Well this group is trashed... is there another one?

Tobiah

Apr 4, 2017, 4:37:50 PM4/4/17
Are people actually discussing shell in a usable place now?

Thanks.

Helmut Waitzmann

Apr 4, 2017, 9:44:33 PM4/4/17
Tobiah <to...@tobiah.org>:

> Are people actually discussing shell in a usable place now?

I use a kill file to have postings from

<stevecar...@gmail.com>
<frelw...@gmail.com>
<tmelm...@gmail.com>
<jonaseklu...@gmail.com>

automatically marked as read, keeping this newsgroup usable for
me.

Kenny McCormack

Apr 4, 2017, 9:47:09 PM4/4/17
In article <87o9wbs...@helmutwaitzmann.news.arcor.de>,
The problem is that lots of people (try to) access and contribute to these
newsgroups using something called "Google Groups" and they don't have
killfile capability. And it is certainly true that without access to the
killfile capability, these groups would become unusable.

--
I am not a troll.
Rick C. Hodgin

Kaz Kylheku

Apr 4, 2017, 11:05:15 PM4/4/17
I used the Injection-Info header from Google Groups.

Example .slrn-scores rule:

[*]
Score: =-9999
%Expires:
% Subject: Re: Can you make living with Linux\?
% From: Jonas Eklundh <jonaseklundhsandman@gmail\.com>
%EOS

The [*] means it applies to all newsgroups, I think.

All % lines are just comments; the only filter rule is
the Injection-Info: one.

Auric__

Apr 5, 2017, 3:41:15 AM4/5/17
Tobiah wrote:

> Are people actually discussing shell in a usable place now?

Looks pretty usable to me. The killfile works wonders.

--
I never said they were thinking straight.

Janis Papanagnou

Apr 5, 2017, 11:17:59 AM4/5/17
On 04.04.2017 22:37, Tobiah wrote:
> Are people actually discussing shell in a usable place now?

You've already got the suggestion to use killfiles. And since
you seem to be using Thunderbird as posting client you can
define "Message Filters" for that purpose. With only a few
entries in your filter list you'll see that this group is very
"usable". WRT another "usable place" you may want to inspect
the stackoverflow Web-forum.

Janis

Auric__

Apr 6, 2017, 4:07:21 AM4/6/17
Yeah, but Tobiah is using AOIE, a "normal" news server, with Thunderbird as
his reader. Killfiles should work for him, at least.

As for Google Groupies, I have a rather low opinion of most of them. Modern-
day AOLers. It's the September That Never Ended, Part II.

--
The ghosts here are very lively and I want out.

Kenny McCormack

Apr 6, 2017, 4:22:05 AM4/6/17
In article <XnsA74FB6D2B46Dau...@213.239.209.88>,
Auric__ <not.m...@email.address> wrote:
>Yeah, but Tobiah is using AOIE, a "normal" news server, with Thunderbird as
>his reader. Killfiles should work for him, at least.

Good point.

>As for Google Groupies, I have a rather low opinion of most of them. Modern-
>day AOLers. It's the September That Never Ended, Part II.

Good point.

>--
>The ghosts here are very lively and I want out.

Cute. To what does it refer?

--
The only thing Trump's made great again is Saturday Night Live.

Auric__

Apr 6, 2017, 4:21:19 PM4/6/17
Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <XnsA74FB6D2B46Dau...@213.239.209.88>,
> Auric__ <not.m...@email.address> wrote:
>
>>The ghosts here are very lively and I want out.
>
> Cute. To what does it refer?

It's from The Tommyknockers, by Stephen King. (The novel, not the made-for-tv
movie.) No context due to serious spoilers.

--
Under what theory are the competent obliged to help the incompetent?

Tobiah

Apr 10, 2017, 10:51:49 AM4/10/17
Quite an improvement. Thanks.