Cannot open kernel/unix problem??

Corbeau

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Hi

See the following log from booting a Sun 420R:

ok boot disk
Resetting ...

screen not found.
Can't open input device.
Keyboard not present. Using ttya for input and output.

Sun Enterprise 420R (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.23, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial #13740433.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:d1:a9:91, Host ID: 80d1a991.

Rebooting with command: boot disk
Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@0,0 File and args:
boot: cannot open kernel/unix
Enter filename [kernel/unix]: /kernel/unix
boot: cannot open /kernel/unix
Enter filename [kernel/unix]:
Enter default directory for modules [/platform/sun4u/kernel /kernel
/usr/kernel]:
SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-19 [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1997, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
<.. boot sequence goes on ..>

First de boot file cannot be found, then I typed "/kernel/unix" (mind the
first /), then it cannot be found either, then enter en de boot sequence
starts.

The devalias of disk is correct.

Does anyone know this problem and what to do about it?

Thanks a lot!

Leo

fish...@my-deja.com

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
In article <8ftssg$762$1...@buty.wanadoo.nl>,

Leo,

This won't be much help but... The guy installing our new 420s had the
same problem. I don't remember exactly how he fixed it and unfortunetly
he is out of the office til next week. However he did fix it which means
you are not alone and there is a solution. Seems to me he had to
install the complete OS plus OEM. There are a couple of references to
this problem out on Sunsolve.

--
John

Actual Sun Bug:
4110503 as_setprot heuristic gave my process a wedgie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mark Johnson

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Corbeau <in...@nospam.corbeau.nl> wrote:
>Hi
>
>See the following log from booting a Sun 420R:
>
>ok boot disk
>Resetting ...

[deleted...]

>First de boot file cannot be found, then I typed "/kernel/unix" (mind the
>Thanks a lot!

You need to boot from the operating environment CD that came with the
420R.

You'll also need to install Entire Distribution + OEM.

--
Mark Johnson
mjoh...@enteract.com

hume.sp...@bofh.halifax.ns.ca

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
In comp.unix.solaris Corbeau <in...@nospam.corbeau.nl> wrote:
> Does anyone know this problem and what to do about it?

Use "eeprom" to check to see if you have "boot-file" set, since you seem
to be running Solaris I believe you should be booting from "/kernel/genunix".
Or, best, not have boot-file set at all.

Den:/home/hume>eeprom | grep boot
auto-boot?=true
watchdog-reboot?=false
boot-file: data not available.
boot-device=disk net

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
-> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00

hume.sp...@bofh.halifax.ns.ca writes:

>In comp.unix.solaris Corbeau <in...@nospam.corbeau.nl> wrote:
>> Does anyone know this problem and what to do about it?

>Use "eeprom" to check to see if you have "boot-file" set, since you seem
>to be running Solaris I believe you should be booting from "/kernel/genunix".
>Or, best, not have boot-file set at all.

No, you shouldn't boot from "/kernel/genunix".

teh defautl bot-file should be empty, in which case the
boot loaders defaults to searching "kernel/sparcv9/unix" or
"kernel/unix" in the boot path.

If you specify "kernel/unix" you'll always boot a 32 bti kernel.
If you specify "/kernel/genunix" or "/kernel/unix" your system
will not boot at all.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

hume.sp...@bofh.halifax.ns.ca

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
In comp.unix.solaris Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer <Caspe...@holland.sun.com> wrote:
> If you specify "/kernel/genunix" or "/kernel/unix" your system
> will not boot at all.

Wacky. So much for THAT guess o' mine.