colormap problems

Stefano Cailotto

May 2, 2002, 12:03:29 PM5/2/02
I've installed Solaris 8 on a SunFire280R.
When starting some GUI programs (such as Admintool, ddd or solstice, or
whatever) I get errors like:

bash-2.03# nedit
Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#b3b3b3"
Cannot parse default background color specification.
Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#e5e5e5"
Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#777777"

or
bash-2.03# ddd
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "grey"
Warning: Cannot parse default background color specification.

It happens only with some programs (4 example, netscape works good).
What is it due to and how can I fix it?
Thanx, Stefano

ger...@gtconnect.net

May 2, 2002, 12:41:33 PM5/2/02
In article <fea221216375f39126e...@mygate.mailgate.org>,

Set your color depth to 24 bits?? Im betting its 8 right now.

Dan Espen

May 2, 2002, 3:28:04 PM5/2/02
"Stefano Cailotto" <kai...@inwind.it> writes:

R> I've installed Solaris 8 on a SunFire280R.

> When starting some GUI programs (such as Admintool, ddd or solstice, or
> whatever) I get errors like:
>
> bash-2.03# nedit
> Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#b3b3b3"
> Cannot parse default background color specification.
> Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#e5e5e5"
> Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#777777"
>
> or
> bash-2.03# ddd
> Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "grey"
> Warning: Cannot parse default background color specification.
>
> It happens only with some programs (4 example, netscape works good).
> What is it due to and how can I fix it?

Thats sort of funny, (the Netscape works good part).
It's netscape that has used up all your colors.

If you can run in 24bit mode, do so.
If you're stuck using 8bit mode, start Netscape
like this:

netscape -install

Stefano Cailotto

May 2, 2002, 6:13:44 PM5/2/02
"Dan Espen" <da...@mk.telcordia.com> wrote in message

> > It happens only with some programs (4 example, netscape works good).
> > What is it due to and how can I fix it?
>
> Thats sort of funny, (the Netscape works good part).
> It's netscape that has used up all your colors.
>
> If you can run in 24bit mode, do so.
> If you're stuck using 8bit mode, start Netscape
> like this:
>
> netscape -install

ok, but how can I set a true color mode?
from a command line or graphical tool (under CDE)
thanx