Plasma 5 only opens a root

pinnerite

Nov 23, 2016, 12:37:10 PM11/23/16
I have system hosting Mageia 6. It would come up at first to a text window
reading 'Sorry, but there has been a problem..' However after a delay it
would proceed to opening up the desktop.

After relocating the machine to beneath a widesacreen TV that became the
monitor, it just hangs during boot up.

Booting into runlevel 1, I can run startx and up it will come but as root.

I cannot identify what is holding it back from starting as a user.

I wondered if this has been encountered by anyone else, or at least get a
clue to something I haven't yet tried.

Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5

J.O. Aho

Nov 23, 2016, 4:28:30 PM11/23/16
On 11/23/2016 05:39 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I have system hosting Mageia 6. It would come up at first to a text window
> reading 'Sorry, but there has been a problem..' However after a delay it
> would proceed to opening up the desktop.
>
> After relocating the machine to beneath a widesacreen TV that became the
> monitor, it just hangs during boot up.
>
> Booting into runlevel 1, I can run startx and up it will come but as root.
>
> I cannot identify what is holding it back from starting as a user.

Log files may give you some hints, take a look at
/var/log/Xorg.0.log (last session) or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (the one
before last session), there can also be something in /var/log/kdm.log

Those logs usually have information if something goes wrong before you
see the KDE "login progress bar".

If you get past that stage, you should be able to find a lot of
information in ~/.xsession-error (a lot of it can be quite useless too).

You can test and rename the ~/.kde4 to something else and then login, as
there may be files owned by root, corrupt files, bad configuration. If
it don't make any difference, then you need to check the
~/.xsession-error really carefully.

--

//Aho

pinnerite