Kafka Stream Java Example Application stuck

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 6, 2017, 2:10:22 AM4/6/17
to Confluent Platform
Hi all,

I have an issue with regards to Kafka. I have posted the question here.
I have re-run the example and still couldnt see the System.out.println that I have put it in the code.
I have tried the example in the Ubuntu 16.04 but still it didnt work.
Please advise what should I do. Thanks.

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 6, 2017, 2:15:04 AM4/6/17
to Confluent Platform
Just ao add on.

I deploy confluent platform community edition 3.2.0 in Ubuntu 16.04.

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 6, 2017, 2:24:49 AM4/6/17
to Confluent Platform
Hi I just want to clarify that the examples I have re-run is using Eclipse in Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.
Following the link I provided from earlier, I have re-run in Eclipse on Windows.

I have tried to run the examples in Ubuntu server 16.04, the OS i have deployed Confluent platform. It works.
Just somehow I am unable to run the example using both of my WIndows and Ubuntu Desktop.

I would like to ask if there is other thing I might have missed out? Thanks.

Matthias J. Sax

Apr 7, 2017, 1:01:21 PM4/7/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Do you deploy CP3.2 locally for each setup? Or do you have one CP
deployment and just run Kafka Streams app in different environments?

-Matthias
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

signature.asc

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 12, 2017, 10:11:30 PM4/12/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

Sorry for the late reply as I just returned from an holiday.
I have deployed CP 3.2 on a single ubuntu 16.04 setup. So all the packages from CP 3.2 are all in a single Ubuntu 16.04 since I wanted to test out how Kafka works.

My setup consists of the following:
1, 1 x CP 3.2 in Ubuntu Server 16.04
2. 1 x Windows 10 Eclipse Mars Java 1.8 to test out the Kafka Java API, I have also tried using Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 Eclipse to see is it an OS issue. So far it is the same.

Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,
Kim Tee

On 4/5/17 11:24 PM, Lim Kim Tee wrote:
> Hi I just want to clarify that the examples I have re-run is using
> Eclipse in Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.
> Following the link I provided from earlier, I have re-run in Eclipse on
> Windows.
>
> I have tried to run the examples in Ubuntu server 16.04, the OS i have
> deployed Confluent platform. It works.
> Just somehow I am unable to run the example using both of my WIndows and
> Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> I would like to ask if there is other thing I might have missed out? Thanks.

Matthias J. Sax

Apr 13, 2017, 11:44:51 AM4/13/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.

It's hard to tell...

- can you please try out bin/kafka-console-consumer script to see if
you are able to connect to the brokers in the first place
- do you see anything suspicious in the Kafka Streams logs?
- please also check, if the Streams app shows app as a consumer group
- you can use bin/kafka-consumer-groups script (Streams uses it's
application ID as group.id internally)

Hope that this reveals what the problem might be.

-Matthias
> > an email to confluent-platf...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:confluent-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:confluent-platf...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:confluent-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <mailto:confluent...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:confluent...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:confluent...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> To post to this group, send email to
> confluent...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:confluent...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/eb8aa9ba-faa9-2e01-6be6-d53b83ed9df4%40confluent.io
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/eb8aa9ba-faa9-2e01-6be6-d53b83ed9df4%40confluent.io>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/CACN1X6LQemG%3DHmtvqMOV%3D8EGyWL7nw77cU0gpsCFc-mcFdxQvA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/CACN1X6LQemG%3DHmtvqMOV%3D8EGyWL7nw77cU0gpsCFc-mcFdxQvA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
signature.asc

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 16, 2017, 10:49:14 PM4/16/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

I have no problem connecting the broker at the server hosting the confluent platform using the following command:
/usr/bin/kafka-console-consumer --zookeeper localhost:2181           --topic streams-wordcount-output           --from-beginning           --formatter kafka.tools.DefaultMessageFormatter           --property print.key=true           --property key.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringDeserializer           --property value.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.LongDeserializer

however, when I tried to connect remotely to the broker using my Ubuntu Desktop with the following command:
/usr/bin/kafka-console-consumer --zookeeper EXTERNAL_IP:2181           --topic streams-wordcount-output           --from-beginning           --formatter kafka.tools.DefaultMessageFormatter           --property print.key=true           --property key.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringDeserializer           --property value.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.LongDeserializer

i have the following error:
[2017-04-17 10:29:40,858] WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 7 for topics [Set(streams-wordcount-output)] from broker [BrokerEndPoint(0,127.0.0.1,9092)] failed (kafka.client.ClientUtils$)
java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.send(BlockingChannel.scala:110)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.liftedTree1$1(SyncProducer.scala:80)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.kafka$producer$SyncProducer$$doSend(SyncProducer.scala:79)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:124)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:60)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:95)
at kafka.consumer.ConsumerFetcherManager$LeaderFinderThread.doWork(ConsumerFetcherManager.scala:68)
at kafka.utils.ShutdownableThread.run(ShutdownableThread.scala:63)
[2017-04-17 10:29:40,858] WARN [console-consumer-65417_imerino-virtual-machine-1492396179036-d8da2b51-leader-finder-thread], Failed to find leader for Set(streams-wordcount-output-0) (kafka.consumer.ConsumerFetcherManager$LeaderFinderThread)
kafka.common.KafkaException: fetching topic metadata for topics [Set(streams-wordcount-output)] from broker [ArrayBuffer(BrokerEndPoint(0,127.0.0.1,9092))] failed
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:74)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:95)
at kafka.consumer.ConsumerFetcherManager$LeaderFinderThread.doWork(ConsumerFetcherManager.scala:68)
at kafka.utils.ShutdownableThread.run(ShutdownableThread.scala:63)
Caused by: java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.send(BlockingChannel.scala:110)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.liftedTree1$1(SyncProducer.scala:80)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.kafka$producer$SyncProducer$$doSend(SyncProducer.scala:79)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:124)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:60)

I made changes to the following command
/usr/bin/kafka-console-consumer --bootstrap-server EXTERNAL_IP:9020 --topic streams-wordcount-output           --from-beginning           --formatter kafka.tools.DefaultMessageFormatter           --property print.key=true           --property key.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringDeserializer           --property value.deserializer=org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.LongDeserializer

The command do run but it is stuck there.

I just run a /usr/bin/kafka-consumer-groups -zookeeper EXTERNAL_IP:2181 --list

this is the output.

Note: This will only show information about consumers that use ZooKeeper (not those using the Java consumer API).

Consumer-1491459781490-avro
Consumer-1491297810627-json
Consumer-1491459783592-json
Consumer-1491274811868-json
Consumer-1491207198673-avro
Consumer-1491458584571-avro
Consumer-1491200773537-json
Consumer-1490930463703-avro
Consumer-1491459781400-binary
Consumer-1491274842650-avro
Consumer-1491290159483-avro
Consumer-1490943639569-json
Consumer-1491198750272-avro
Consumer-1491297786680-json
Consumer-1490943325907-avro
Consumer-1491201155890-json
Consumer-1490943007087-avro
Consumer-1491206361865-avro
Consumer-1491290159528-json
Consumer-1491273474089-avro
Consumer-1491290673106-json
Consumer-1491200517614-avro
Consumer-1492392272041-binary
Consumer-1491297810619-binary
Consumer-1491206357419-json
Consumer-1491274773029-json
Consumer-1491297807222-avro
Consumer-1491289975010-json
Consumer-1491293853165-binary
Consumer-1491201154118-json
Consumer-1491294098918-binary
Consumer-1491290697345-json
Consumer-1491201244375-json
Consumer-1491206642723-avro
Consumer-1491206365882-avro
Consumer-1491206235381-json
Consumer-1491459783967-binary
Consumer-1490943325937-json
Consumer-1491293844375-json
Consumer-1491297810454-json
Consumer-1491200818783-json
Consumer-1491201085342-json
Consumer-1492390447538-avro
Consumer-1491200512879-json
Consumer-1491188848240-json
Consumer-1491200664219-json
Consumer-1491202063135-json
Consumer-1491297785256-json
Consumer-1491459783903-json
Consumer-1491297810811-binary
Consumer-1491289947339-avro
Consumer-1491206238590-json
Consumer-1491206240661-json
Consumer-1491200592777-json
Consumer-1490943663514-avro
Consumer-1491293831344-json
Consumer-1491201004334-json
Consumer-1491294098794-json
Consumer-1490943008744-avro
Consumer-1490943615825-json
Consumer-1491200711860-json
Consumer-1491297809544-avro
Consumer-1491297798910-avro
Consumer-1491290691810-json
Consumer-1491290695973-avro
Consumer-1491294097308-avro
Consumer-1492390439292-avro
Consumer-1492392271908-json
Consumer-1491293851593-avro
Consumer-1491274840588-json
Consumer-1490943177015-avro
Consumer-1490943639536-avro
Consumer-1491274773001-avro
Consumer-1490943663551-json
Consumer-1490943177043-json
Consumer-1491290659795-avro
Consumer-1491273474116-json
Consumer-1492392270894-avro
Consumer-1491293830023-avro
Consumer-1491297785223-avro
Consumer-1491207200671-avro
Consumer-1491294091414-json
Consumer-1491459780210-avro
Consumer-1491459782701-avro
Consumer-1491293853022-json
Consumer-1491200769460-json
Consumer-1491200682083-json
Consumer-1491200714343-json
Consumer-1491359473743-avro
Consumer-1490861861402-json
Consumer-1491273495777-avro
Consumer-1491297786818-binary
Consumer-1491201303616-json
Consumer-1490943333808-avro
Consumer-1490943615794-avro
Consumer-1491200775365-json
Consumer-1491200996736-json
Consumer-1491290659823-json
Consumer-1491198743588-json
Consumer-1491289947367-json
Consumer-1491459778848-avro
Consumer-1491201000622-json
Consumer-1491294078423-json
Consumer-1490942848375-avro
Consumer-1490930432556-avro
Consumer-1491293830050-json
Consumer-1491201002605-json
Consumer-1491201247012-json
Consumer-1491458581300-json
Consumer-1491289977567-avro
Consumer-1491200771989-json
Consumer-1491273495805-json
console-consumer-69259
Consumer-1491459784058-binary
Consumer-1490943333838-json
Consumer-1490930429433-json
Consumer-1491459780117-json

Since I am running in a console, "console-consumer-69259" seem to be a likely group. I have executed this command
/usr/bin/kafka-consumer-groups -zookeeper 192.168.4.156:2181 --describe --group console-consumer-69259

this is the output
Note: This will only show information about consumers that use ZooKeeper (not those using the Java consumer API).

TOPIC                          PARTITION  CURRENT-OFFSET  LOG-END-OFFSET  LAG        CONSUMER-ID

It seem like there is no output.
I cant find the log for kafka stream.

Please advise if I am doing correctly. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks.

regards,
Kim

>     > an email to confluent-platform+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>     <mailto:confluent-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>     > <mailto:confluent-platform+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>     <mailto:confluent-platform%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>     <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com>
>     > <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com
>     <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com>>.
>     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
>     To post to this group, send email to

>     To view this discussion on the web visit

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 16, 2017, 10:58:30 PM4/16/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

Please take note that my port number for bootstrap-server is 9092. I made an error when i type the command
/usr/bin/kafka-console-consumer --bootstrap-server EXTERNAL_IP:9092

regards,
Kim Tee

>     <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com>
>     > <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com
>     <mailto:confluent-platform@googlegroups.com>>.
>     > To view this discussion on the web visit
>     > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com>
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/f11e76ff-1a4a-4c15-9c13-54b49060e5ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/eb8aa9ba-faa9-2e01-6be6-d53b83ed9df4%40confluent.io
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/confluent-platform/eb8aa9ba-faa9-2e01-6be6-d53b83ed9df4%40confluent.io>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 17, 2017, 10:09:06 PM4/17/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

After some investigation, I realized that I need to include the following setting in the server.properties

host.name=IP_ADDRESS_ASSIGNED_TO_THIS_MACHINE

then i am able to receive it using the /usr/bin/kafka-console-consumer --bootstrap-server EXTERNAL_IP:9092

Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,
Kim Tee

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 17, 2017, 10:44:34 PM4/17/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

After I re-create the Kafka topic for the tutorial, I was able to re-run the java example of WordCountDemos using eclipse with the IP change from localhost to EXTERNAL_IP.

Regards,
Kim Tee

Lim Kim Tee

Apr 17, 2017, 10:59:09 PM4/17/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

After looking through the code, just realize that I need to run a reset everytime i need to run the demo. My case has been solved.
Just that i find it odd that by setting host.name to the IP address assigned to the machine, I am able to run remotely and I am unable to run it on localhost. If I comment host.name, I am able to run it on localhost but not from remote address even though the documentation mentioned that not setting it, Kafka will bind to all interfaces. Reference: https://kafka.apache.org/090/documentation.html#brokerconfigs. Any idea what should I do to make it run on both remote and localhost?

Thanks.

Regards,
Kim Tee

Matthias J. Sax

Apr 17, 2017, 11:22:03 PM4/17/17
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Glad it works (at least somehow)!

I am not sure atm why setting `host.name` changes the behavior. However,
you link is not correct. Using CP 3.2 you need to consider docs for
Kafka 0.10.2

And for 0.10.2 broker setting `host.name` is actually deprecated.

I would also recommend to use the Confluent docs:
http://docs.confluent.io/current/

-Matthias

signature.asc