Back to the good old days.

jo...@wexfordpress.com

Dec 3, 2014, 3:03:59 PM12/3/14
When KDE4 first appeared it was in my view terrible. Kmail didn't work because it was hooked onto something else and that program didn't work. So I installed Claws Mail and rebuilt all my directories and filters. KPDF disappeared and was replaced with the IMO quirky Okular. If someone would recompile KPDF for 64 bit Slackware I would be most grateful.

The base KF4 GUI was hideous, slower than even MSWindows to load plus it used the distracting and irrelevant plasmas. It took a little fiddling to restore useable application menus, and more fiddling to move them from the bottom to the top. I used Trinity for a while but it was not upgraded to a 64 bit version.

I was a fan, like many others, of the excellent web page creation program Quanta Plus. It was a user friendly program that did one thing well. But when it reappeared in KDE4 it was unrecognizable. A totally new product was given the same name, a multi-language IDE that required fiddling and fussing to set it up for html work. I have reverted to using gvim for web development.

As I commented in a recent post, the workhorse program kpdf was replaced with the quirky IMO Okular. During the same time period Adobe dropped maintenance of the Linux version of Acroread, and installing the older version was a bridge too far in my experience.

So here is my wish list:
1. A version of the real Quanta Plus updated for 64 bit systems and with additional features in recognition of the advances of the html state of the art, such as CSS, div etc. but with the interface and operation like the old one.
2. A 64 bit version of KPDF, no change needed.
3. A version of KDE4 GUI, call it the simple version, that is as usable and as fast as KDE 3.5, and looks like it.
4. A version of Kmail that works like the old one (and of course that works) that has an import feature for directories, for users, and for filters, all from Claws Mail.

Newer is not better. If I wanted hard to use and slow to operate apps I would cross over to my MSWindows partition.

Just thought you might want to know.

Wexfordpress

Ant

Dec 3, 2014, 3:29:45 PM12/3/14
Ditto for many things. People call me old school! Who here still uses
KDE v3 design like Trinity (wished Debian stable had an official
package for it)? :(
--
Quote of the Week: "When many work together for a goal, great things may
be accomplished. It is said a lion cub was killed by a single colony of

bad sector

Dec 10, 2014, 10:08:19 AM12/10/14
totally seconded

MY last fav was a thingie called Quick-Access-Widget which replaced
something that had done an even better job FOR YEARS (forget it's name)
that gave me cascading executable menu access into my own local srcipt
tree. Now it looks like even this latter QAW is dead or orphaned.

I dumped Kmail a long time ago for Sylpheed (check it out). Gives real
EML files and is absolutely **KISS** based :-)