ONC RPC Sources

Lupo LeBoucher

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

I've been reading the book "Power Programming with RPC" (O'Reilly, c'est
evident) & trying to learn something about RPC. According to this book and
other sources, Sun's source code for RPC has been public domain since
1985. While I am able to find bits and pieces of it, and parts of newer
implementations of RPC, I have been unable to find the original source
code anywhere. I have done numerous web-searches, and come up with
lots of irrelevant gorp.
Could someone point me to an archive with these sources? I would find it
interesting to see how things were done in the "old days," as well as
looking at the whole suite in one package.
For that matter, if someone can point me towards a complete distribution
of RPC code; old or new (secure RPC is also an interest), I would be
grateful.

thanks in advance;

-Lupo

J. Richard Sladkey

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Using http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ftpsearch/:

FTP search results

This server is located in Trondheim, Norway.

"Case insensitive substring search" for "sunrpc4"

1 -rwxr--r-- 846.3K 1992 Jul 19 ftp.maths.su.oz.au /mirror/ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl:pub:apollo/tcp/sunrpc4.0.zip
2 -rw-r--r-- 846.3K 1996 Jul 4 ftp.dst.unipi.it /pub/unix/apollo/sunrpc4.0.zip
3 -r--r--r-- 530.7K 1991 Mar 14 ftp.interworks.org /pub/comp.domain/sunrpc4.0_tar.Z
4 -rw-rw-r-- 547.7K 1993 Nov 30 ftp.cse.psu.edu /pub/src/sunrpc4.0.tar.gz

4 reported hits
1.258 seconds prospero
1.259 seconds HTTP
0 partial writes.
DONE

A similar search for sunrpc3 yield some older versions and a search
for tirpcsrc finds lots of hits for the last free Sun release.

Michael R. Eisler

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/rpc has
netwise_tirpc_qs.tar.Z 28-Sep-95 00:00 1.8M
rpcsrc_40.tar.Z 22-Mar-94 00:00 423K
rpcsrc_doc.ps.Z 23-Jun-95 00:00 222K
tirpcsrc1.0.tar.Z 22-Mar-94 00:00 1.1M
tirpcsrc2.0.tar.Z 22-Mar-94 00:00 1.3M
tirpcsrc2.3.tar.Z 02-Sep-94 00:00 1.4M

The "original" rpcsrc release (over 10 years old) is no longer available,
and I doubt you'd want it.
--
-Mike Eisler NFS group
m...@Eng.Sun.Com SunSoft

NobleNet Inc.

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <5b8rf7$l...@xanadu.io.com>, Lupo LeBoucher <i...@io.com> wrote:

>I've been reading the book "Power Programming with RPC" (O'Reilly, c'est
>evident) & trying to learn something about RPC. According to this book and
>other sources, Sun's source code for RPC has been public domain since
>1985. While I am able to find bits and pieces of it, and parts of newer
>implementations of RPC, I have been unable to find the original source
>code anywhere. I have done numerous web-searches, and come up with
>lots of irrelevant gorp.
>Could someone point me to an archive with these sources? I would find it
>interesting to see how things were done in the "old days," as well as
>looking at the whole suite in one package.
>For that matter, if someone can point me towards a complete distribution
>of RPC code; old or new (secure RPC is also an interest), I would be
>grateful.

Please contact NobleNet for ONC/RPC tools and solutions for UNIX,
Windows (3.1/95/NT), Macintosh, VMS, OS/2, NetWare, VxWorks, etc.

NobleNet, Inc.
337 Turnpike Road
Southboro, MA 01772
Voice +1 508 460 8222
Fax +1 508 460 3456
<sa...@noblenet.com>
<http://www.noblenet.com/>

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

For Further Information, Please Contact:

David Burns
Vice President of Marketing
NobleNet, Inc.
Voice: (508) 460-8222
FAX: (508) 460-3456
e-mail: david...@noblenet.com

"The Client/Server Toolkit for C and C++ Programmers"
New Book From NobleNet Turns Programmers Into Client/Server Experts

New York, October 8, 1996 -- NobleNet, Inc. today announced the availability
of its newly published book that turns C and C++ programmers into
client/server experts. Co-authored by middleware experts Steven Lemmo and
Rich Grehan, The Client/Server Toolkit for C and C++ Programmers is a self-
contained instructional tool that teaches programmers how to distribute any
application or Application Programming Interface (API) across a network.

The CD-ROM software included with The Client/Server Toolkit features a unique
Windows-based client/server simulator that lets programmers gain hands-on
experience in client/server partitioning. Programmers are guided through four
"real-world" client/server projects: distributed ODBC database, scanner
device, image engine, and datafeed. The authors expertise combined with a
Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment, demystifies the art of
distributing complex applications.

"I learned more about client/server development in the last three days of
reading your book than I learned in the past few years of doing C and C++
programming," said Pascal Specht, Technical Sales Engineer at Precision
Software in Paris, France.

"Our new book will help any C or C++ programmer that wants to learn about
state-of-the-art client/server computing," said Steve Lemmo, co-author and
Chief Technology Officer of NobleNet. "The techniques taught in the book will
help programmers learn to use the powerful Interface Definition Languages
(IDLs) found in today's most popular distributed computing middleware."
Beginning with a monolithic application, readers learn how to separate
programs into independent parts that communicate with each other. While other
books on client/server computing include sample code, The Client/Server
Toolkit goes further and delivers a true client/server Software Development
Toolkit (SDK) designed for application partitioning. Unlike other approaches,
programmers learn to build client/server applications using industry-standard
RPC technology that requires no source code changes.

"The Client/Server Toolkit is ideal for programmers that want to get a quick
immersion into client/server computing with tools that require very little
effort to learn," said Vincent Russo, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
at Purdue University. "I like the fact that the book is totally self-
contained. It has a wealth of real-world examples that provide the reader
with a thorough understanding of client/server development. And the simulator
gives programmers hands-on experience with building and running real
client/server applications."

Although The Client/Server Toolkit is written for C and C++ programmers,
examples are given that show "drag and drop" programmers how to create
client/server applications utilizing popular GUI front-ends such as Visual
Basic, PowerBuilder, Delphi, and Developer 2000. Distributed with the book is
a free version of NobleNet's powerful standards-based RPC product used by
client/server developers world-wide. Programmers are presented with client
and server Windows connected by a simulated network. Using NobleNet RPC,
applications developed on the simulator are easily deployed to over 40
platforms including 26 UNIXes, Windows 3.1, 95, and NT, NetWare, Macintosh,
OS/2, and VMS. More than 20 Windows-based TCP/IP stacks are supported to
ensure operation in existing multi-vendor environments.

Co-author Steven Lemmo founded NobleNet, engineered NobleNet's first software
product, EZ-RPC(R), and led the team that developed the company's NetWare and
Windows-based middleware tools. With an in-depth understanding of both
communication and application software, he is a sought after consultant on RPC
programming. Steve has over fifteen years of experience in software
engineering and tools development in companies such as Computervision Corp.,
Sun Microsystems, Inc., and Xerox Imaging Systems, Inc. He is widely
recognized as an expert on distributed computing and is frequently called upon
to appear at industry forums.

Co-author Rick Grehan has been on the editorial staff of BYTE Magazine for
over 11 years. He is currently the Technical Director of BYTE Labs and the
author of BYTE's monthly CodeTalk column. His articles have appeared in BYTE,
Embedded Systems Programming, and Forth Dimensions. In addition, he was a
contributor to the 1993 edition of The Encyclopedia of Microcomputers,
published by Marcel Dekker, Inc. Rick is also the designer of BYTE Magazine's
BYTEmark benchmark suite.

The Client/Server Toolkit for C and C++ Programmers is published by NobleNet.
The 350 page book with CD-ROM can be ordered for $49.95 by calling (800)-250-
6427 or (508)-893-0398.

NobleNet offers tools for distributed client/server development for procedural
and object paradigms. Incorporated in 1991, NobleNet is a world leader in
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) technology and has won numerous awards for its RPC
product family. NobleNet also distributes IONA Technologies' industry-
leading "Orbix" CORBA-compliant Object Request Broker. The company is
headquartered in Southboro, MA, and can be reached at (508) 460-8222 or at
<http://www.noblenet.com/>.

Steve Nahm

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

In article <5b8rf7$l...@xanadu.io.com>, Lupo LeBoucher <i...@io.com> wrote:

>While I am able to find bits and pieces of it, and parts of newer
>implementations of RPC, I have been unable to find the original source
>code anywhere. I have done numerous web-searches, and come up with
>lots of irrelevant gorp.
>Could someone point me to an archive with these sources? I would find it
>interesting to see how things were done in the "old days," as well as
>looking at the whole suite in one package.
>For that matter, if someone can point me towards a complete distribution
>of RPC code; old or new (secure RPC is also an interest), I would be
>grateful.

You can find all of the recent releases by anonymous ftp on:

playground.sun.com:/pub/rpc
rpcsrc_40.tar.Z - sockets-based RPC, based on SunOS 4.0
tirpcsrc1.0.tar.Z - TLI based RPC, based on SVR4, for SunOS 4.1
tirpcsrc2.0.tar.Z - TLI based RPC, based on Solaris 2.0
tirpcsrc2.3.tar.Z - TLI based RPC, based on Solaris 2.3

--
Steve Nahm s...@sun.com