realloc() crash

redo...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2007, 4:29:12 PM10/10/07
I am still new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance. I am
running an application that uses Motif 1.2.4 on a Solaris 10 machine.
I am using a list and when I delete the last item of a list or the
whole list I receive this error:

Error: Cannot perform realloc

I have tried to increase the swap size to 7GB with no luck. I am not
really sure what else to try, If anyone can help it would be much
appreciated.

James Carlson

Oct 11, 2007, 8:05:30 AM10/11/07

That sounds to me much more like memory corruption than like a lack of
memory. At a guess, I think your application is probably writing to
freed buffers.

I'd suggest running the program with libumem and debugging enabled.
See the umem_debug(3MALLOC) man page for details, but here's a
possibly useful starting point (assuming a 32-bit application):

env UMEM_DEBUG=default UMEM_LOGGING=transaction,contents \
LD_PRELOAD=libumem.so.1 yourapplication "yourarguments"

... where "yourapplication" is the name of your application, and
"yourarguments" are whatever arguments you supply for that
application.

Don't forget to enable core dumps, if you have those disabled. See
mdb(1) for one useful way to explore them.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking <james.d...@sun.com>
Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084

redo...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2007, 11:22:55 AM10/22/07

I appreciate the suggestion but found out that all of our issues
could be solved by using the default tools that come with Solaris
2.6.
Moving to this actually solved more problems instead of causing them
like I thought they would, considering what I am building against.
Thanks again.