Regarding video support in Concerto

Sue Rakshit

Dec 10, 2015, 7:57:53 AM12/10/15
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

Our organization is planning to use Concerto along with raspberry PI. Mostly, we will be displaying HD videos onto the screens.

Could you please let me know if there is any challenge related to videos or if any particular format video will be supported.
Do we need to install any plugin as well for this?

Regards,
Suman

August

Dec 10, 2015, 12:38:25 PM12/10/15
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com, sumanrak...@gmail.com
Hi Suman,
  The central challenge you may have is just the performance of the Pi in transitioning between and displaying videos. As is mentioned in our Pi thread, it’s just not a very performant machine for web applications, as opposed to just standalone video (which it has been heavily optimized for). The self-hosted option for video in the remote video plugin will put any type of video in a video element for the browser. In general though, browsers only support MP4 (all browsers) or WebM (Chrome, Firefox, and Opera only). But what format is supported will be up to the browser displaying Concerto. Hope that helps.

--
August

Sue Rakshit

Dec 11, 2015, 9:05:36 AM12/11/15
to August, concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com

Hi August,

Thank you for the reply.
I would test nd will let you know if we face any difficulty.
Also, our entire setup would be in intranet once everything is installed nd configured. So will there be any challenges if the server is in intranet?

Also, all the data that the users will be uploading, they will be stored in our local DB right?

August

Dec 11, 2015, 9:23:08 AM12/11/15
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com, sumanrak...@gmail.com
If your intranet doesn't have outgoing Internet access, things like plugin installation, upgrades, Youtube, and other online service integrations won't work. Do note that initial Concerto installation requires Internet access, though.

--
August

Matthew Swanson

Dec 11, 2015, 12:01:51 PM12/11/15
to Concerto Digital Signage, sumanrak...@gmail.com
I've tried doing video on the raspberry pi 2 and they have tons of trouble playing them from youtube and vimeo. Just not enough power. I know you can try dedicating more memory to graphics but I think the result will be minimal.

Scott Kiser

Dec 11, 2015, 12:11:01 PM12/11/15
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
What are you using to play video on the raspberry Pi version two? My testing on Raspbian has been quite promising.

(sent from my mobile phone)

--Scott

Balazs Zsido

Aug 9, 2016, 9:49:03 AM8/9/16
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com, sumanrak...@gmail.com
Hello!

I have a few questions about adding self-hosted videos to concerto. First of all, which formats/codecs are supported? I tried so far with mkv and mp4 and neither of these two formats were working.

The error message I got is:

No video with supported format and MIME type found.

I've been also thinking, that I might didn't define the path well. I'd like to play videos from a Samba shared folder.

server-ip-here:/doku/052\040Meilensteine\040der\040Naturwissenschaft\040und\040Technik\040-\040Georg\040Simon\040Ohm\040und\040der\040elektrische\040Widerstand\040(360p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC).mp4

I've been replacing the spaces with \040 as I read in a tutorial.

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Justin Millett

Mar 8, 2018, 11:01:53 AM3/8/18
to Concerto Digital Signage
Has anyone figured out  the self hosted option?

Justin Millett

Mar 8, 2018, 11:03:05 AM3/8/18
to Concerto Digital Signage

marcel.s...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2020, 4:58:29 PM2/13/20
to Concerto Digital Signage
I would also like to still find a solution. The MP4's displays 100% in the admin are, but as soon as you add them the feed, nothing displays. Tried all the Field types in the templates, thinking the "image" or "Dynamic" field should call the mp4, but no luck.

David T.

Feb 15, 2020, 3:55:43 AM2/15/20
to Concerto Digital Signage
From my experience with the self hosted video contents :
- the url should be valid from the player point of view. I think the easyest is to use http://server/medias/xxx.mp4 with medias located in the public directory of concerto.
- the video encoding must fit to the player unless it won't play. Mp4, h264, Baseline Profile, 540p with the moov atom at the beginning will maximize compatibility with low performance players.

David.