IMPORTANT - BIG potential changes & the final Monday open house

Mar

Aug 21, 2014, 1:27:03 PM8/21/14
to conco...@googlegroups.com
This coming Monday, August 25th, we'll be hosting our last Monday night open house.

As most of you are aware, Concoctory is having trouble making the bills consistently. We recently reached out to denhac (great hackerspace in north Denver), and as it turns out, they're having some woes of their own.

Instead of struggling separately, we're talking about teaming up and building one big, bad ass hackerspace together. :-D

At 7pm Monday, denhac's board is visiting. We'll be talking through potentially merging our memberships & equipment in to a new, larger, central location. (6th and Kalamath). Proposed date is September 15th.

After the 2 boards meet, (around 8pm) everyone will have a chance to talk, meet the denhac crew, ask questions and plan.

If you can make it down, please do! We want your participation!

For the curious, classes will continue in the current location. More details on that portion soon...

Mar

Aug 25, 2014, 1:10:20 PM8/25/14
to conco...@googlegroups.com

Reminder! See you all tonight!

Thomas Lundy

Aug 25, 2014, 2:21:18 PM8/25/14
to conco...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

BTW, on a similar note--have you thought about relocating?

I ask because I am embroiled in a fight to keep a Walmart out of my neighborhood, 38th Ave and Wadsworth blvd. The opponents of WalMart have been  trying to make the point that Wheat Ridge's mixed use zoning--which applies at the site in question--permits far more than the apartment/condo/retail mix that the (somewhat unimaginative) city government envisions. Mixed-use zoning certainly would permit makerspaces.

This also raises questions about the role of the maker/hacker movement in the context of the future urban development. I would hope that in the future, a local hackerspace/makerspace would be an expected feature of any respectable community.

One interesting feature of Wheat Ridge is that it has the highest average age of any city in Colorado--lots of people who bought their first house here in the 50s/60s and stayed in place. Would retired engineers/technicians be interested in a shared construction space?

What sort of rent model do you conform to? Obviously, more members means that you can afford more rent.

One final point--I will be back on the idea of determining if CEC wants to buy some sort of membership. Doing business with the during the school during the interval from two-weeks-before-summer to first-week-of-school is impossible, but I think that some progress is possible now. Any kids involved would be 16+

Tom

--
http://www.concoctory.com
---