Fwd: [Dataswap] Fwd: [Bigdata-mit] Invitation to White House-MIT co-hosted Workshop on Big Data Privacy

Brian Keegan

Feb 24, 2014, 3:40:25 PM2/24/14

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Bruce <ebr...@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Subject: [Bigdata-mit] Invitation to White House-MIT co-hosted Workshop on Big Data Privacy
To: Elizabeth Bruce <ebr...@csail.mit.edu>

Dear Big Data Colleagues,

We are happy to announce that we will be co-hosting an event with the White House next week on Big Data and Privacy.

The event is open to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis but we are asking people to register.

Event Site: http://web.mit.edu/bigdata-priv/

Elizabeth

=================

We invite you to join us on March 3, 2014, for a public workshop on “Big Data Privacy: Advancing the State of the Art in Technology and Practice” co-hosted by MIT and the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy (OSTP).

The Workshop, co-organized by the MIT Big Data Initiative at CSAIL and the MIT Information Policy Project, will convene key stakeholders and thought leaders from across academia, government, industry, and civil society for a thoughtful dialog on the future role of technology in protecting and managing privacy.   White House blog post today: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/24/privacy-workshop-explore-big-data-opportunities-challenges

This event will take place at MIT in the Wong Auditorium E51-115, Cambridge, MA.  Event website including agenda and registration: http://web.mit.edu/bigdata-priv/. Registration deadline is Thursday, Feb 27, 2014.

Recognizing the power of big data to transform our society, MIT is committed to advancing the state of the art in big data science, computational platforms, and analytics, but also to understanding and addressing the privacy risks associated with these new technologies.  This workshop is one in a series of events being held across the country in response to President Obama’s call for a review of privacy issues in the context of increased digital information and the computing power to process it [http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/01/23/big-data-and-future-privacy

MIT’s March 3 workshop will concentrate on core technical challenges associated with big data applications and aims to provide a theoretical grounding for privacy considerations in large-scale information systems. We will explore the state of the art in privacy protecting technologies and how they can be applied to a diversity of big data applications.  The MIT workshop is the first of three public events the White House will co-host on the topic in the next several weeks (the others, to be hosted at the School of Information, UC Berkeley and the Data & Society Research Institute with NYU), will focus on legal, policy and ethical issues.

Beginning with a welcome from MIT President Rafael Reif and a keynote address by White House Counselor John Podesta, the morning session will be framed by a presentation from differential privacy inventor Cynthia Dwork, Microsoft Research, followed by two panel discussions covering big data applications and current research on privacy enhancing technologies, such as fully homomorphic encryption, secure multiparty computation, and accountable systems.  Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker will present the Obama Administration’s views on the relationship between privacy and innovation.  The day will conclude with a roundtable discussion of experts from industry, civil society, government, and academia.

Our primary goal for the workshop is to begin to lay a solid scientific foundation for the many parts of our society that are now wrestling with big data privacy challenges.  We hope you will join us at MIT for this important dialog.

Best Regards,

Elizabeth Bruce
Danny Weitzner
Sam Madden

--

Elizabeth J. Bruce
Executive Director, Big Data Initiative at CSAIL