Unable to mount CDROM

jspot...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2005, 9:42:43 PM7/25/05
Well I've done it.
As part of a Solaris 9 minimization activity, I have somehow managed to
minimize out the ability to mount the CDROM. This would not pose much
of a problem except that I can't use the CDROM to reinstall the system
and start over.

When a CDROM is in the drive and the system is rebooted I get the
following error out to the screen continuously:
Jul 25 16:48:11 n1 genunix: WARNING: Device sd30 failed to power up.
Jul 25 16:48:11 n1 genunix: WARNING: Please see your system
administrator or reboot.

The command "eject -n lists" yields:
fd -> floppy0
fd0 -> floppy0
fd1 -> floppy1
diskette -> floppy0
diskette0 -> floppy0
diskette1 -> floppy1
rdiskette -> floppy0
rdiskette0 -> floppy0
rdiskette1 -> floppy1
cd -> cdrom0
cd0 -> cdrom0
cd1 -> cdrom1
sr -> cdrom0
sr0 -> cdrom0
/dev/sr0 -> cdrom0
/dev/rsr0 -> cdrom0

Bringing the system to run level 0, and issuing the probe-scsi-all
command at the OK prompt yeilds:
/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8,1
Target 0
Unit 0 Disk SUN StorEdge 3310 0325
Target 1
Unit 0 Disk SUN StorEdge 3310 0325

/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8
Target 0
Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST336605LSUN36G 0238

Stopping volume management and forcing the cdrom to be mounted fails
(yes I create the /cdrom directory before attempting the mount
operation).

So does anyone have any ideas on how recover from this and be able to
the CDROM functioning again so that I can reinstall the system and
attempt the minimization procedure again.

Thanks,
J.

James Carlson

Jul 26, 2005, 9:30:36 AM7/26/05
jspot...@gmail.com writes:
> So does anyone have any ideas on how recover from this and be able to
> the CDROM functioning again so that I can reinstall the system and
> attempt the minimization procedure again.

Not sure what the above problem is (it doesn't look minimization
related to me, but I could be wrong), but if all you're going to do is
reinstall rather than attempt to repair it, why not just do "boot
cdrom" from the OBP ("run level 0")?

That doesn't use _any_ of the packages from the system, so no matter
how messed up the installed packages might be, that'll work *IF* the
drive and the CD-ROM work.

(And if it doesn't work, then something is wrong with the drive itself
or the CD-ROM isn't readable.)

--
James Carlson, KISS Network <james.d...@sun.com>