NFS getattr failed: error 5 (RPC: Timed out)

phil.go...@bolthole.com

May 11, 2007, 6:03:54 PM5/11/07
I'm having odd problems with a solaris 10 client, talking to a solaris
9 NFS server.
every so often, access to an NFS server will have problems, with

NFS getattr failed for server nfs-fs2: error 5 (RPC: Timed out)

Usually, this happens at a time when I decide to do something heavy,
like start up firefox from the read-only nfs mounted filesystem.
I've also had a co-worker complain that he was seeing these errors
sometimes, to our home filesystem nfs server.. but only AFTER
upgrading from solaris 9, to solaris 10.

The problem then exhibits itself, as not being able to have any
further working NFS access to that server, for the 2 or 3 mounts from
it, for a good long time.

I'm baffled as to how to troubleshoot this further.
I have tried:

1. "showmount -e nfs_server" to the server; it works.

2. ls /nfs/filesystem from a DIFFRERENT client (which is sol9 btw). no
problems. So the server itself appears to be still functioning

3. ls on the "bad" client, to a DIFFERENT nfs server, functions fine.

This sort of thing appears to be sporadic. I can go for days without
problems.. and then hit a bad window.

It kinda feels like a network problem... except that as mentioned, I
CAN talk to other systems during that time. plus "netstat -I bge0"
only shows a very small amount of errors.

Any suggestions?

Casper H.S. Dik

May 12, 2007, 11:55:03 AM5/12/07
"phil.go...@bolthole.com" <phil.go...@bolthole.com> writes:

>I'm having odd problems with a solaris 10 client, talking to a solaris
>9 NFS server.
>every so often, access to an NFS server will have problems, with

> NFS getattr failed for server nfs-fs2: error 5 (RPC: Timed out)

Are you using "soft" mounts?

If yes, then that is your problem.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.