df command

hoec...@my-deja.com

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Users get the following error when doing a "df -k ." in 1 specific
directory. The command works fine for root.

df: cannot canonicalize .: Permission denied

Has anyone seen this error and know what it means/how to fix.

I went to sunsolve, but I can not find any info.

Thankyou

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Chris Thompson

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
In article <8up730$3sd$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <hoec...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Users get the following error when doing a "df -k ." in 1 specific
>directory. The command works fine for root.
>
>df: cannot canonicalize .: Permission denied
>
>Has anyone seen this error and know what it means/how to fix.

This happens if realpath(3c) fails when applied to ".". You should also
find that /bin/pwd gives the message

pwd: cannot determine current directory!

in the same circumstances.

Probably one of the directories on the path up to the root directory is
not searchable or not readable by the users in question. Try going

ls -ld .
ls -ld ..
ls -ld ../..
ls -ld ../../..

etc., and see when and if it fails.

If you find that you can't lookup ".." in a directory even though the
permissions suggest to you that you ought to be able to, check whether
it is a mount point whose *underlyling* directory has more restrictive
permissions.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
"ls -dl ." and check the permissions, that is where your problem lies.

hoec...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Users get the following error when doing a "df -k ." in 1 specific
> directory. The command works fine for root.

> df: cannot canonicalize .: Permission denied

> Has anyone seen this error and know what it means/how to fix.

> I went to sunsolve, but I can not find any info.

> Thankyou

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hogan Whittall
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
9/26/98 that any UCE sent to my email address will be billed $50
per incident to the legally allowed maximum of $25,000.

hoec...@my-deja.com

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
I figured it out. Thankyou for the help. I had removed the group
that the directory belonged, that the filesystem was mounted. I
unmounted the file system changed the group and re-mounted.

In article <8up730$3sd$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,