*** How to change Hard Limit / Open file descriptors LIVE in Solaris 10

underh20

Feb 3, 2010, 12:26:30 PM2/3/10

Our server is running Solaris 10. We are in the processing of
upgrading to Oracle 11G. An issue has come up regarding the hard
limit (see below). The server has hard limit set to 65535
and Oracle needs 65536. Is there any way, i.e., without reboot of
server, to increase this
value for the Oracle user during installation ?

Oracle installer is looking at Hard Limit:Open file descriptors
Expected Value:65536
Actual Value:65535

Thanks,

Bill

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

Feb 3, 2010, 1:38:39 PM2/3/10
In comp.unix.solaris underh20 <underh20.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our server is running Solaris 10. We are in the processing of
> upgrading to Oracle 11G. An issue has come up regarding the hard
> limit (see below). The server has hard limit set to 65535
> and Oracle needs 65536. Is there any way, i.e., without reboot of
> server, to increase this
> value for the Oracle user during installation ?

First, check to see whether any of your login scripts are setting a limit.
A simple "unlimit descriptors" at the shell prompt on my machine (I use
tcsh) raises my descriptor limit to 65536.

Otherwise, try using /etc/project to raise the ou'll want to employ /etc/project and raise the value for your oracle
user. It's just like raising the max-shm-memory limit:

% grep oracle /etc/project
user.oracle:100:Oracle 11g:::process.max-file-descriptor=(privileged,128000,deny)

You'll have to log out and back in to get the new limit.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Frank Langelage

Feb 3, 2010, 1:41:58 PM2/3/10

I installed 11gR2 some time ago on my Solaris 10 workstation.
It complained that a prerequisite was not fulfilled, I can't remember
what it was exactly.
But I could ignore this warning and do the installation.
The difference of this 1 file descriptor can safely be ignored in my
opinion.