Show CCHS: My Lightweight Direct Drive 3D Printing Extruder

Brian Gilbert

Jul 25, 2016, 6:53:03 AM7/25/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace

Hi All

Hopefully it's ok to post this here..

A friend and I have been working on this for close to a year now, and the site just launched, we plan to crowdfund to cover the cost of the injection moulds.

The Zesty Nimble Extruder adds less than 35 grams to your hotend, and allows direct drive without needing to add the weight of a stepper motor on your hotend's carriage system.

Cheers
Brian
zesty-nimble-extruder.jpg

Rob Gannon

Jul 25, 2016, 8:20:02 AM7/25/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace

That looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out.  Do you need beta testers?

Brian Gilbert

Jul 25, 2016, 5:44:32 PM7/25/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Some additional features:
  • It's ambidextrous (you can flip it around and mount the top or bottom to your hotend for best orientation)
  • Small enough that 2 fit on top of a Chimera hotend with space to spare between them
  • Mounting solutions already designed for Groove mount (j-head), Flat mount (like Chimera), Reprap plate, Diamond hotend, and more

Thanks Rob, will chase you down if we do.

Rob Gannon

Jul 26, 2016, 4:03:52 AM7/26/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
It looks good. I've toyed with the idea of seperating the motor from the extruder to reduce weight, and it looks like you've come up with a good solution here.

So is that a cable drive  between the motor and the hobbed wheel? Is it a hobbed wheel that drives the filament? How does it go when there is a lot of retraction in the print?
How is its performance so far, have you done much testing, and what sort or print speds have you had it up too?

Brian Gilbert

Aug 8, 2016, 7:15:47 PM8/8/16
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Video of it in action now posted (more will be coming soon)

Cheers
Brian