[Computer-go] Are the AlphaGols coming?

"Ingo Althöfer"

Dec 31, 2016, 3:39:41 AM12/31/16
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello in the round,

one thousand years ago, the was a cry of terror:
The Mongols are coming!

Now it seems we have entered a new age:
The AlphaGols are coming!

Not only from Britain, not only from Google, not only from Japan (Zen).
But also from China!

Look here (thx to German Bonobo for making it public in the
German computer Go forum!):
http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13913

"Ingo Althöfer"

Dec 31, 2016, 4:31:56 AM12/31/16
to compu...@computer-go.org

Tobias Pfeiffer

Dec 31, 2016, 7:26:11 AM12/31/16
to compu...@computer-go.org
Wow that is... astonishing. Thanks for the post Ingo!

This reddit is later on linked in the forum and includes speculations
that it's not AlphaGo based on answers in similar positions. I'd
disagree though - no whole game is the same and AlphaGo evolves and
changes so much still through self-play.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/5l3l7e/chinese_ai_crushing_pros_on_fox_server/

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 2, 2017, 3:10:08 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello,

here is a link to the German Computer Go forum:
http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?topic=6381.msg208264#msg208264

The grey box shows the list of 30 games played by
the "Master bot. All these games were won by the bot!

Paweł Morawiecki

Jan 2, 2017, 5:45:28 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hi,

The grey box shows the list of 30 games played by
the "Master bot. All these games were won by the bot!

There have been another 8 games on Foxwq server:

Game 31: black2012 = Li Qincheng
Game 32: 星宿老仙 = Gu Li
Game 33: 星宿老仙 = Gu Li
Game 34: 我想静静了 = Dang Yifei
Game 35: 若水云寒 = Jiang Weijie
Game 36: 印城之霸 = Gu Zihao
Game 37: pyh = Park Yeonghun
Game 38: 天选 = Tuo Jiaxi

Totally, 38-0. It looks like a kind, indirect (yet powerful), message from DeepMind to Chinese Go Association: "Please, let us try a real challenge, like 3-handicap games, it does not really make much sense to play even anymore". I think it would be much more exciting to see handicap games and try to measure the difference between Alphago and the current human knowledge and skills.

Best wishes for New Year,
Paweł

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 2, 2017, 7:05:21 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello Paweł,

> There have been another 8 games on Foxwq server:

> Totally, 38-0. It looks like a kind, indirect (yet powerful), message
> from DeepMind to Chinese Go Association: "Please, let us try a real
> challenge, like 3-handicap games, it does not really make much sense
> to play even anymore".

So, do you want to say that "Master" might be AlphaGo?
From the disucssion I thought that "Master" was a chinese bot.

If Aja is reading: can you enlighten us?

Cheers, Ingo.

Lukas van de Wiel

Jan 2, 2017, 7:47:09 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hi all:

From the thread we already read Aja's enlightenment:

/u/emdio pointed out:
From a previous time in which a bot was suspicious to be AlphaGo:
"I can confirm it's not AlphaGo or a weaker version of AlphaGo. We
haven't decided to play AlphaGo online yet, but when the decision is
made we will use AlphaGo(P) on tygem and AlphaGoBot on KGS.
Aja"

Cheers and happy new year!
Lukas

Paweł Morawiecki

Jan 2, 2017, 8:01:22 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Ingo,

So, do you want to say that "Master" might be AlphaGo?
From the disucssion I thought that "Master" was a chinese bot.

I'd put all my money it's AlphaGo. They were certified by Korean Baduk Association, hence a Korean flag when playing on Tygem. My personal belief is that these games
put talks with Chinese Association in a right perspective. All people from DeepMind always show a great respect towards pro go players, their dedication and achievements.

Demis tweeted: "we've been hard at work improving AG, delighted to announce that more games will be played in early 2017! More details soon".

But it was 2 months ago. I guess it's been just very hard talks that's why they are silent. It's hard (for both sides) and propose and accept quite a handicapped games. Such a powerful show on Tygem/Foxwq, hopefully, makes matters smoother.

Regards,
Paweł

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 2, 2017, 8:29:02 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hi Paweł,

a good collection of arguments and thoughts, thank you.

> I'd put all my money it's AlphaGo...

How much money do you have?
You may answer in private mail, if appropriate.

Ingo.

PS. I have designed a LEGO scene on Frisbee Go:
http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6385.0;attach=5581;image

Yamato

Jan 2, 2017, 9:15:42 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello,

On 2017/01/02 21:47, Lukas van de Wiel wrote:
> From the thread we already read Aja's enlightenment:
>
> /u/emdio pointed out:
> From a previous time in which a bot was suspicious to be AlphaGo:
> "I can confirm it's not AlphaGo or a weaker version of AlphaGo. We
> haven't decided to play AlphaGo online yet, but when the decision is
> made we will use AlphaGo(P) on tygem and AlphaGoBot on KGS.
> Aja"

This comment was about GoBeta last April.

If "Master" (or something) is AlphaGo, he should have a strong reason
not to use the name AlphaGo. So probably Aja cannot answer this, because
he does not lie.

By the way, I found this tweet interesting :)
https://twitter.com/ScienceNews/status/814559161312808965

Yamato

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 2, 2017, 10:51:26 AM1/2/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello Yamato,

> ... This comment was about GoBeta last April.

> If "Master" (or something) is AlphaGo, he should have a strong reason
> not to use the name AlphaGo. So probably Aja cannot answer this, because
> he does not lie.
>
> By the way, I found this tweet interesting :)
> https://twitter.com/ScienceNews/status/814559161312808965

thanks for the explanation and your "interesting"-sniplet.

By the way: A bet on Master's identity is underway.
The idea is that the bet is undecided, if the question is not resolved
until the start of the European Go Congress (July 22 - August 06, 2017)
in Oberhof (Thuringia; near Jena).
The computer go day in the EGC will very likely be Wednesday, August 02.

Ingo.

Janzert

Jan 4, 2017, 10:12:02 AM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 1/2/2017 7:05 AM, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> Hello Paweł,
>
>> There have been another 8 games on Foxwq server:
>> Totally, 38-0. It looks like a kind, indirect (yet powerful), message
>> from DeepMind to Chinese Go Association: "Please, let us try a real
>> challenge, like 3-handicap games, it does not really make much sense
>> to play even anymore".
>
> So, do you want to say that "Master" might be AlphaGo?
> From the disucssion I thought that "Master" was a chinese bot.
>
> If Aja is reading: can you enlighten us?
>
> Cheers, Ingo.

Looks like we have an official answer in the affirmative
https://twitter.com/demishassabis/status/816660463282954240

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 4, 2017, 11:02:43 AM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Tysvm for posting that!

I had predicted it was AlphaGo from the beginning. If there is a competitor emerging, I think we would have seen some sort of publicity around it, if not just to provoke a response with the AlphaGo team.

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 4, 2017, 2:53:15 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello guys,

what shall I say.

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. Januar 2017 um 16:11 Uhr
> Von: Janzert <jan...@janzert.com>

> On 1/2/2017 7:05 AM, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:

> > Hello Paweł, ...

> Looks like we have an official answer in the affirmative
> https://twitter.com/demishassabis/status/816660463282954240

This means that I lost my bet with Paweł.
He will get a nice meal in a nice restaurant from me
(probably during the European Go Congress 2017 in Oberhof).

Ingo.

David Ongaro

Jan 4, 2017, 3:08:36 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
After this unbelievable streak of 60 won games (even though we still have to see how it holds up with longer time control) it’s not completely unthinkable anymore to play top pros with a handicap. Sadly because the Komi is fixed for the value network it seems the next bigger handicap is 2 stones with Komi for white which seems a big jump. Also having 2 stone games is not so interesting since it would reveal less insights for even game opening Theory. So my question is: is it possible to have reverse Komi games by feeding the value network with reverse colors? Or wouldn’t that work because the value network is so fine calibrated that it would throw it off if there is one more white stone than usual? I guess the policy network and MTSC should have no problems with a changed Komi?

Maybe Aja or some other expert for Value networks can answer that?

Thanks

David O.

Richard Lorentz

Jan 4, 2017, 3:41:55 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Having fallen a bit out of the loop can somebody please update me (us?) a little on these 60 games. How strong were the opponents? Are some/most/all actually pros? What was the time control? What is the Foxwq server?

Thank you very much!

-Richard

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 4, 2017, 4:08:44 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hi Richard,

> ... can somebody please update me (us?) a
> little on these 60 games. How strong were
> the opponents?

they were all strong pro players. Ke Jie (humanity's last hope
in the eyes of several go players) also played three of the
games.

Thinking times were small base times plus 3 byoyomi periods of
30 seconds each.

I remember the nice A Capella Song on Alpha Go from
March 2016 (only the first 30 seconds are relevant):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_mfGo183Y

From the text:
>> AlphaGo! AlphaGo! ...
>> Ruler of the board ...
>> We welcome our silicon overlord.

Originally it was "overlords", but at the moment we have only one.

Ingo.

Adrian Petrescu

Jan 4, 2017, 4:13:43 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
I think it was mentioned that Master was playing all of its moves in almost exactly 5-second increments, even trivial forcing move responses, which was one of the things that led people to believe it was an AI. If that's true, AlphaGo was basically playing under a time-handicap.

Thomas Rohde

Jan 4, 2017, 5:37:45 PM1/4/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

On 2017-01-04 at 21:41, Richard Lorentz <richard...@csun.edu> wrote:

> Having fallen a bit out of the loop can somebody please update me (us?) a little on these 60 games. How strong were the opponents? Are some/most/all actually pros? What was the time control? What is the Foxwq server?

Many 9d pros, among them Ke Jie, Park Junghwan, Gu Li … see the SGF archive that Marcel Grünauer compiled: http://rechne.net/dl/the_master_files.zip

60 won games in a row :-o

Greetings, Tom

--
Thomas Rohde
Wiesenkamp 12, 29646 Bispingen, GERMANY

Horace Ho

Jan 4, 2017, 10:08:42 PM1/4/17
to computer-go
The players and the results (in Chinese):

第01局:Magist(P)执白 v. 满汉(P)(棋手真名不详),白中盘胜
第02局:Magist(P)执白 v. 燕归来(P)(棋手真名不详),白中盘胜
第03局:圣人(P)(棋手真名不详)执白 v. Magist(P),黑中盘胜
第04局:Magist(P)执白 v. 卧虎(P)(谢尔豪 ),白中盘胜
第05局:无痕(P)(於之莹)执白 v. Magist(P),黑中盘胜
第06局:翱翔(P)(李翔宇)执白 v. Magist(P),黑中盘胜
第07局:重逢时(P)(棋手真名不详)执白 v. Magist(P),黑中盘胜
第08局:Magist(P)执白 v. 三齐王(P)(韩一洲 ),白中盘胜
第09局:愿我能(P)(孟泰龄)执白 v. Magist(P),黑胜4目半(黑贴6目半)
第10局:Magist(P)执白 v. 愿我能(P)(孟泰龄),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第11局:Master(P)执白 v. 风雨(P)(棋手真名不详),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第12局:Master(P)执白 v. atomy(P)(棋手真名不详),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第13局:Master(P)执白 v. 远山君(P)(棋手真名不详),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第14局:斩立决(P)(严在明)执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第15局:Master(P)执白 v. XIUZHI(P)(朴廷桓),白时间胜(黑贴6目半)
第16局:Master(P)执白 v. 剑术(P)(连笑),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第17局:Master(P)执白 v. 剑术(P)(连笑),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第18局:吻别(P)(疑似柯洁)执白v. Master(P),黑胜5目半(黑贴6目半)
第19局:Master(P)执白 v. 吻别(P)(疑似柯洁),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第20局:XIUZHI(P)(朴廷桓)执白 v. Master(P),黑胜5目半(黑贴6目半)
第21局:Master(P)执白 v. 龙胆(P)(陈耀烨 ),白胜5目半(黑贴6目半)
第22局:Master(P)执白 v. 龙胆(P)(陈耀烨),白胜4目半(黑贴6目半)
第23局:abc2080(P)(金志锡)执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第24局:XIUZHI(P)(朴廷桓)执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第25局:Master(P)执白 v. XIUZHI(P)(朴廷桓),白胜半目(黑贴6目半)
第26局:dauning(P)(李东勋)执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第27局:ddcg(范廷钰 )执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第28局:愿我能(P)(孟泰龄)执白 v. Master(P),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第29局:Master(P)执白 v. 拼搏(P)(芈昱廷),白胜半目(黑贴6目半)
第30局:Master(P)执白 v. 930115(唐韦星),白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第31局:Master 执黑 v. black2012(李钦诚),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第32局:星宿老仙(古力)执黑 v. Master,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第33局:Master执黑 v. 星宿老仙(古力),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第34局:Master执黑 v. 我想静静了(党毅飞),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第35局:若水云寒(江维杰)执黑 v. Master,白胜1目半(黑贴6目半)
第36局:Master执黑 v. 印城之霸(辜梓豪),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第37局:Master执黑 v. pyh(朴永训) ,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第38局:Master执黑 v. 天选(柁嘉熹),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第39局:Master执黑 v. jpgo01(井山裕太),黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第40局:愿我能(孟泰龄)执黑 v. Master ,白胜2目半(黑贴6目半)
第41局:airforce9(金志锡)执黑 v. Master ,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第42局:Master执黑 v. 时间之虫(杨鼎新),共125手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第43局:Master执黑 v. piaojie(姜东润) ,共165手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第44局:spinmove(安成浚)执黑 v. Master ,共260手,白胜2目半(黑贴6目半)
第45局:Master执黑 v. 炼心(时越) ,共167手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第46局:剑过无声(连笑)执黑 v. Master ,共144手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第47局:Master执黑 v. 段誉(檀啸),共191手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第48局:maker(朴廷桓)执黑 v. Master,共270手,白胜1目半(黑贴6目半)
第49局:wonfun(元晟溱)执黑 v. Master ,共222手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第50局:潜伏(柯洁)执黑 v. Master ,共178手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第51局:周俊勳执黑 v. Master ,共118手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第52局:ykpcx(范廷钰)执黑 v. Master,共202手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第53局:Master执黑 v. 孔明(黄云嵩),共133手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第54局:Master执黑 v. 聂卫平,共254手,黑胜7目半(黑贴6目半)
第55局:谜团(陈耀烨;孟泰龄)执黑 v. Master ,共267手,白胜1目半(黑贴6目半)
第56局:Master执黑 v. shadowpow(赵汉乘),共171手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第57局:Master执黑 v. nparadigm(申真谞),共139手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第58局:小香馋猫(常昊)执黑 v. Master,共178手,白中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第59局:Master执黑 v. Eason (周睿羊),共161手,黑中盘胜(黑贴6目半)
第60局:古力执黑 v. Master,共235手,白胜2目半(黑贴6目半)

Robert Jasiek

Jan 5, 2017, 1:36:55 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 04.01.2017 22:08, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
>humanity's last hope

The "last hope" are theoreticians creating arcane positions far outside
the NN of AlphaGo so that its deep reading would be insufficient
compensation! Another chance is long-term, subtle creation and use of aji.

--
robert jasiek

Xavier Combelle

Jan 5, 2017, 2:38:39 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

Le 05/01/2017 à 07:37, Robert Jasiek a écrit :
> On 04.01.2017 22:08, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
>> humanity's last hope
>
> The "last hope" are theoreticians creating arcane positions far
> outside the NN of AlphaGo so that its deep reading would be
> insufficient compensation! Another chance is long-term, subtle
> creation and use of aji.

The problem is that you have to find a way to constraint alphago to
reach the position you have prepared it will be very hard because it has
the choice of half of the moves which leads to the position.

From computer science point of view, theoricaly, the best move on an
arbitrary position being a PSPACE hard problem, any problem at least
easier than PSPACE could translate in a go problem. So there is a huge
amount of difficult problems (understand impossible to solve except on
toy size) which could be setup as target go positions but the real
problems is that you have to reach this position which are very unlikely
to happen in a real game.

An easy way to win against Alphago strength level of bot is to make two
deterministic version of it, make it play one against the other and
replay the moves of the wining side.

--
Xavier

Paweł Morawiecki

Jan 5, 2017, 4:50:55 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

[...]So my question is: is it possible to have reverse Komi games by feeding the value network with reverse colors?

In the paper from Nature (subsection "Features for policy/value network"), authors state:

the stone colour at each intersection was represented as either player or opponent rather than black or white.

Then, I think the AlphaGo algorithm would be fine with a reverse komi. Namely, a human player takes black and has 7.5 komi. The next step is that AlphaGo gives 2 stones of handicap but keeps 7.5 komi (normally you have 0.5).

Aja, can you confirm this?

Also having 2 stone games is not so interesting since it would reveal less insights for even game opening Theory.

I agree with David here, most insights we would get from even games. But we can imagine the following show. Some games are played with a reverse komi, some games would be played with 2 stones (yet, white keeps 7.5 komi) and eventually the main event with normal even games to debunk our myths on the game. Wouldn't be super exciting!?

Best regards,
Paweł

Detlef Schmicker

Jan 5, 2017, 5:37:50 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hi,

what makes you think the opening theory with reverse komi would be the
same as with standard komi?

I would be afraid to invest an enormous amount of time just to learn,
that you have to open differently in reverse komi games :)

Detlef

Am 05.01.2017 um 10:50 schrieb Paweł Morawiecki:

>> [...]So my question is: is it possible to have reverse Komi games
>> by feeding the value network with reverse colors?
>>

> In the paper from Nature (subsection "Features for policy/value
> network"), authors state:
>

> *the stone colour at each intersection was represented as either
> player or opponent rather than black or white. *

> Then, I think the AlphaGo algorithm would be fine with a reverse
> komi. Namely, a human player takes black and has 7.5 komi. The next
> step is that AlphaGo gives 2 stones of handicap but keeps 7.5 komi
> (normally you have 0.5).
>
> Aja, can you confirm this?
>

>> Also having 2 stone games is not so interesting since it would
>> reveal less insights for even game opening Theory.
>>

> I agree with David here, most insights we would get from even
> games. But we can imagine the following show. Some games are played
> with a reverse komi, some games would be played with 2 stones (yet,
> white keeps 7.5 komi) and eventually the main event with normal
> even games to debunk our myths on the game. Wouldn't be super
> exciting!?
>
> Best regards, Paweł

Paweł Morawiecki

Jan 5, 2017, 6:09:31 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

what makes you think the opening theory with reverse komi would be the
same as with standard komi?

The value network only needs to know a given position of the board and a piece of information who plays next, whether it is a green player or a red player. Then it tells you a winning percentage for a green player. Does it make sense?

Best,
Paweł

Thomas Rohde

Jan 5, 2017, 10:09:53 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Thanks, Horace,

On 2017-01-05 at 04:07, Horace Ho <hor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The players and the results (in Chinese):
>

> [..]

passing this on :-)

Greetings, Tom

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 5, 2017, 10:14:03 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
For each arcane position reached, there would now be ample data for AlphaGo to train on that particular pathway. And it would emerge two strategies. The first would be to avoid the state in the first place. And the second would be to optimize play in that particular state. So, the human advantage would be very short lived.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 5, 2017, 10:50:00 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 05.01.2017 16:14, Jim O'Flaherty wrote:
> For each arcane position reached, there would now be ample data for AlphaGo
> to train on that particular pathway.

No. (E.g., which data for four octuple kos?)

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 5, 2017, 11:32:21 AM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
I don't follow. My entire statement (both sentences) is coherent. Whatever the pathway was that the human resorted to in order to reach the arcane position is the _data_ by which the training would start. And then the training can explore all sorts of contexts prior to that state in order to both avoid it and then to optimize it to exploit the state itself.

David Ongaro

Jan 5, 2017, 2:44:21 PM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 2:37 AM, Detlef Schmicker <d...@physik.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> what makes you think the opening theory with reverse komi would be the
> same as with standard komi?
>
> I would be afraid to invest an enormous amount of time just to learn,
> that you have to open differently in reverse komi games :)

Thats why I used the comparative adjective “less”. It might not be ideal, but still much better than changing the fundamental structure of the opening with an extra stone. Furthermore the effect might not as big as you think:

1. The stronger player doesn’t have to play overplays when the handicap is correct. If the handicap is correct and if AlphaGo “knows” that is another question though… Of course the weaker player might play differently (i.e. more safely) but at least that is something he or she can control
2. One could even argue the other way around: we might see more sound (theoretically correct) moves from AlphaGo with reverse Komi. If it's seeing itself ahead already during the opening it might resort to slack but safe moves. Since it’s still winning we can be left wondering if it was actually a good move. But if it does an unusual looking move which it can’t be considered an overplay but it’s still winning in the end with reverse Komi there should be a real insight to gain.

Still, a reverse Komi handicap is rather big, but it might be the next best thing we have without retraining the value network from scratch. Furthermore retraining the value network will probably affect the playing style even more.

Thanks,

David O.

David Ongaro

Jan 5, 2017, 9:36:40 PM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
This discussion reminds me of an incident which happened at the EGC in Tuchola 2004 (maybe someone can find a source for this). I don’t remember all details but it was about like this:

Two amateur players where analyzing a Game and a professional player happened to come by. So they asked him how he would assess the position. After a quick look he said “White is leading by two points”. The two players where wondering: “You can count that quickly?”, but the pro answered “No, I just asked myself if I would like to have black in this position. The answer is no. But with two extra Komi for Black it would feel ok.”

So it seems professionals already acquired some kind of “value network” due to their hard training, but they also can modify its assessments by taking Komi into account. Maybe that's something we also should do, i.e. not only train the value network by taking go positions and results into account but also add the Komi as an input (the output would still be a simple win/lose result). In that way we don’t have to train a different network for each Komi, even though the problem getting enough training data for all Komi values still remains.

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 5, 2017, 11:37:24 PM1/5/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
That was a quite elegant way to present the idea. Ty for sharing.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 6, 2017, 1:48:37 AM1/6/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 06.01.2017 03:36, David Ongaro wrote:
> Two amateur players where analyzing a Game and a professional player happened to come by.
> So they asked him how he would assess the position. After a quick look he said “White is
> leading by two points”. The two players where wondering: “You can
count that quickly?”

Usually, accurate positional judgement (not only territory but all
aspects) takes between a few seconds and 3 minutes, depending on the
position and provided one is familiar with the theory.

--
robert jasiek

Robert Jasiek

Jan 6, 2017, 1:54:36 AM1/6/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 05.01.2017 17:32, Jim O'Flaherty wrote:
> I don't follow.

1) "For each arcane position reached, there would now be ample data for
AlphaGo to train on that particular pathway." is false. See below.

2) "two strategies. The first would be to avoid the state in the first
place." Does AlphaGo have any strategy ever? If it does, does it have
strategies of avoiding certain types of positions?

3) "the second would be to optimize play in that particular state." If
you mean optimise play = maximise winning probability.

But... optimising this is hard when (under positional superko) optimal
play can be ca. 13,500,000 moves long and the tree to that is huge. Even
TPU sampling can be lost then.

Afterwards, there is still only one position from which to train. For NN
learning, one position is not enough and cannot replace analysis by
mathematical proofs ALA the NN does not emulate mathematical proving.

terry mcintyre

Jan 6, 2017, 2:34:23 AM1/6/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
During its training, AlphaGo played many handicap games against a previous version of itself, so the team and the program are acquainted with handicap play. I don't recall reading any discussion of komi experiments.

Google's advantage is that they can dynamically spin up bunches of processors to try all sorts of experiments, including tournaments designed to test various versions, theories, and tweaks. There was some discussion about what to do if one could spin up thousands of processr cores on demand.

There are surely large businesses in China which could do the same. They have similar reasons to pursue deep learning and other creative uses of big data and supercomputing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 6, 2017, 5:37:03 PM1/6/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Okay. So I will play along. How do you think you would coax AlphaGo into a position with superko without AlphaGo having already simulated that pathway as a less probable win space for itself when compared to other playing trees which avoid it? IOW, how do you even get AlphaGo into a the arcane state in the first place, especially since uncertainty of outcome is weighted against wins for itself?

And since I know you cannot definitively answer that, it looks like we'll just have to wait and see what happens. The professional players will be open to all sorts of creative ideas on how to find weaknesses with AlphaGo. And until they get free reign to play as many games as they like against it so they can begin to get a feel for strategies that do expose probable weaknesses (we won't know with certainty as it appears AlphaGo is now generating its own theories where a situation is rated a weakness by a human turns out to be incorrect and AlphaGo ends up leveraging it to its advantage). Perhaps you can persuade one of the 9p-s to explore your idea of pushing the AlphaGo AI in this direction.

IOW, we are now well outside of provable spaces and into probabilistic spaces. At the scales we are discussing, it is improbable we will ever directly experience seeing anything approaching a mathematical proof around a full game of Go between two experts, even if those experts are two competing AIs. We cannot formally prove much simpler models, much less ones with the complexity of a game of Go.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 7, 2017, 12:28:41 AM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 06.01.2017 23:37, Jim O'Flaherty wrote:
> into a position with superko [...] how do you even get AlphaGo into a the arcane

> state in the first place,

I can't in practice.

I have not provided a way to beat AlphaGo from the game start at the
empty board.

All I have shown is that there are positions beyond AlphaGo's
capabilities to refute your claim that AlphaGo would handle all
positions well.

Hui and Lee constructed positions with such aspects: Hui with long-term
aji, Lee with complex reduction aji. Some versions of AlphaGo mishandled
the situations locally or locally + globally.

> The professional players will be
> open to all sorts of creative ideas on how to find weaknesses with AlphaGo.

Or the amateur players or theoreticians.

> Perhaps you can persuade one of the 9p-s to explore your idea
> of pushing the AlphaGo AI in this direction.

Rather I'd need playing time against AlphaGo.

> IOW, we are now well outside of provable spaces

For certain given positions, proofs of difficulty exist. Since Go is a
complete-information game, there can never be a proof that AlphaGo could
never do it. There can only ever be proofs of difficulty.

> mathematical proof around a full game

From the empty board? Of course not (today).

> We cannot formally prove much simpler models,

Formal proofs for certain types of positions (such as with round_up(n/2)
n-tuple kos) exist.

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 7, 2017, 10:33:35 AM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
I love your dedication to the principles of logic. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing how your explorations in this area pan out. They will be valuable to everyone interested in exploring AI weaknesses. I hope you get access to AlphaGo ASAP.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 7, 2017, 11:03:14 AM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 07.01.2017 16:33, Jim O'Flaherty wrote:
> I hope you get access to AlphaGo ASAP.

More realistically, I (we) would need to translate the maths into
algorithmic strategy then executed by a program module representing the
human opponent. Such is necessary because no human can remember
everything to create a legal superko sequence of over 13,500,000 moves
or have the mere stamina to perform it. (Already just counting to 1
million is said to take 3 weeks without sleep...)

Anyway,...

> exploring AI weaknesses

...this is a major objective. E.g., we do not want AI driven cars
working right most of the time but sometimes killing people because the
AI faces situations (such as a local sand storm or a painting on the
street with a fake landscape or fake human being) outside its current
training and reading.

Xavier Combelle

Jan 7, 2017, 4:24:15 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

> ...this is a major objective. E.g., we do not want AI driven cars
> working right most of the time but sometimes killing people because
> the AI faces situations (such as a local sand storm or a painting on
> the street with a fake landscape or fake human being) outside its
> current training and reading.
currently I don't like to be killed by a drunk driver, and to my opinion
it is very more likely to happen than an AI killing me because a mistake
in programming (I know, it is not the point of view of most of people
which want a perfect AI with zero dead and not an AI which would reduce
the death on road by a factor 100)

David Doshay

Jan 7, 2017, 4:28:16 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Yes, standards are high for AI systems … but we digress

Cheers,
David G Doshay

ddo...@mac.com

Nick Wedd

Jan 7, 2017, 4:34:32 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
The first time someone's killed by an AI-controlled vehicle, you can be sure it'll be world news. That's how journalism works.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd      map...@gmail.com

Gonçalo Mendes Ferreira

Jan 7, 2017, 4:35:34 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
Well, I don't know what is the likelihood of being hit by drunk drivers
or AI driven cars, but if it were the same I'd prefer to have drunk
drivers. Drunk drivers you can understand: you can improve your chances
by making yourself more visible, do not jump from beyond obstacles, be
more careful when crossing or not crossing before they actually stop. A
failure in an AI car seems much more unpredictable.

Gonçalo

Xavier Combelle

Jan 7, 2017, 4:55:59 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

Xavier Combelle

Jan 7, 2017, 5:02:13 PM1/7/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
All the point, is that there is very little chance that you are more likely
to dead by an AI driven than a human driven as the expectation set to
AI driven is at least one order of magnitude higher than human one
before there is any hope that AI would be authorized (Actually the real
expectation is AI would be responsible of zero death)

Álvaro Begué

Jan 7, 2017, 8:34:19 PM1/7/17
to computer-go
If you are killed by an AI-driven car, the manufacturer will use the case to improve the algorithm and make sure that this type of death never happens again. Unfortunately a death by a drunk driver doesn't seem to teach anyone anything and will keep happening as long as people need to drive and alcoholism exists.

David Ongaro

Jan 9, 2017, 1:19:15 AM1/9/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On Jan 5, 2017, at 10:49 PM, Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de> wrote:

On 06.01.2017 03:36, David Ongaro wrote:
Two amateur players where analyzing a Game and a professional player happened to come by.
So they asked him how he would assess the position. After a quick look he said “White is
> leading by two points”. The two players where wondering: “You can count that quickly?”

Usually, accurate positional judgement (not only territory but all aspects) takes between a few seconds and 3 minutes, depending on the position and provided one is familiar with the theory.

Believe it or not, you also rely on “feelings” otherwise you wouldn’t be able to survive.

Some see DNNs as some kind of “cache” which has knowledge of the world in compressed form. Because it's compressed it can’t always reproduce learned facts with absolute accuracy but on the other hand it has the much more desired feature to even yield reasonable results for states it never saw before.

Mathematically (the approach you seem yourself constrain into) there doesn’t seem to be a good reason why this should work. But if you take the physical structure of the world into account things change. In fact there is a recent pretty interesting paper (not only for you, but surely also for other readers in this list) about this topic: https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.08225.

I interpret the paper like this: the number of states we have to be prepared for with our neural networks (either electronic or biological) may be huge, but compared to all mathematically possible states it's almost nothing. That is due to the fact that our observable universe is an emergent result of relatively simple physical laws. That is also the reason why deep networks (i.e. with many layers) work so well, even though mathematically a one layer network is enough. If the emergent behaviours of our universe can be understand in layers of abstractions, we can scale our network linearly by the number of layers matching the number of abstractions. That’s a huge win over the exponential growth required when we need a mathematical correct solution for all possible states.

The “physical laws” for Go are also relatively simple and the complexity of Go is an emergent result of these. That is also the reason why the DNNs are trained with real Go positions not just with random positions, which make up the majority of all possible Go positions. Does that mean the DNNs won’t perform well when evaluating random positions, or even just the "arcane positions” you discussed with Jim? Absolutely! But it doesn’t have to. That’s not its flaw but its genius.

David O.

Jim O'Flaherty

Jan 9, 2017, 7:39:22 AM1/9/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
David, that's a fantastic and succinct summarization. Tysvm!

Robert Jasiek

Jan 9, 2017, 9:50:10 AM1/9/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 09.01.2017 07:19, David Ongaro wrote:
>> accurate positional judgement

> you also rely on “feelings” otherwise you wouldn’t be able to survive.

In my go decision-making, feelings / subconscious thinking (other than
usage of prior sample knowledge, such as status knowledge for particular
shapes) have an only marginal impact. For me, they serve as a
preselection filter besides my used methodical preselection filters. In
blitz, the impact is larger when time is insufficient for always using
the methodical ones.

Another factor is my pruning of reading. I would not describe it as
"feelings / subconscious thinking" but as "prune according to knowledge
/ principles AFA time allows, otherwise call my mental random generator
for deciding what else to prune". I.e., it is a conscious calling of
random for particular purposes.

Instead of suspecting feelings, read my books
- Positional Judgement 1 - Territory
- Positional Judgement 2 - Dynamics
to better understand why my accurate positional judgement does not need
feelings / subconscious thinking. Even in ca. 1/3 of my blitz (10' SD)
games, I can apply it (less frequently per game, OC).

About the only relevant feeling permitted in my go is a contribution to
the decision on my first move as Black, which may also depend on my mood
(besides opponent, komi, time, knowledge).

18+ years ago, I used feelings and the like for quite a few decisions
during the middle game and (early) endgame. Decision by feelings led to
low winning probability so I decided to overcome them by creating much
more profound theory, which improved my play and enabled(!) me to
survive (to use your words) as a go teacher and go book author.

> Mathematically (the approach you seem yourself constrain into)

Reasoned decision-making need not always be low-level / mathematical.

David Ongaro

Jan 9, 2017, 5:04:00 PM1/9/17
to compu...@computer-go.org

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 6:51 AM, Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de> wrote:
>
> On 09.01.2017 07:19, David Ongaro wrote:
> >> accurate positional judgement
>> you also rely on “feelings” otherwise you wouldn’t be able to survive.
>
> In my go decision-making, feelings / subconscious thinking (other than usage of prior sample knowledge, such as status knowledge for particular shapes) have an only marginal impact. For me, they serve as a preselection filter besides my used methodical preselection filters. In blitz, the impact is larger when time is insufficient for always using the methodical ones.

It is understandable that you believe that. That seems to be one of these strong illusions wich are helping survival. But tests have shown that decisions are normally made subconsciously seconds before we get aware of them (and therefore seconds before we consciously rationalize them). Among others John-Dylan Haynes did a lot of interesting related experiments for that. E.g see a short summary for two of them at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT43MogXAjI&feature=youtu.be&t=8m3s. Don’t be distracted by the fact that these where relatively simple experiments, with not much reasoning for making a choice involved. E.g. split brain experiments have shown that people can rationalize their action with one half of their brain while the other half actually did the decision and action for a different reason. The scary part is that they are convinced that the rationalization was actually the reason for their action. (If needed I can look up references for this, but I guess you already heard about these experiments.)

I’m sure if you could make such a test while playing a Go game you would be surprised about the results.

David O.

PS: It should be said that “feeling” was an inaccurate word here, but I gather from your answer that you understood what I meant: i.e. the unconscious decision process. In fact, when we get aware of a “feeling”, when defined in the stricter sense as a product by the "limbic system”, the decision may already have been made.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 9, 2017, 5:27:51 PM1/9/17
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 09.01.2017 23:03, David Ongaro wrote:
> decisions are normally made subconsciously seconds before we get
> aware of them

Essentially nothing is known how to interpret such neurological
findings. It is (usually) not like the universe was forcing me
unexpected subconscious thinking into my conscious mind. My
topic-dependent thinking occurs because I want to be busy thinking about
the topic for a long time (such as successive minutes or hours - not
seconds as in the tests - during a go game). In such a thinking context,
both subconscious and conscious thinking related to the topic occur with
countless interactions in both directions (and even occasional level
changes of subconscious pieces accessible as conscious, but this is not
so interesting, it is like reading in assembler;) ) Now, if some test
claims to observe that subconscious thinking preceded conscious
thinking, this is like making assumptions of excluding parts of
conscious thinking. As if you wanted to deceive Heisenberg's uncertainty
relation. Maybe it does play a relevant role in brains. Observation
affects perception.

--
robert jasiek