installation path

Sharan Basappa

May 15, 2018, 10:35:29 PM5/15/18
Hi All,

where are the binaries for software typically installed in Linux?
we have installed Anaconda python distribution. The path for installation is /tools/anaconda

When I check its path (which python), it shows /usr/bin path. Is it possible that there is already a python installed or a soft link is added to /usr/bin for python to /tools/anaconda?

Also, in case there are multiple binaries, how can I make Linux pick up the binary from /tools/anaconda rather than /usr/bin. Do I need to do alias python to /tools/anaconda?

Janis Papanagnou

May 16, 2018, 12:42:12 AM5/16/18
On 16.05.2018 04:35, Sharan Basappa wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> where are the binaries for software typically installed in Linux? we have
> installed Anaconda python distribution. The path for installation is
> /tools/anaconda

Directory /tools is non-standard. (My Linux doesn't even have it.)

> When I check its path (which python), it shows /usr/bin path. Is it
> possible that there is already a python installed or a soft link is added
> to /usr/bin for python to /tools/anaconda?

/usr/bin (or /bin), for example, are standard directories for binaries.

It is possible to create links, but I don't think it's advisable to do so.
If you install new versions of software with your standard update process
your links will be overwritten.

Usually own versions are installed in the directory /usr/local/bin. (Here,
if desired, you could also create a link to your tools directory.)

> Also, in case there are multiple binaries, how can I make Linux pick up the
> binary from /tools/anaconda rather than /usr/bin. Do I need to do alias
> python to /tools/anaconda?

The PATH environment variable controls which path is searched first for a
call. While it is possible to litter the PATH with other directories (like
your /tools directory) it is in my experience better to have it terse. If
you put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin the files in the former directory
will be picked first. For example

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:.

Janis

Jorgen Grahn

May 16, 2018, 1:44:45 AM5/16/18
On Wed, 2018-05-16, Sharan Basappa wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> where are the binaries for software typically installed in Linux?
> we have installed Anaconda python distribution. The path for
> installation is /tools/anaconda

This doesn't help, but: https://xkcd.com/1987/

I'd try hard not to end up in that situation, because (as you have
discovered) it's a lot of work, compared to only installing things via
your Linux distribution's package manager. But a quick look indicates
that's how it has to work if you need to use Anaconda.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Lew Pitcher

May 16, 2018, 10:45:52 AM5/16/18
Sharan Basappa wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> where are the binaries for software typically installed in Linux?

For binaries supplied by the distribution
/usr/bin most programs executed by normal users go here
/usr/sbin system admin binaries that are not required for boot
/bin user binaries for single-user-mode or system repair
/sbin system admin binaries that are required for boot

For binaries compiled locally from source
/usr/local/bin binaries for unprivileged users
/usr/local/sbin binaries for privileged users

For third-party packages
/opt/<packagename>

[snip]

--