Video Support Patch

Brian M

Aug 20, 2010, 12:38:38 PM8/20/10
to Concerto Digital Signage
Video support has been one of the features lots of people have asked
for and we've done a pretty poor job delivering a solution. I
developed a work-around for Concerto 1 that enables videos to be
uploaded just like any other piece of graphical content.

You can download the package here: http://www.concerto-signage.com/downloads/video_support.tar.gz.
See the included README for full details, but in brief you'll need:
- Commit 718 (http://dev.studentsenate.rpi.edu/repositories/svn-
senate/changesets/718) which is current unreleased. I'm hoping to get
1.9.3 out with this soon.
- ffmpeg & ffmpeg2theora
- Client computers that can handle HTML5 and maybe Flash... I don't
really remember where flash stands.

Thanks,
~Brian M

Andrew Armenia

Aug 20, 2010, 1:34:22 PM8/20/10
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
There's no support for Flash in any Concerto system images we ship, because we'd need a license from Adobe to redistribute it. So you're on your own for installing Flash if the HTML5 video support doesn't work.

-Andrew

Jason Draper

Jan 31, 2011, 2:36:39 PM1/31/11
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
I checked and it doesn't seem that 1.9.3 has the video ability built in.  I attempted to install your patch and even though I can add a video by treating it like a graphic, I don't see that its actually uploading anything.  Am I missing something?

aethiolas

Jan 31, 2011, 4:02:55 PM1/31/11
to Concerto Digital Signage
Actually, I take that back, I am getting the video uploaded and it
does move over the "place holders" however it doesn't seem to be
converting. Is there a log file to check to see whats happening
there?

On Jan 31, 2:36 pm, Jason Draper <aethio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I checked and it doesn't *seem *that 1.9.3 has the video ability built in.

Brian Michalski

Jan 31, 2011, 4:11:00 PM1/31/11
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there is a log file for encoding.  The problem might be on ffmpeg's end of things.  I would try manually running the conversion by typing the commands from the python script into a command line and see what happens.

~Brian M

aethiolas

Feb 1, 2011, 9:17:36 AM2/1/11
to Concerto Digital Signage
I done that and got everything converting from the command line(well I
got it to convert to mp4, no OGG but I'm not too concerned about that,
MP4 will be fine). THe problem is that I can't seem to get it working
when I upload a video. I can see that it thinks there is a video
coming up but I don't know where its going(the temp dir). I assume
this is a PHP/apache setting though I don't know where to look. Any
insight?
> > concerto-digital-s...@googlegroups.com<concerto-digital-sign age%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Brian Michalski

Feb 1, 2011, 11:30:43 AM2/1/11
to concerto-dig...@googlegroups.com
The process looks something like this:
  1. You upload video the video through the graphic tab.
  2. PHP copies a placeholder video into the video folder and names it just like your output file
  3. PHP says "Hey convert_video.py, I've got this video for you, here is where to put it, and this is what content it belongs to"
  4. The user sees the content uploaded with the placeholder video.
  5. Python triggers ffmpeg behind the scenes which converts the input video to the output folder with file name temp_<content_id>.mp4
  6. Python finishes ffmpeg, and moves the video to replace the placeholder content.
If you know ffmpeg works, it might be worth testing if python is doing everything correctly.... also, you'll need to make sure the web server user has write access to the videos directory (which is like /content/videos I believe).  Otherwise, the python script and PHP should be using the same system-wide temp directories as images.

~Brian M