remote job not finishing

Russ P.

Dec 17, 2016, 12:23:46 AM12/17/16
I wrote a Scala program to develop and test a concept in air traffic control. It is a fast-time simulation that does lots of number crunching (with parallel processing), then it generates hundreds of plots at the end. A large run can take several hours. I can run it on my Linux desktop machine at work or my Linux portable at home (Ubuntu), and it runs to completion. However, when I tunnel in to my work machine from home and try to run it remotely, it almost never finishes. It does not even get to the part where it generates the plots. This is annoying because I would like to be able to run it on my work machine to avoid bogging down my home machine while I am using it. I am using bash with ssh on Comcast Xfinity. When the program ends early, my Internet connection is usually still good as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing my program to terminate early or how to diagnose it? Thanks.

Dan Espen

Dec 17, 2016, 1:04:40 AM12/17/16
Use nohup in front of the command.

--
Dan Espen

Russ P.

Dec 17, 2016, 2:15:39 PM12/17/16
That worked. Thanks!

Barry Margolin

Dec 17, 2016, 10:28:54 PM12/17/16
In article <f319b075-ee10-44ac...@googlegroups.com>,
Use GNU screen or tmux so you can disconnect and leave it running, then
later reconnect to it to see the result.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Dan Espen

Dec 18, 2016, 9:58:52 AM12/18/16
These are good, or perhaps superior suggestions vs. nohup.
I've heard of both but never used them.
I sort of suspected screen would be already present on
my Fedora system, but neither tmux nor screen was there.

So, the difference is tmux and screen allow for a reconnect
whereas, with nohup you can look in nohup.out to see progress
or results.

--
Dan Espen

Russ P.

Dec 18, 2016, 4:44:02 PM12/18/16
Yeah, tmux and GNU screen are probably really knifty, and I should try one of them, but they are overkill for my current needs, and they don't seem to be installed on my Ubuntu Linux machine. They are probably easy to install, but I don't recall how to do it off hand. I may google it after an appropriate period of procrastination.