Machine name themes - what do you use?

Alan Gauton

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Stuart Summerville wrote:

> Hi peoples,
>
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

PCs are named by the users. Solaris machines are named by the lecturers
purchasing the machines or the current system admin - the 4 bought last
year are named after mathematicians, the 2 so far this year are name
after characters from the Magic Roundabout.

--
AG

Remove removes to remove anti-spam measures.

Alan Gauton + Tel +44 141-548-2686
EEE Department, SPD, + Fax +44 141-552-2487
The University of Strathclyde + E-Mail a...@spd.eee.strath.ac.uk
204 George St., Glasgow G1 1XW+ http://www.spd.eee.strath.ac.uk/users/ag

Stuart Summerville

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Hi peoples,

Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Stu.

Stuart Summerville
Home: st...@netspace.net.au
Work: stuart.su...@icpdd.neca.nec.com.au

Robert Barnette

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Name themes...

You could go with some of these...

The Simpsons Characters.
The Little Rascals Characters.
The Crayola Colors (Burnt Umber???).
Biblical Heroes.
Mythological Characters.
The Planets.
Past Presidents.
Written Numbers (One, Two, Three) - Could correspond to IP's on small LAN.
Tropical Fishes.
Rocky and Bullwinkle Characters.
Rocks (granite, sandstone, etc.).
The Frat Bros. from Animal House.
The Elements.

Later,
Robert

Stuart Summerville <st...@netspace.net.au> wrote in article
<36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...

Adam Thompson

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Personally, I use the names of charachters from Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

Ian Payne

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

We used to use the Aurthurian legends, Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Merlin,
etc.. When we started running out of names we started using the American
"Camelot", i.e. the Kennedy Administration, Kennedy, Jackie, Marilyn, Warren
and Ruby.

Now of course we're good little corporate zombies and use the proscribed
naming conventions for everything. And it's so easy to remember a printer
name like 84-20.1-42.

Michael D. Ober

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
I used to have a boss who never figured out why we named the machines in the
first place.

Mike Ober.

Andrew

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In comp.unix.solaris Ian Payne <ian.a...@boeing.com> wrote:
> Now of course we're good little corporate zombies and use the proscribed
> naming conventions for everything. And it's so easy to remember a printer
> name like 84-20.1-42.

Well, it's not like you called your planes Rocketing Gosling or anything.
I sure can't remember the difference between a 727 and a 737. :-)

We name our machines after Nadsat words from Clockwork Orange (vellocet,
drencrom, synthemesc, mozg, moloko, etc.). One of our machines is quite
aptly named gromky (which means "loud") because it has a noisy hard drive.
=)

--
Andrew O. Smith - <a...@insync.net>
Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services

Jay D Ribak

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Well, this is a bit off-topic for the unix www servers group, but I use
names
of Star Trek ships or ship classes...for example: enterprise, excelsior,
valiant, intrepid, reliant, miranda, defiant, voyager, ds9, stargazer,
endeavor, etc.

Stuart Summerville wrote in message
<36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...
>Hi peoples,

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Christopher K Davis

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
[followups narrowed heavily to c.p.tcp-ip.domains only]
Stuart Summerville <st...@netspace.net.au> writes:

> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Possibly the most important feature of a naming theme is that it be
highly extensible. Even a fairly "large" fixed set like the 100+
elements of the periodic table is likely to run out eventually (most
sites can buy computers faster than physicists can name new transuranic
elements) and using the Seven Dwarves is just *asking* for your boss to
tell you to buy machine #8 (which might be a feature ;-).

Some themes I've seen used:
- Stars. Don't use planets; you'll run out really fast. Even if you
include moons. There are LOTS of named stars.

- Planets, as long as you use *fictional* ones. First, the collective
output of all those SF writers has a many year head start; second,
there are new ones being invented regularly. Fictional stars work
too. Fictional places in general, actually, work quite well. (With
only a few machines, you might even get away with using only one
author's books, at least for a while.)

- Fictional characters. Again, for small groups you can use one author
or one series; for larger ones, you'll have to branch out. This
leaves some room to match character personality with machine
"personality", though. Fictional AIs/robots is a common theme.

- Fictional (or legendary) ships (either waterborne or space; the latter
may overlap with fictional AIs). Again, though real ships are an
option (and often provided the names for fictional ships anyway) your
computing budget is probably going to be spent on more units than the
USN's shipbuilding budget is....

(For those who haven't seen it yet, RFC 1178/FYI 5 covers the naming
topic fairly well, but *doesn't* have much suggestion for what themes to
use--just that they're a Really Good Idea.)

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd...@ckdhr.com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>

Brent Borg

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
I name the machines in our department after retirees...

Brent

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart
Summerville) wrote:

>Hi peoples,

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Richard J. Sexton

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <7ac4q5$hu5$1...@remarQ.com>,

Jay D Ribak <jri...@1tac.com.NOSPAM> wrote:
>Well, this is a bit off-topic for the unix www servers group, but I use
>names
>of Star Trek ships or ship classes...for example: enterprise, excelsior,
>valiant, intrepid, reliant, miranda, defiant, voyager, ds9, stargazer,
>endeavor, etc.

Do you have one called "get-a-life" ?

--
Richard Sexton ric...@mbz.org Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada
70, 72 280SE; 83 300SD http://www.mbz.org

Kyler Jones

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

Tolkien names: gandalf, frodo, etc.. Networks are named after
Tolkien forests: Fangorn, Mirkwood, Lorien, etc..

Kyler Jones.

Brad Benson

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

]
] Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
] local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
] fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
] about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Star Trek: our primary server is named picard, our RS/6000 is spock,
etc.

Cheers,

Brad
replace "spamtrap" with "benson" in my reply address

Erik P. Power

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
We use well-known sugary breakfast cereals for one of our NT "domains"
(pardon my MS-ism), and obscure Norsk mythology figures for the other.

Stuart Summerville wrote in message
<36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...

>Hi peoples,
>
>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Ron Klatchko

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Stuart Summerville wrote:
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

At the CKM I finally managed to get a group of computers named after Dr
Seuss characters (samiam, catinthehat, grinch, lorax, yertle, sneetch,
mayzie, etc.)

moo
r...@library.ucsf.edu

Michael Paci

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <7acadp$1hn$1...@ns1.vrx.net>, ric...@ns1.vrx.net (Richard J.
Sexton) wrote:

>Do you have one called "get-a-life" ?

It wouldn't be a good choice. They're weren't that many named characters
in that show. ;) (You know, the short-lived FOX show with Chris Elliot and
his father of Bob & Ray fame that had that REM song "Stand" as its theme
song?)

--Mike

logan...@yahoo.com

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

st...@netspace.net.au wrote:
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Pick something everyone can relate to: food. There are numerous
subcategories that can be used for different classes of machine
and/or different teams within the organization. Plus, just about
everyone can think of a food they like.

For instance, servers are things you need to get things going, so
name them after breakfast foods: wheaties, hashbrowns, omelette,
poptart, supersugarcrisp, etc. X-terminals can be named after snack
foods. Various teams can choose their own subcategory (Mexican food,
Italian food, etc.). I'm not sure what to name network printers,
but I'm sure there's got to be some sort of tie-in.

- Logan

Kurt J. Lanza

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> In article <7ac4q5$hu5$1...@remarQ.com>,
> Jay D Ribak <jri...@1tac.com.NOSPAM> wrote:
> >Well, this is a bit off-topic for the unix www servers group, but I use
> >names
> >of Star Trek ships or ship classes...for example: enterprise, excelsior,
> >valiant, intrepid, reliant, miranda, defiant, voyager, ds9, stargazer,
> >endeavor, etc.
>
> Do you have one called "get-a-life" ?

What other varieties of harmless fun can't you stomach?

Dhar...@yahoo.com

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

I usually start with the names of Santa's reindeer in honor of my first
Unix admin job where my personal workstation was "blitzen". The
look on new persons's face when you name their computer "vixen" or
"donner" is highly amusing.

Noal McDonald
Unix Sys Admin
Data-Core Systems, Inc.
--
"Excuse me. Are you a yuppie?"
-woman at a gas station in Detroit

Thomas H Jones II

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <36C95E84...@usa.net>,
Alan Gauton <agauton...@usa.net> did thusly spew forth:
>Stuart Summerville wrote:
>> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>
>PCs are named by the users. Solaris machines are named by the lecturers
>purchasing the machines or the current system admin - the 4 bought last
>year are named after mathematicians, the 2 so far this year are name
>after characters from the Magic Roundabout.

euw... what about having a consistent naming convention. ick. any way, that
yuckiness aside...

At the last job that I had adminning, the two of the domains i had set up
used demonic names taken from a table in levey's satanic bible (get it,
unix machines use daemons) and another domain used comic book characters
found in the gothier publications (eg. Dark Horse). For my personal systems,
ive named them after water events (bog, undertow, tsunami, waterspout, etc.).

*shrug*

Frankly, im one of those whos gotten tired of seeing every other system
named copernicus, apollo, or bart (as mathmaticians/scientists, mythical
characters and tv cartoon characters seem to be the most popular choices.)
So, why be completely ordinary. :)

-tom

Francois Luneau

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
We are using planet names for the servers (with the idea that when the
bigger servers come around and we are out of planet names, we use star
names) and I used to have the workstations named after mountains (now, that
you can find a lot of...)

But as I noticed the workstations needed so much rework when I needed to
pass them to a new user, I decided to named them after the user. Simpler
for them to understand, but less ethically correct ;)

Otherwise, I friend of mine had a cool idea, or so I think, to use names of
different pasta. You can find a nice repertoire at the following site:
http://www.kaydara.com/pasta.htm.

Ciao!

Richard J. Sexton

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <36C9C0...@inforonics.com>,

Tele-tubbies.
Barney.
The Spice Girls.
People who can't laugh at themselves.

Dennis Clarke

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
I live in a server room. I have no life. Management pumps sunlight in for me.
My pizza is simply slid under the door. Girls laugh at me behind my back. My
parents say I was dropped at birth. Approaching people cross the street to
avoid me. I was dead for 45 seconds once. I hurt small animals. My computers
are named after school teachers that mocked me in school.

Dennis 'has-a-life' Clarke

: )

"Richard J. Sexton" wrote:

> In article <36C9C0...@inforonics.com>,
> Kurt J. Lanza <k...@inforonics.com> wrote:
> >Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> >> Do you have one called "get-a-life" ?
> >>
> >What other varieties of harmless fun can't you stomach?
>
> Tele-tubbies.
> Barney.
> The Spice Girls.
> People who can't laugh at themselves.
> --
> Richard Sexton ric...@mbz.org Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada
> 70, 72 280SE; 83 300SD http://www.mbz.org

--
Your computer needs a hobby! Join the distributed RC5-64 decryption!
Go to http://www.distributed.net/ for the fastest computer on earth!

d.clarke2.vcf

vl...@doom.net

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

We use city names here, rome, madrid, hamburg, etc,etc

> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
We use fruit. Whilst there are loads of fruit, we have
a lot of machines. When someone asks for a new machine,
I say yes sure, when you've thought of a new fruit name
we havn't used. Sometimes, they never come back :-)

Another office is full of keen train spotters, and their
machines are named after trains. I would never have
drempt there were so many different trains mind you :-(

One office I delt with had Snowwhite as the fileserver
and clients were from the 7 dwaf names. That could be
a problem if you're a growing company but they were
shrinking so it was OK. Strange thing was when they
got down to just one machine left, it was one of the
dwafs...

In the early days of the X.500 directory, it was
traditional to name your directory after an endangered
species. I remember a number of occasions where
university computing departments spent some time trying
to persaude the registrar's office to let them have all
the staff/student info to load into their X.500 DSA's.
Having finally convinced them this was a serious
exercise, the registrar's office would then discover
the DSA was called 'Three toed sloath' or somesuch,
decide they'd made a mistake and it was just some post-
grads pissing around, and refuse to supply the data.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Richard J. Sexton

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In article <36C9EB5C...@sympatico.ca>,

Dennis Clarke <dcl...@interlog.com> wrote:
>I live in a server room. I have no life. Management pumps sunlight in for me.
>My pizza is simply slid under the door. Girls laugh at me behind my back. My
>parents say I was dropped at birth. Approaching people cross the street to
>avoid me. I was dead for 45 seconds once. I hurt small animals. My computers
>are named after school teachers that mocked me in school.
>
>Dennis 'has-a-life' Clarke

You're hired. I know talent when I see it.

Andrew C. Ohnstad

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

> >>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> >>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> >>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> >>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

My main hobby, besides computer stuff, is car stereo. Henceforth:

headunit, frontstage, rearstage, subwoofer, tweeter. Any more machines
and I'll have to get creative. I also have a "cleo," which is named
after the owner's cat as a joke, and a "poof," for a certain machine
which seems to require major work (on the level of a format and reinstall
occasionally) on an almost monthly basis.

=-=Andrew

nospam...@tabi.org

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
In <36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>, on 02/16/99
at 11:52 AM, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart Summerville) said:

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your local
>networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals, fruits,
>alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What about you?
>I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

I used the names of various planets and moons in our solar system, with
an eye toward their history meaning.

My cable modem gateway/router - Janus
My big OS/2 system - Ganymede
My wife's Mac - Callisto
My test machine - Proteus

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address when replying

Timur "too sexy for my code" Tabi, ti...@tabi.org, http://www.tabi.org
OS/2 page: http://www.os2ss.com/Information/Newusers/index.html OS/2
Programming page: http://www.edm2.com/common/links.html Looking for the
best OS/2 soundcard? http://www.tabi.org/timur/crystalos2.html

Jeff Moore

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
I use Star Trek names on my home network.
ds9 for my gateway
borg for my pieced together RS6000
etc.

At work we use island or tropical place names
oahu
tripoli
mikonos
mazatlan
martinique
cabo
lanai
long
stthomas
stcroix
thousand
gilligans
etc..

Stuart Summerville wrote:

> Hi peoples,

> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Glenn & Sherry Butcher

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
We have four linux boxes for our sysadmin "crash & burn" lab - bob,
carol, ted and alice

Glenn Butcher

Tillman in Texas

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
We use classic pinball game names: Centaur, Xenon, Vector, Flash,
Fathom. Fireball, etc. Odd, yes, but it makes it immediately apparent
when an "unauthorized" server pops up.

Tillman

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart

Spencer Harvey

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
We tend to have to sci-fi movie computer names: HAL, MOTHER, etc. My home
one is HOLLY (Red Dwarf). This might explain why it crashed all the time!!

Carl Taylor

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
We use ISO standard naming conventions:

so each server has a 3 part name consisting of Country&City, Role & a
number, ie:

AUSYDSRV05

Meaning Australia Sydney General Server No.5

AUBRIPRN04

Meaning Australia Brisbane Print Server No.4

--
Carl Taylor
IT Manager Australia

Opinions expressed are personal and in
no way reflect upon my employer.

Richard J. Sexton <ric...@ns1.vrx.net> wrote in article
<7ad6e2$jfu$1...@ns1.vrx.net>...

James Dale

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

Austrailian animals Goanna,Numbat,Bilby,Mosquito,Blowfly (1 to 4),Dingo,Emu
Wombat,Numbat,etc,etc the exeption is Melanoma (it's a sun, as are most
of the others)

Til...@Strahan.org (Tillman in Texas) writes:

>We use classic pinball game names: Centaur, Xenon, Vector, Flash,
>Fathom. Fireball, etc. Odd, yes, but it makes it immediately apparent
>when an "unauthorized" server pops up.

>Tillman

>On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart

>Summerville) wrote:

>>Hi peoples,
>>
>>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Miguel Cruz

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Francois Luneau <flu...@viconics.com> wrote:
> Otherwise, I friend of mine had a cool idea, or so I think, to use names of
> different pasta. You can find a nice repertoire at the following site:
> http://www.kaydara.com/pasta.htm.

This site fails to resolve the question that has been troubling me for
years: What is the difference between rigatoni and cannelloni?

miguel

John Hascall

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
}
}AUSYDSRV05 Meaning Australia Sydney General Server No.5
}AUBRIPRN04 Meaning Australia Brisbane Print Server No.4
}

Do you count the strawberries too? Geez!

We let our user's name their machines any darn thing they like.
The machines for my current project (a Y2K time machine lab) are
named _______ly.bogus.iastate.edu :

aimlessly.bogus.iastate.edu
alphabetically.bogus.iastate.edu
amusingly.bogus.iastate.edu
completely.bogus.iastate.edu
genuinely.bogus.iastate.edu
graphically.bogus.iastate.edu
insanely.bogus.iastate.edu
millennialy.bogus.iastate.edu
ornately.bogus.iastate.edu
sadly.bogus.iastate.edu

The GIS lab is named for cities and things (beijing, kiev,
vostok, kashmir, urup, sydney, madagascar, ...)

And, of course, the workstation farm is named for crops
(alfalfa,beans,corn,oats,rice,wheat,etc). Until, that is,
I named our newest parallel machine 'kudzu' and a normally
sane manager grew pointy hair and re-christened it 'combine'
(duh, that's like not a crop, dude).

John
--
John Hascall, Software Engr. Shut up, be happy. The conveniences you
ISU Computation Center demanded are now mandatory. -Jello Biafra

Gregory G. Woodbury

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Stuart Summerville <st...@netspace.net.au> shaped electrons to say:

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

See if anyone can figure this one out. ;-)

aliceb
gertie
ellend
pablo
marcel
martina (its a server!)
Hint: Think happy thoughts Tinky-Winky.

Other machines have more mundane names like the user, or a particular
hero or fictional character. E.g. 'vonneumann' 'jabba' 'cassie' 'dukcds'
Actually, that last one is old enough that it was the UUCP name for the
first *nix box at work.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury `-_-' Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us U Errant co-moderator of:

logan...@yahoo.com

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <01be5a18$8a1b1c20$493d0a0a@ausydpc100>,

"Carl Taylor" <ctaylo...@crownworldwide.com> wrote:
> We use ISO standard naming conventions:
>
> so each server has a 3 part name consisting of Country&City, Role & a
> number, ie:
>
> AUSYDSRV05
>
> Meaning Australia Sydney General Server No.5
>
> AUBRIPRN04
>
> Meaning Australia Brisbane Print Server No.4

One of the great thing about words and language is that you can use
them to distinguish one thing from another. That is why most languages
have more than one word in them, and it's also why those words sound
different from each other. Otherwise, we could simplify language a great
deal by having only one word such as "ugh" which could be used on all
occasions and for all purposes.

So, while naming your three servers "bacon", "eggs", and "grits" might
be a little arbitrary and not as uniform as "server001", "server002", and
"server003", it is handy because when someone says or writes "bacon",
you can very easily discern that they're not talking about "eggs".
There are more differing characters (if written) or syllables (if spoken)
that act as cues as to which one is being named.

Imagine you had a chart of performance factors of three fictitious
servers. With arbitrary, non-uniform names, you have:

uptime idle time disk response
------ --------- -------------
best bacon bacon grits
middle eggs grits bacon
worst grits eggs eggs

With nice uniform names, how easy is it to read?

uptime idle time disk response
------ --------- -------------
best server001 server001 server003
middle server002 server003 server001
worst server003 server002 server002

Actually, people may be interested in the Internet RFC on this subject,
RFC1178. (A copy is at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1178.html ).

The whole thing distilled (read: butchered) into two paragraphs:

Don't overload other terms already in common use. Don't choose
a name after a project unique to that machine. Don't use your
own name. Don't use long names. Avoid alternate spellings.
Avoid domain names. Avoid domain-like names. Don't use
antagonistic or otherwise embarrassing names. Don't use digits
at the beginning of the name. Don't use non-alphanumeric
characters in a name. Don't expect case to be preserved.

Use words/names that are rarely used. Use theme names. Use
real words. Don't worry about reusing someone else's
hostname. There is always room for an exception.

Personally, I find it to be good advice. But this is just my own opinion,
plus I am guilty of breaking the advice since I once named a computer
"perelandra", which I quickly found that nobody could spell.

There was one bright spot, though. A co-worker complained to a contact at
another site about it. To his surprise, that person also had a co-worker
who had coincidentally named his computer "perelandra". They were a
little confused and wondered if maybe they were missing something.

- Logan "Hi, I'm Larry. This is my server, daryl,
and this is my other server, darryl." Shaw

Jim Reid

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
ric...@ns1.vrx.net (Richard J. Sexton) writes:

> > In article <36C9C0...@inforonics.com>, Kurt J. Lanza <k...@inforonics.com> wrote:
> >What other varieties of harmless fun can't you stomach?

> Tele-tubbies.

Well according to Jerry Falwell the Teletubbies are not harmless....

Alan Gauton

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Thomas H Jones II wrote:

> In article <36C95E84...@usa.net>,
> Alan Gauton <agauton...@usa.net> did thusly spew forth:
> >Stuart Summerville wrote:
> >> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> >> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> >> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> >> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
> >
> >PCs are named by the users. Solaris machines are named by the lecturers
> >purchasing the machines or the current system admin - the 4 bought last
> >year are named after mathematicians, the 2 so far this year are name
> >after characters from the Magic Roundabout.
>
> euw... what about having a consistent naming convention. ick. any way, that
> yuckiness aside...

There are a couple of reasons for this - there are actually three or
four people deciding names of workstations in the dept. where I work,
with separate groups (Comms, SPD, Power, etc.) Secondly, we never have
system admins long enough to establish a pattern as we usually use PhD
students to give them additional experience. I'm actually the first
staff member to be asked to look after our system in years.

--
AG

Remove removes to remove anti-spam measures.

Alan Gauton + Tel +44 141-548-2686
EEE Department, SPD, + Fax +44 141-552-2487
The University of Strathclyde + E-Mail a...@spd.eee.strath.ac.uk
204 George St., Glasgow G1 1XW+ http://www.spd.eee.strath.ac.uk/users/ag

dar...@abcol.ac.uk

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a problem
with Urananus.

Stuart Summerville

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
hmmmm, yet another way of taking the fun out of networking....

Stu.

Stuart Summerville

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Summerville) wrote:

>Hi peoples,
>

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Myself & a co-worker setup a small two server network, with names
Thelma & Louise. Quite appropriate I thought...

Not really a theme as such, but the right effect nonetheless.

Stu.

Volker Borchert

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7adah1$s6$1...@news.ycc.yale.edu>, m...@diana.law.yale.edu (Miguel Cruz) writes:

|> This site fails to resolve the question that has been troubling me for
|> years: What is the difference between rigatoni and cannelloni?

Size.
Rigatoni are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch diameter,
Canneloni are about 3 to 4 inches long and about 3/4 inch diameter.

Canneloni are intended to be filled with bolognese sauce, covered with
cheese and then baked "al forno".

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <mc...@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert <b...@teknon.de>

John Horne

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7accum$lj5$3...@news.servint.com>,

vl...@doom.net writes:

> We use city names here, rome, madrid, hamburg, etc,etc
>
>> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Currently we mainly use Greek/Roman gods, titans, mythical characters
for our Sun systems - eros, pandora, vulcan, etc. The network people
started using characters from the Hobbit - gandalf, etc. Then they
moved to composers - chopin, liszt, etc. The last batch we had was
'rudolph' - installed at Xmas and we were going to use the reindeer
names. The very last was renamed (from apollo) 'mabel' (??) - I don't
know why but was told by one of the managers to rename the system to
mabel.

Our Y2K network has 'games'! - kerplunk, buckeroo, yoyo and the like :-)

John.
John Horne E-mail: J.H...@plymouth.ac.uk
Academic and Information Services Phone : +44 (0) 1752 - 233911
University of Plymouth, UK Fax : +44 (0) 1752 - 233919

heh

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Summerville) wrote:

>Hi peoples,
>

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks.

I use rather large prime numbers.

;-}

Paul Boyer

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
have a look to MIT.edu way of naming machines, they are pretty original.
ten-thousand-dollars-bill.mit.edu is an exemple.

Also, I use some pasta cooking recipies for some of the machines, and
cigars brands for an other one.

Paul

John Horne <J.H...@plymouth.ac.uk> wrote in article
<36caa...@palantir.pbs.plym.ac.uk>...

> In article <7accum$lj5$3...@news.servint.com>,
> vl...@doom.net writes:
> >
> > We use city names here, rome, madrid, hamburg, etc,etc
> >

> >> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your

Message has been deleted

Michael D. Ober

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I named my server that requires daily attention "Sicko". My boss came in
one morning after I had done that and said "Sicko". My response was "You
knew which machine it was" and he said "You're right".

Mike Ober.

impish

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Summerville) wrote:

>Hi peoples,
>

>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>

>Stu.

I just keep stealing them from Dantes Inferno

Limbo
Dis
Minos

A never ending supply.

Impish

Ignore the header, please respond in the newsgroup or
to the following e-mail address:
pdean96 at zdnetmail dot com

Shaun Conrad

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Go for mythology. Our Cluster Server is Gemini, with the 2 machines being
Castor & Pollux. There's quite a few mythological characters, so you
probably won't run out too fast.

Shaun

Stuart Summerville wrote in message
<36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...

>Hi peoples,
>
>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>
>Stu.

Izak Burger

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Have a cluster here named after some of the big guys in Physics and
Electricity....Gauss, Ampere, and Einstein.

regards
Izak

Note: Mail from yahoo.com and hotmail.com domains will go to a special folder
and my not get read until much later. I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I
get to much spam from people in these domains.

----==-- _
---==---(_)__ __ ____ __
Microsoft is not the answer. --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
Microsoft is the question. -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
Linux is the answer: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Arthur Green

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart Summerville) writes:
> Hi peoples,
>
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

In a previous place of employment, we (the IS department) used to name
all the new machines. We went though a phase of using body parts and
organs for machine names. One user got "colon" -- we had to tell him
we were naming machines after punctuation marks ...

One of my colleagues named an AIX system pita (it's an acronym -- she
din't like AIX at all).

--

Arthur Green

Allan Hawdon

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
heh (h...@heh.heh) wrote:
: On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart
: Summerville) wrote:

: >Hi peoples,

: >
: >Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
: >local networks.

: I use rather large prime numbers.

Or go the whole hog and use NSAPS.

The last place I worked used Norse Gods/Goddesses. Users generally
assumed they were obscure DECNet terms.

Here we use trees (boring). I've managed to introduce reptiles and such
like, mainly due to misunderstanding on my part when involved in an X500
project a while back. Nobody ever gets axolotl right, which has set me
to thinking about using mesoamerican deities or Mexican place names. That
should keep the systems nice and lightly loaded.

Michael

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
You mean Uranus keeps dumping so we need to boot it?
If that doesn't fix it, try wiping it and starting again?
--
Michael.

Windows NT Chat with the Microsoft NT product team
NT Server - Frances Reay/Mark Tennant
NT Workstation - Nick McGrath
Thursday 18th February at 4pm GMT
See http://msn.co.uk/chat for more details

dar...@abcol.ac.uk wrote in message <7aecq4$r34$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a
problem
>with Urananus.

Craig J Copi

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <MPG.1134a7bc3...@news.ind.net>,
t...@birch.palni.eduNOSPAM (Tom Metzger) writes:
> We started with tree names (hickory, ash, oak, chestnut) and have since
> moved on to Star Trek names on one of our domains (spock, data, crusher,
> worf, etc) and Disney names for our NT (ugh) machines (Bugs, Daffy,
^^^^ ^^^^^
Well, at least these two are appropriate.

> Warner).

Craig
--
Craig J Copi | cj...@po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University | http://erebus.phys.cwru.edu/~copi/

kcy...@usa.net

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7aer7v$rc3$1...@alexander.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

cj...@po.cwru.edu (Craig J Copi) wrote:
> In article <MPG.1134a7bc3...@news.ind.net>,
> t...@birch.palni.eduNOSPAM (Tom Metzger) writes:
> > We started with tree names (hickory, ash, oak, chestnut) and have since
> > moved on to Star Trek names on one of our domains (spock, data, crusher,
> > worf, etc) and Disney names for our NT (ugh) machines (Bugs, Daffy,
> ^^^^ ^^^^^
> Well, at least these two are appropriate.
>
> > Warner).

Yeah, but since when do Bugs & Daffy work for Disney?

Kurt

Roman Visintine

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Our PDC was named Saturn at one point in time. After a bad crash and 12
hours of re-constructing the PDC it had a new name...Uranus. People weren't
too fond of the name so we changed it to Mercury when we brought our new PDC
on-line. As for the names of client machines in the network... one of the
guys here like to name them after rocks and minerals.

--Roman

Michael wrote:

> You mean Uranus keeps dumping so we need to boot it?
> If that doesn't fix it, try wiping it and starting again?
> --
> Michael.
>
> Windows NT Chat with the Microsoft NT product team
> NT Server - Frances Reay/Mark Tennant
> NT Workstation - Nick McGrath
> Thursday 18th February at 4pm GMT
> See http://msn.co.uk/chat for more details
>
> dar...@abcol.ac.uk wrote in message <7aecq4$r34$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a
> problem
> >with Urananus.

romanv.vcf

logan...@yahoo.com

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7aecq4$r34$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

dar...@abcol.ac.uk wrote:
> If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a problem
> with Urananus.

Oh boy. I once had a user name a computer simply "b". Actually, this
made sense since the next part of the fully-qualified name was "arc".
At least, he told me this made it make sense in light of some science
fiction I hadn't read. At any rate, it wasn't hard to remember "b".

- Logan

John E. Adams

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Here's our list: a-k, grumpy, snappy, zippy, flash, friendly, sleepy
No dwarfs, no themes.
--
John Adams jo...@a-k.boston.ma.us (561)735-3248

Chip Campbell

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I once called a new pair of workstations micron and tardis, on the
basis that they were too little, too late.

Chip

>> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your

>> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Michael Paci

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <ejYGuOoW#GA....@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>, "Shaun
Conrad" <sco...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>There's quite a few mythological characters, so you
>probably won't run out too fast.

Here's another mythical character: missioncriticalNTbox

I'm laughing if nobody else is...

mike paci

Thomas H Jones II

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7aecq4$r34$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
<dar...@abcol.ac.uk> did thusly spew forth:
>If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a problem
>with Urananus.

likely, you mean "Uranus".

and, like any good conversation, the topic eventually turned to 'ass'...

-tom

Dennis Clarke

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I'm giggling. I spent the afternoon at a company that is having
stability problems with their DEC Alpha based NT boxes. I asked them
what the uptime was like and they kinda shrugged and said about six to
seven hours at a time. No kidding. I suggested scrapping them and
putting in Solaris based Sun boxes and they looked at each other and
then said - "We can't administer unix".

I said "What could be worse, a set of servers that crash three times a
day - OR - a server that you look at once every week and then
call in someone to do administration for you - remotely. Meanwhile your
users and management are happy cause your email system hasn't stopped
working. You have uptime measured in months?"

You can guess the answer. People are learning - slowly - but they are
learning.

Dennis

Michael Paci wrote:

--
Your computer needs a hobby! Join the distributed RC5-64 decryption!
Go to http://www.distributed.net/ for the fastest computer on earth!

d.clarke2.vcf

Eric L. Patterson

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I knew a guy who used disease names:
rickets
cholera
etc...

I've always wanted to try famous porn stars, but haven't got the guts.
Otherwise, we generally use nuclear reactor names, rock bands, disney
and the like.

--
Eric Patterson UNIX/Novell/NT System
Administrator

Michael

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

Richard Ashton <{R}@sunshine.tm> wrote in message
<919272688s...@sunshine.tm>...
>Don't quote the whole post, sunshine.

Are Demon finding it difficult to find enough storage space for his quotes
and your headers? <g>

Malcolm Dunnett

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <36CB4315...@sympatico.ca>,
Dennis Clarke <d.cl...@sympatico.ca> writes:

> I'm giggling. I spent the afternoon at a company that is having
> stability problems with their DEC Alpha based NT boxes. I asked them
> what the uptime was like and they kinda shrugged and said about six to
> seven hours at a time. No kidding. I suggested scrapping them and
> putting in Solaris based Sun boxes and they looked at each other and
> then said - "We can't administer unix".

Why would you suggest they scrap their hardware when they can already
run multiple flavours of Unix ( "OSF1/Digital Unix/Tru64 Unix" or linux )
or ( even better ) VMS on the existing hardware?

> I said "What could be worse, a set of servers that crash three times a
> day - OR - a server that you look at once every week and then
> call in someone to do administration for you - remotely. Meanwhile your
> users and management are happy cause your email system hasn't stopped
> working. You have uptime measured in months?"
>
> You can guess the answer. People are learning - slowly - but they are
> learning.

Yep, now if some other folks could learn Solaris isn't the only
alternative to NT :-) <-- look, I'm smiling, keep the flames on low please!

Malcolm Dunnett Malaspina University-College Email: dun...@mala.bc.ca
Computer Services Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5 Tel: (250)755-8738

"OpenVMS is today what Microsoft wants Windows NT v8.0 to be!"
posted on www.openvms.digital.com on or about Sep 22,1998
Quashed on Sep 23,1998

Ken

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Tom Metzger wrote:

> We started with tree names (hickory, ash, oak, chestnut) and have since
> moved on to Star Trek names on one of our domains (spock, data, crusher,
> worf, etc) and Disney names for our NT (ugh) machines (Bugs, Daffy,
> Warner).

When we brought up our company engineering LAN around 1989, my boss
wanted Yoda, so I just followed the Star Wars theme for everything else
and used characters and ships. There are enough minor characters, esp.
when you include books and comic books, to name a few hands of machines.

The office subnet (mostly NT) uses star names.

--
Ken
mailto:sh...@well.com

jim

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

kcypher+AEA-usa.net wrote in message +ADw-7af51q+ACQ-h5v+ACQ-1+AEA-nnrp1.dejanews.com+AD4-...
+AD4-In article +ADw-7aer7v+ACQ-rc3+ACQ-1+AEA-alexander.INS.CWRU.Edu+AD4-,
+AD4- cjc5+AEA-po.cwru.edu (Craig J Copi) wrote:
+AD4APg- In article +ADw-MPG.1134a7bc303f3e4f989726+AEA-news.ind.net+AD4-,
+AD4APg- tom+AEA-birch.palni.eduNOSPAM (Tom Metzger) writes:
+AD4APg- +AD4- We started with tree names (hickory, ash, oak, chestnut) and have since
+AD4APg- +AD4- moved on to Star Trek names on one of our domains (spock, data,
crusher,
+AD4APg- +AD4- worf, etc) and Disney names for our NT (ugh) machines (Bugs, Daffy,
Warner).
+AD4APg- +AF4AXgBeAF4- +AF4AXgBeAF4AXg-
+AD4APg- Well, at least these two are appropriate.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- +AD4- Warner).
+AD4-
+AD4-Yeah, but since when do Bugs +ACY- Daffy work for Disney?
+AD4-
+AD4-Kurt
+AD4-

They started when the Warner Brothers did.

joca...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
In article <7aejm9$trk$1...@news-2.csn.net>,

Our allegedly high-availability system that really crashes all the time is
known as titanic.

joca...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
[snip]

> Here we use trees (boring). I've managed to introduce reptiles and such
> like, mainly due to misunderstanding on my part when involved in an X500
> project a while back. Nobody ever gets axolotl right, which has set me
> to thinking about using mesoamerican deities or Mexican place names. That
> should keep the systems nice and lightly loaded.

The Windows NT (Yuck!) system in my office is Aristophanes. That didn't
bother me at first since it doesn't have e-mail or any other services on
it, but I always question my sanity when I'm using the X-Windows emulator
and have to set my DISPLAY variable to point back to my machine....

--
John

steveT

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
I'm glad people are getting wise to MS. I'm glad Linus makes Bill Nervous
too! The Scandanavians are shit hot at this stuff... It's those long winters
I reakon.

Dennis Clarke wrote:

> I'm giggling. I spent the afternoon at a company that is having
> stability problems with their DEC Alpha based NT boxes. I asked them
> what the uptime was like and they kinda shrugged and said about six to
> seven hours at a time. No kidding. I suggested scrapping them and
> putting in Solaris based Sun boxes and they looked at each other and
> then said - "We can't administer unix".
>

> I said "What could be worse, a set of servers that crash three times a
> day - OR - a server that you look at once every week and then
> call in someone to do administration for you - remotely. Meanwhile your
> users and management are happy cause your email system hasn't stopped
> working. You have uptime measured in months?"
>
> You can guess the answer. People are learning - slowly - but they are
> learning.
>

> Dennis
>
> Michael Paci wrote:
>
> > In article <ejYGuOoW#GA....@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>, "Shaun
> > Conrad" <sco...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > >There's quite a few mythological characters, so you
> > >probably won't run out too fast.
> >
> > Here's another mythical character: missioncriticalNTbox
> >
> > I'm laughing if nobody else is...
> >
> > mike paci
>
> --
> Your computer needs a hobby! Join the distributed RC5-64 decryption!
> Go to http://www.distributed.net/ for the fastest computer on earth!

steven...@bigpond.com
jungle...@mailexcite.com
http://website.lineone.net/~steve-taylor/CV.html

Anthony Mandic

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Carl Taylor wrote:

> We use ISO standard naming conventions:
>
> so each server has a 3 part name consisting of Country&City, Role & a
> number, ie:
>
> AUSYDSRV05
>
> Meaning Australia Sydney General Server No.5
>
> AUBRIPRN04
>
> Meaning Australia Brisbane Print Server No.4

So how the fuck long does it take you to work out where to
telnet or rlogin to? And bloody uppercase as well! They
aren't PCs are they?

-am

dar...@abcol.ac.uk

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Another option is to use the names of characters that John Wayne played -
thats good for 200 odd servers, then you could do the same for co-stars.

Daz

Anthony Mandic

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
logan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Oh boy. I once had a user name a computer simply "b". Actually, this
> made sense since the next part of the fully-qualified name was "arc".
> At least, he told me this made it make sense in light of some science
> fiction I hadn't read. At any rate, it wasn't hard to remember "b".

Ah, yes. I like them short too. But you're one sounds good.
Do you have one named "d" or maybe "f"?

I wonder what I can do with the "agd" domain I have? But currently
I'm using sun-related themes - noon, moon, dawn and, of course,
dusk, sunset and twilight (but this is more to do with my
crepuscular interests than anything to do with Sun).

-am

ar...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
gromky is a good choice for the noisy box
But the best name I ever saw was nugapac
You must know Russian to appreciate it...

-- arig

In article <z7gy2.1345$Kk2.362@insync>,
Andrew <a...@vellocet.insync.net> wrote:
<...>

> We name our machines after Nadsat words from Clockwork Orange (vellocet,
> drencrom, synthemesc, mozg, moloko, etc.). One of our machines is quite
> aptly named gromky (which means "loud") because it has a noisy hard drive.
> =)
>
> --
> Andrew O. Smith - <a...@insync.net>
> Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services
> Houston, Texas, USA

Flemming S. Johansen

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
John Horne wrote:
> [snip]
> Currently we mainly use Greek/Roman gods, titans, mythical characters
> for our Sun systems - eros, pandora, vulcan, etc. The network people
> started using characters from the Hobbit - gandalf, etc. Then they
> moved to composers - chopin, liszt, etc. The last batch we had was
> 'rudolph' - installed at Xmas and we were going to use the reindeer
> names. The very last was renamed (from apollo) 'mabel' (??) - I don't
> know why but was told by one of the managers to rename the system to
> mabel.
>
> Our Y2K network has 'games'! - kerplunk, buckeroo, yoyo and the like :-)

Our Sun Ultra workstations have names like heaven, nirvana, olympus,
etc.
Conversely, the first Ultra server we got was promptly named hell - that
way I could tell my users where to go to when they wanted more cycles
;-)

Our Linux boxes are generally named after roman emperors: Nero,
augustus,
etc. This began with the first Linux box "officially" installed. Its
sole
task is to host a CD-ROM recorder. And by calling it nero I could make
an awful pun about it in danish (sorry, it doesn't translate).

Back in the old days when I admin'ed a bunch of AIX boxes, the main
server
was called 'sol' (latin for sun), and the clients were named after
planets.

Flemming S. Johansen
f...@terma.com

Dennis Clarke

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
The email/application/web environment is based on Lotus Notes. Thus Solaris is
the best choice for stability while NT is the best choice for cost.

Dennis

--

d.clarke2.vcf

Allan Hawdon

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99

: dar...@abcol.ac.uk wrote:
: > If real planets are used the eventually a user will ask if there is a problem
: > with Urananus.

: Oh boy. I once had a user name a computer simply "b". Actually, this

: made sense since the next part of the fully-qualified name was "arc".
: At least, he told me this made it make sense in light of some science
: fiction I hadn't read. At any rate, it wasn't hard to remember "b".

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Michael

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
steveT wrote in message <36CC4783...@bigpond.com>...

>I'm glad people are getting wise to MS. I'm glad Linus makes Bill Nervous
>too! The Scandanavians are shit hot at this stuff... It's those long
winters
>I reakon.

Perhaps we should get Ulrika Johnson to write the next version then? <g>

I think the success of Linux has more to do with the input from thousands of
people worldwide rather than one guy.
Ironic given the amount of text on open source how we still want a single
person to identify the product with.
All MS bugs are Bill Gates fault all Linux bugs are Linus' fault?

an U.S.A. (Unix Sys Admin)

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Allan Hawdon wrote:

> heh (h...@heh.heh) wrote:
> : On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart
> : Summerville) wrote:
>
> : >Hi peoples,
> : >
> : >Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> : >local networks.
>
> : I use rather large prime numbers.
>
> Or go the whole hog and use NSAPS.
>
> The last place I worked used Norse Gods/Goddesses. Users generally
> assumed they were obscure DECNet terms.

> Here we use trees (boring). I've managed to introduce reptiles and such
> like, mainly due to misunderstanding on my part when involved in an X500
> project a while back. Nobody ever gets axolotl right, which has set me
> to thinking about using mesoamerican deities or Mexican place names. That
> should keep the systems nice and lightly loaded.

I have done that!

A few examples:

tenoch, quetzalcoatl, ollin, tlaloc. Then our hindu boss got his and
named it Krishna! The russian guys were going nuts!

CHeers

To send e-mail please remove the anti-spam and use:
my username: jlms
my mailbox sits in: geocities.com

Peter Keel

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99

We had used Quarks for our internal office: charm, strange, up, down
(a Windows ;), but we've moved to arabian/farsi male names: ali,
aladdin, zamir, ibrahim, abdul... due to an affinity of our
PC-supporteress for arabian guys ;)

At home, we have Characters from books (tigger, schnuddel) and
erisian prophets (malaclypse, zarathud, omar...) plus some misbehaving
NT named hal9000.

Peter
--
"The more prohibitions there are, The poorer the people will be"
-- Lao Tse

Frederic Goudal

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
"Eric L. Patterson" <ele...@ne.ksu.edu> writes:

> I knew a guy who used disease names:
> rickets
> cholera
> etc...
>
> I've always wanted to try famous porn stars, but haven't got the guts.

I've named mine... hardcore !!

But that's an exception. Last series
were : colors (15 at a time) previous one were french writers, we have
had painters, scultors, marxbrothers, photogtaphers, mountain, Rome
hills, 7 dwarves...

Our server are named after the carthago heroes, and the Salammbô novel by
Flaubert. (But the funiest is that one of our server is named salambo
like my daughter, with the same error (one m instead of 2) , but I
joined this job after by daughter was born, it's just a very strange coincidence...

f.g.

--
FiLH photography. A taste of freedom in a conventional world.
New web site address http://www.i-france.com/filh

Jens Haug

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99

We call our server ILikeToCrossPostToAHundredNewsGroups.
The clients are called MeToo, MeThree, F'up2 and *plonk*.

Jens

Arto V. Viitanen

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99

Stuart> Hi peoples, Just curious to know what themes you use for machine
Stuart> names on your local networks. I've heard of or used some of the
Stuart> following: animals, fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie
Stuart> stars, & musicians. What about you? I'm sure there's some birarre
Stuart> ones being used out there....

I've been using Isaac Asimov's planet names, mainly from his Foundation
series. I have had (either as my workstation, home PC, or as server I have
been administrated):

aurora
terminus
anacreon
askone
kalgan
siwenna

Trantor is too obvious.

--
Arto V. Viitanen a...@cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer Science

sven the hairy

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Spices: Mint, thyme, Curry, Dil, Basil, etc...

You'll never run out of names, plus often you can match the spice to the
machine-user's personality.

For a linux box, my favorite name is Sparky, i.e. Tom Tommorrow's Sparky the
Wonder Penguin.

Stuart Summerville wrote in message
<36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...
>Hi peoples,
>
>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>
>Stu.

>Stuart Summerville
>Home: st...@netspace.net.au
>Work: stuart.su...@icpdd.neca.nec.com.au

Thomas H Jones II

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
In article <7afu9s$86i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
<joca...@my-dejanews.com> did thusly spew forth:
>Our allegedly high-availability system that really crashes all the time is
>known as titanic.

Had an HA-pair whose heartbeat interfaces i gave the names "crash" and
"burn" to. Noone else thought it was funny.

-tom

Jeff McWilliams

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
>Stuart Summerville wrote in message
><36cb58cb...@news.netspace.net.au>...
>>Hi peoples,
>>
>>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>>
>>Stu.

Characters in Greek or Roman mythology are good, or just the names
of planets and moons in our solar system.

Another good set is heroes and namaes of the Valar out of
J.R.R. Tolkien's books, especially the Silmarillion.

Where I work they started out using cartoon character names,
so I'm stuck with them. My desktop is "Brain" while my
laptop is "Pinky". One NT box is "Snowball" also from the Pinky & the Brain
animation series. One of our Linux boxes is "Homer".
Bleah - I liked the Middle Earth names at my previous
job better.

there was nothing better than telnet'ing to Nargothrond...

:-)

Jeff

Rod MacBain

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
"sven the hairy" <ji...@anti-social.com> spake thusly:

>Spices: Mint, thyme, Curry, Dil, Basil, etc...
>

>>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>>
>>Stu.

How come nobody uses penguin names - it seems a natural for linux
boxes. You know - King, Emperor, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Adele.

Rod

Stephen Turner

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Rod MacBain wrote:

> How come nobody uses penguin names - it seems a natural for linux
> boxes. You know - King, Emperor, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Adele.

I have a box with two copies of Linux on different partitions, the main one
called adelie, and a very small one for testing called littleblue. I also
have webspace (albeit unused) at www.adelie.freeserve.co.uk.

--
Stephen Turner sr...@cam.ac.uk http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England

Steve Trask

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
We have used Star Trek names on a few systems. We have a file server named
"BORG" (it assimilates everything), and "ENTERPRISE" as its the main server.

Steve

Rod MacBain wrote in message <36cf4655...@allnews.nbnet.nb.ca>...

>"sven the hairy" <ji...@anti-social.com> spake thusly:
>
>>Spices: Mint, thyme, Curry, Dil, Basil, etc...
>>
>>>Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
>>>local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
>>>fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
>>>about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>>>
>>>Stu.
>>>

>How come nobody uses penguin names - it seems a natural for linux
>boxes. You know - King, Emperor, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Adele.
>

>Rod

Mladen Gogala

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.990218122640.21961A-100000@jemima>,

"an U.S.A. (Unix Sys Admin)" <sali...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Allan Hawdon wrote:
>
> > heh (h...@heh.heh) wrote:
> > : On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:03 GMT, st...@netspace.net.au (Stuart
> > : Summerville) wrote:
> >
> > : >Hi peoples,
> > : >
> > : >Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> > : >local networks.
> >

> > : I use rather large prime numbers.
> >
> > Or go the whole hog and use NSAPS.
> >
> > The last place I worked used Norse Gods/Goddesses. Users generally
> > assumed they were obscure DECNet terms.
> >
> > Here we use trees (boring). I've managed to introduce reptiles and such
> > like, mainly due to misunderstanding on my part when involved in an X500
> > project a while back. Nobody ever gets axolotl right, which has set me
> > to thinking about using mesoamerican deities or Mexican place names. That
> > should keep the systems nice and lightly loaded.
> >

> I have done that!
>
> A few examples:
>
> tenoch, quetzalcoatl, ollin, tlaloc. Then our hindu boss got his and
> named it Krishna! The russian guys were going nuts!
>
> CHeers

> To send e-mail please remove the anti-spam and use:
> my username: jlms
> my mailbox sits in: geocities.com

I know of the LAN with the following machine names: ken, bill, monica, linda,
newt,trent and hillary. I think I can guess where did they get their naming
scheme and I think they want run out of names any time soon.
Mladen Gogala

Barry Keeney

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Stuart Summerville (st...@netspace.net.au) wrote:
: Hi peoples,

: Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your

: local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,

: fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
: about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

How about 70's porn stars :^)

--
Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting

Scott Harrington

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Stuart Summerville wrote:
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

Islands (alcatraz, oahu, laputa, manhattan, sumatra, ...)
Rivers (amazon, nile, columbia, mackenzie, ganges, volga, danube, ...)
Mountains:
cascade volcanoes (rainier, adams, mazama, hood, shasta, baker, ...)
appalachia (mitchell, marcy, katahdin, rogers, ...)

Our admin in Bermuda named our two Xyplex terminal servers "codfish" and
"potatoes" after the local dish.

jrgu...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I've used planets and celestial body names, and in another network used
professional sports teams.

In article <36C95E84...@usa.net>,
agauton...@usa.net wrote:
> Stuart Summerville wrote:
> >
> > Hi peoples,

> > Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> > local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> > fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> > about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....
>

> PCs are named by the users. Solaris machines are named by the lecturers
> purchasing the machines or the current system admin - the 4 bought last
> year are named after mathematicians, the 2 so far this year are name
> after characters from the Magic Roundabout.
>
> --
> AG
>
> Remove removes to remove anti-spam measures.

> Alan Gauton + Tel +44 141-548-2686
> EEE Department, SPD, + Fax +44 141-552-2487
> The University of Strathclyde + E-Mail a...@spd.eee.strath.ac.uk
> 204 George St., Glasgow G1 1XW+ http://www.spd.eee.strath.ac.uk/users/ag

Hansang Bae

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99

Planet names. You can even find JPGs to use as a background (on NASA's
web site)

*********** Remove the REMOVE if emailing me directly **************
Hansang Bae Director of Network Operations, Eastern Region
Richey Systems Main Office: (800) 776-5145
hb...@richeysystems.com Reg. Office: (718) 650-9021
Specializing in Network Design/Troubleshooting and Protocol Analysis

Miguel Cruz

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Stuart Summerville <st...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Just curious to know what themes you use for machine names on your
> local networks. I've heard of or used some of the following: animals,
> fruits, alcoholic beverages, artists, movie stars, & musicians. What
> about you? I'm sure there's some birarre ones being used out there....

I've started to use "things you can buy at a hardware store". So there's
hammer, grommet, drillbit, 2x4, yardstick, and so on. Every once in a while
I have to go out to Home Depot for more ideas.

miguel

Anton

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
>The email/application/web environment is based on Lotus Notes.

Ahhh... so thats why the servers were crashing ;-)

Carl Taylor

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Good grief, the problem isn't with NT or the Alpha's it must be the way
they set them up. I have an NT server which has been up for 256 days
currently and the last time it was taken was to do a memory upgrade, not
for a crash.
--

Dennis Clarke <d.cl...@sympatico.ca> wrote in article
<36CB4315...@sympatico.ca>...

> I'm giggling. I spent the afternoon at a company that is having
> stability problems with their DEC Alpha based NT boxes. I asked them
> what the uptime was like and they kinda shrugged and said about six to
> seven hours at a time. No kidding. I suggested scrapping them and
> putting in Solaris based Sun boxes and they looked at each other and
> then said - "We can't administer unix".
>

> I said "What could be worse, a set of servers that crash three times a
> day - OR - a server that you look at once every week and then
> call in someone to do administration for you - remotely. Meanwhile your
> users and management are happy cause your email system hasn't stopped
> working. You have uptime measured in months?"
>
> You can guess the answer. People are learning - slowly - but they are
> learning.
>

> Dennis
>
> Michael Paci wrote:
>
> > In article <ejYGuOoW#GA....@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>, "Shaun
> > Conrad" <sco...@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > >There's quite a few mythological characters, so you
> > >probably won't run out too fast.
> >
> > Here's another mythical character: missioncriticalNTbox
> >
> > I'm laughing if nobody else is...
> >
> > mike paci

Carl Taylor

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
A Star trek name would be an obvious one for a server running UniCentre TNG

--

Steve Trask <tr...@tstonramp.com> wrote in article
<7ahnrb$ot5$1...@remarQ.com>...

> We have used Star Trek names on a few systems. We have a file server
named
> "BORG" (it assimilates everything), and "ENTERPRISE" as its the main
server.

> Steve
>
> Rod MacBain wrote in message <36cf4655...@allnews.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> >"sven the hairy" <ji...@anti-social.com> spake thusly:
> >
> >>Spices: Mint, thyme, Curry, Dil, Basil, etc...

It is loading more messages.