Mounting USB device on Solaris 9 (X86)

BertieB...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2008, 7:16:00 AM1/29/08
I've got one USB key that works fine... (its a Verbatim Store N Go)

All I do is mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p0:c /mnt and it works.

However. if I swap it with another USB key I've got and do the same
command it seems to totally hang the mount command. I can even kill -9
from another shell. All I can do is reboot.

If I run cfgadm -vl when this second key is connected it tells me its
recognised but the type is generic.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

BTW. Tried to see if vold would automount - it doesnt work for either.

Geoff Lane

Jan 29, 2008, 12:44:33 PM1/29/08
BertieB...@gmail.com <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got one USB key that works fine... (its a Verbatim Store N Go)
>
> All I do is mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p0:c /mnt and it works.
>
> However. if I swap it with another USB key I've got and do the same
> command it seems to totally hang the mount command. I can even kill -9
> from another shell. All I can do is reboot.

It's probably the block-size bug. If your device uses 2Kb blocks, the
system can't deal with it.

> Any ideas on how to get this working?

Install mtools then you can at least deal with the device manually.

> BTW. Tried to see if vold would automount - it doesnt work for either.

OpenSolaris does a much better job with USB devices.

BertieB...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2008, 6:01:42 AM1/31/08
On Jan 29, 5:44 pm, Geoff Lane <zzas...@buffy.sighup.org.uk> wrote:

> BertieBigBol...@gmail.com <BertieBigBol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've got one USB key that works fine... (its a Verbatim Store N Go)
>
> > All I do is mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p0:c /mnt and it works.
>
> > However. if I swap it with another USB key I've got and do the same
> > command it seems to totally hang the mount command. I can even kill -9
> > from another shell. All I can do is reboot.
>
> It's probably the block-size bug.  If your device uses 2Kb blocks, the
> system can't deal with it.

block size bug?

> Install mtools then you can at least deal with the device manually.

Never heard of but I'll have a look for this...

maxodyne

Feb 7, 2008, 2:20:24 AM2/7/08

Hmmm, I'm just now playing around with this concept on a Solaris 10
SPARC box. I've never before mounted a USB storage "jump drive" type of
device until now; mine is a cute chrome-plated fold-uppable Lexar 1gb or
so device. How best to do this "on the fly", without editing vfstab
ahead of time?

Let's say I always want this USB file storage device to auto-mount, when
I plug it into the USB receptacle on my Ultra 45, at:

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s7 [some mount point]

on the fly without editing vfstab, so that when I plug the device in,
its filesystem is automatically mounted and its files are readily available?

Or do I need to edit vfstab first?

Jean-Pierre Vial

Feb 7, 2008, 9:54:06 AM2/7/08
on Solaris8 (ultrasparc) I use a small shell-script

#!/usr/bin/sh
sudo cfgadm
sudo pkill -HUP vold

this must be run after the usb-key has been plugged in
it may take a few seconds before it is effective.

umount the key after use; maybe it is not mandatory, but it
is safer.

erik magnuson

Feb 8, 2008, 11:50:09 PM2/8/08
maxodyne wrote:

> Hmmm, I'm just now playing around with this concept on a Solaris 10
> SPARC box. I've never before mounted a USB storage "jump drive" type of
> device until now; mine is a cute chrome-plated fold-uppable Lexar 1gb or
> so device. How best to do this "on the fly", without editing vfstab
> ahead of time?
>
> Let's say I always want this USB file storage device to auto-mount, when
> I plug it into the USB receptacle on my Ultra 45, at:
>
> /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s7 [some mount point]
>
> on the fly without editing vfstab, so that when I plug the device in,
> its filesystem is automatically mounted and its files are readily
> available?
>
> Or do I need to edit vfstab first?

On Solaris 10u1 and later, vold will automatically mount the drive under
/rmdisk , with the name of the subdirectory depending on whether the
device has a label or not (label as in MS-DOS disk label for FAT
formatted media). Been working fine on my SB1500 since it was upgraded
to S10u1 (and it has been upgraded a couple of times more).

I have noticed that Solaris (both Sparc and x86) is more finicky about
USB devices than Windoze.

- Erik