first reaction would be, is it possible to exhaust to the outside?

If you can, I think that could be most advisable.

On 05/07/2014 3:32 PM, <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have a good idea on air filter to remove 3d printer fumes?
Its toxic for me indoors, and bad for the environment.

Clifford Heath

Jul 5, 2014, 10:08:05 PM7/5/14
On 6 Jul 2014, at 11:45 am, Tim Sheahan <wook...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just a punter, but even if you want to filter, my first reaction would be, is it possible to exhaust to the outside?
> If you can, I think that could be most advisable.

In my Melbourne garage, that’s what I did, to deal with the very fine particles
from my large thickness sander. Even very good filters don’t catch everything
in the 1-5um range, which is the most dangerous to your lungs - and almost
invisible.

I collect dust using the house’s built-in vacuum, which has an exhaust outside
the garage. Even though there’s no visible difference to the air quality, it saved
me multiple days of coughing every time I ran the sander.

The OP was concerned about the environment. Fair enough; that’s why you
filter first.

What actually are the fumes from a 3D printer (material, particle size range)?

Clifford Heath.

> On 05/07/2014 3:32 PM, <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a good idea on air filter to remove 3d printer fumes?
> Its toxic for me indoors, and bad for the environment.
>

> --
signature.asc

peter zwag

Jul 6, 2014, 8:02:43 PM7/6/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I have build a acyclic box for my 3d printer already, so range hood not needed.
I filter could be placed in the exhaust outlet, else fan / filter in the box itself to re-circulate.
Im not sure what filters people have found to work best. ie carbon hepa etc

Tim Sheahan

Jul 7, 2014, 12:42:17 AM7/7/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
>What actually are the fumes from a 3D printer (material, particle size
range)?

Smells like.. victory

Angus Gratton

Jul 7, 2014, 1:37:32 AM7/7/14
On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 12:07:42PM +1000, Clifford Heath wrote:
> What actually are the fumes from a 3D printer (material, particle size range)?

This study measuring ultrafine (<100nm) emissions from 3d printing
got a fair bit of press last year. Summary:
http://www.elsevier.com/connect/could-particle-emissions-from-desktop-3d-printers-reach-unhealthy-levels

Full text (open access yay!)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231013005086

Exactly what the byproducts are depends on what material is being
printed, of course.

I remember reading about some thermal byproducts of ABS that were
pretty nasty, although I think the temperature of a hot end was lower
than the temperature at which most (all?) of these byproducts were
supposed to appear. I can't find where I was reading that though
(anyone?)

Anecdotally, when I had a 3d printer in our apartment I noticed some
throat irritation that went away when I switched from printing ABS to
PLA. Searching around I found similar stories from other 3d printer
users. I haven't noticed anything similar from the ABS printers
running at the space, with a larger room area and less constant
exposure.

One other thing I wondered about is that as well as the base
ingredient (ABS, PLA, etc.), most printer filament includes colouring
and possibly other impurities from the synthesis process mixed in.
I don't know if any suppliers will give you a detailed breakdown of
composition. For a while I was going to experiment on myself with
different ABS filaments to see if I was sensitive to a particular
colouring or brand rather than just ABS, but I decided this was unwise
(the last thing I'd want is to become hypersensitive to ABS fumes.)

- Angus

Clifford Heath

Jul 7, 2014, 1:44:10 AM7/7/14
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Right, I suspected it was complex. I really think you should understand the
risk and address that, not some imaginary risk. A HEPA filter will nor remove
particles <100nm; but exhausting them outside reduces your risk (by moving
it elsewhere).

I wouldn’t want anyone being exposed to styrene oxide, for example.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene#Health_effects>. And there are
many hundreds of additives used in plastics manufacture.

Clifford Heath.
> --
signature.asc