PKgadd error on Netscape install

Homebooby

Feb 14, 2001, 1:43:57 PM2/14/01
I hope that someone can help out here, cos I am going crazy over this

I am trying to install Netscape on a Solaris 7 box and am getting the
following error message with pkgadd in the NSCPcom directory:

# pkgadd -d NSCPcom
pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- open of <NSCPcom> failed, errno=2
pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from <NSCPcom>

I have the same problem with 4.75 and 4.76 which I have downloaded
from the Sun homepage. I gunzipped the file and then issued the tar
-xf command as stated in the install instructions. I have no idea why
this is happening.

Any ideas?

Homebooby

Homebooby

Feb 14, 2001, 1:45:15 PM2/14/01

Darren Dunham

Feb 14, 2001, 2:00:18 PM2/14/01
Homebooby <ne...@homebooby.com> wrote:
> I hope that someone can help out here, cos I am going crazy over this

> I am trying to install Netscape on a Solaris 7 box and am getting the
> following error message with pkgadd in the NSCPcom directory:

> # pkgadd -d NSCPcom
> pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
> - open of <NSCPcom> failed, errno=2
> pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from <NSCPcom>

pkgadd -d . NSCPcom or
pkgadd -d .

NSCPcom is presumably the package. Give -d the directory that contains
the package, not the package itself.

--
Darren Dunham ddu...@taos.com
Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Homebooby

Homebooby

Feb 14, 2001, 5:21:07 PM2/14/01

Ozzy Osbourne

Feb 14, 2001, 5:41:46 PM2/14/01
Darren

Thanks for the reply. Apologies to all for the multiple posts, my news
reader
was playing up and not showing it.

Adding onto what you have said, the folder NSCPcom contains an install,
pkginfo, pkgmap and one other file. The NSCPcom folder itself is located
/export/home/gdno/netscape/NSCPcom

If I enter pkgadd -d /export/home/gdno/netscape I am told that it can't find
package.

If I try pkgadd -d /export/home/gdno/netscape/NSCPcom , I get the same error
message as described below.

I am sure this is a schoolboy error, but can't work out what I am doing
wrong

Thanks

Homebooby

>===== Original Message From Darren Dunham <ddu...@redwood.taos.com> =====

>Homebooby <ne...@homebooby.com> wrote:
>> I hope that someone can help out here, cos I am going crazy over this
>
>> I am trying to install Netscape on a Solaris 7 box and am getting the
>> following error message with pkgadd in the NSCPcom directory:
>

>> # pkgadd -d NSCPcom
>> pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
>> - open of <NSCPcom> failed, errno=2
>> pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from <NSCPcom>
>

>pkgadd -d . NSCPcom or
>pkgadd -d .
>
>NSCPcom is presumably the package. Give -d the directory that contains
>the package, not the package itself.
>
>--
>Darren Dunham ddu...@taos.com
>Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company
>Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
> < Please move on, ...nothing to see here, please disperse >

Darren Dunham

Feb 15, 2001, 1:22:52 PM2/15/01
Ozzy Osbourne <home...@mailandnews.com> wrote:
> Darren

> Thanks for the reply. Apologies to all for the multiple posts, my news
> reader
> was playing up and not showing it.

> Adding onto what you have said, the folder NSCPcom contains an install,
> pkginfo, pkgmap and one other file. The NSCPcom folder itself is located
> /export/home/gdno/netscape/NSCPcom

That sounds correct.

> If I enter pkgadd -d /export/home/gdno/netscape I am told that it can't find
> package.

That seems strange... That's the one that should work...
Check your permissions on the files. It may need to be world readable.
Patches are that way, I'm not sure if packages have to, also.

Thorsten Krause

Feb 15, 2001, 2:14:03 PM2/15/01

Homebooby schrieb:

Hy,