12mm lead screws for X and Y?

Holger

Aug 29, 2017, 10:22:35 PM8/29/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi

As discussed on Monday evening, I think I need to replace my z-lead screws.

So I bought lead screws off ebay, only noticing too late that I clicked
on the wrong ones. The ones I bought have 12mm lead, which I think is
excessive for the z-axis.

If my math is correct, a 12 mm lead combined with a 200 step per
rotation motor would mean 60um resolution (ignoring microstepping).

But since I already bought them, should I replace the x- and y- axes
with these lead screws? Is there a disadvantage of lead screws over GT2
belts?

Thanks

Holger

Stuart Young

Aug 29, 2017, 10:33:08 PM8/29/17
to CCHS
Speed might be the only disadvantage.

The advantage should be that you should have very little to no overshoot or ringing, even with fairly high acceleration.

Maybe try whichever axis is easier to replace (will depend on printer design) and do some trials?

Holger

Rob B

Aug 30, 2017, 7:27:31 AM8/30/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a link as 12mm seems excessive to my understanding, as our M8 have 1.25mm lead as advancement per rev then some square threads or acme ,I have seen, have 4 - 6 mm lead.
See you on Monday
Regards Rob B

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/connected-community-hackerspace/CAPh9M%2BFKtYDLN2F0R%3DAGZqM2XJXW1USO8hgm-T_DpSYX_NHF7Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Holger

Aug 30, 2017, 9:52:41 AM8/30/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi

I accidentally only send this to Rob, so here's to the group ;)

On 30/08/2017 21:27, Rob B wrote:

> Do you have a link as 12mm seems excessive to my understanding, as our
> M8 have 1.25mm lead as advancement per rev then some square threads or
> acme ,I have seen, have 4 - 6 mm lead.

Sure:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lead-Screw-Rod-300mm-T8-Z-Axis-Linear-Rail-Shaft-12mm-Lead-with-Brass-Nut/201833551014

Cheers,
Holger

Rob B

Aug 30, 2017, 10:11:28 AM8/30/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
can see how you could be mislead, it is a multi start thread (several parallel threads) and it is not mention except for the lead in the description. Will give rapid movement if you have enough power to accelerate against the axis weight/drag

Holger