TIMEOUT parameter in /etc/default/login : solaris

Ram Rudra

Jun 8, 2001, 3:02:51 PM6/8/01
Hi

With refrence to Solaris 2.6, I am working to get a solution for
"automatic termination" of unix terminal/telnet login session
after some preset idle time.

Has anybody used the parameter "TIMEOUT" in /etc/default/login.
I have uncommented the line for TIMEOUT in /etc/default/login and logged in
to the system console, but login session is not timing out after the set time.
I have also tested for telnet login, but it doesn't work either.

What is it "TIMEOUT" is meant for in /etc/default/login.
I have searched for this in various docs and links, but I couldn't find
any details.

Does anybody used this parameter and how/where it is used.

I know there are utils called "ideld" and "Logmon" which can be used,
but is there a way this can be implemented without third party tools.

Thanks in advance.

Ram

Mark Mentovai

Jun 8, 2001, 4:06:45 PM6/8/01

TIMEOUT is the amount of time that the login program will run without
actually logging anyone in and exec()ing a shell. It is not an idle
timeout, is not "reset" by activity or unsuccessful logins, and is
certainly not inherited in any way by login's children. If you set
TIMEOUT, and login is still running when the timer expires, it will
exit. That's all.

Go ahead and give it a try - set it (but not shorter than the time it
takes you to log in) and watch what happens.

Mark

Ram Rudra

Jun 11, 2001, 1:56:26 PM6/11/01
Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot for the quick response and clarification.

Ram

Alexey Parshin

Jun 13, 2001, 9:00:11 PM6/13/01
But how I can extend the telnet timeout time?

Mark Mentovai wrote:

--
Alexey Parshin
DBA

Will Renkel

Jun 14, 2001, 10:13:36 AM6/14/01
That timeout value is how long the system will wait for a user to login before dropping the connection.
Can test by telnetting to a server and dont log in.
It will drop connection ath that timeout value.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
ren...@xnet.com
luc...@xnet.com

"Golf and bowling are not a matter of life and death ...
they transcend such trivial matters!"

"da little BIG DOG!"

Hasmukh Daji

Jun 14, 2001, 12:02:53 PM6/14/01
I have a similar situation when connection Solaris 2.6 server using Telnet.
After about 2-3 minutes of no keyboard activity it logs out on me. I did
check the TIMEOUT parameter in /etc/default/login, and it is commneted out.

Any idesas as to how can I inhbit session timeouts completely?

hd...@msn.com
Hasmukh Daji

"Will Renkel" <ren...@xnet.com> wrote in message

Tony Walton

Jun 14, 2001, 12:48:43 PM6/14/01
Hasmukh Daji wrote:

> I have a similar situation when connection Solaris 2.6 server using Telnet.
> After about 2-3 minutes of no keyboard activity it logs out on me. I did
> check the TIMEOUT parameter in /etc/default/login, and it is commneted out.
>
> Any idesas as to how can I inhbit session timeouts completely?

A login timeout and an idle session timeout are two different things.
The login timeout is the time taken before the connection (network or
modem) drops if you connect to the machine, get a login prompt then do
nothing. After a time the connection will drop - on a telnet connection
you'll see "Connection closed by foreign host". This time is set by the
TIMEOUT value in /etc/default login; if no value is specified (for
instance if the line is commented out) the default value of 300 seconds
- 5 minutes - is used.

Being logged out after a period of no activity is a different thing. It
is not controlled by TIMEOUT in /etc/default login (which ceases to mean
anything after you're successfully logged in). It may be controlled by
a shell variable (ksh uses TMOUT, for example) or by a process such as
idled.

There is no idle timeout by default on a standard Solaris system - I
suggest you ask your system administrator what he or she is doing to
enforce an idle timeout and try to persuade them to increase it from 2-3
minutes, which to me seems rather excessively low.

--
Tony