KiCAD + Printed Circuit Boards 101: Learn to design, manufacture, and solder. 3 Weeks

Robert Powers

May 16, 2018, 6:12:08 AM5/16/18
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that we'll be running a 3 week course at the CCHS on the basics of PCB CAD & hand assembly (soldering, various forms). It's starting in on 29/05 and running for 3 consecutive Tuesday evenings.

We haven't settled on a project just yet, but it will certainly blink at you when you're done.

Lachlan has done a good job of writing up the bullet points of what should be covered and when:
* What's a circuit board? Lets look at examples
* Understanding circuit board layers and their purpose
* How to use the Kicad open-source PCB software
* Design your very own circuit board (Week 1)
* Learn how to solder, solder challenge, and how to customise Kicad (Week 2)
* Solder your own circuit board (Week 3)

There is a fee for the full three-week ordeal ($60/$30) which will be used to cover (no order, no promises):
Quick-turn contract manufacture of a PCB design you did!
Components for the design you did!
Bits
Some other PCB things to mess up soldering on?
Peices
Consumables
Buying organizers dinner
Supporting CCHS
A pony

Hope you can come along, places limited.

Cheers,
Bob

Roman Valls

May 18, 2018, 2:00:40 AM5/18/18
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Great initiative, Bob!

Happy to briefly explain how to CNC mill a PCB if there's time
(10-20min?) and/or interest?:

https://github.com/brainstorm/carvey_board/blob/master/README.md

Cheers,
Roman
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/connected-community-hackerspace/CA%2BKRtji15_y1f1Vqhv7dso5d641GYufprq_EEpMcmt_sOAdNdg%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Powers

May 18, 2018, 4:53:14 AM5/18/18
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Yesser!

I'd like nothing more than for the CCHS mini-mill to see some use. As far as I know, I'm the only one to have ever successfully used it for this purpose; @list - please, please make me wrong on this point. I'm going to have to revisit HOW to do it (was it EAGLE ULP or Inkscape.. or just some CamBam fiddling? All three?), but I think we can fit it in at some point.

-Bob