AIX 6100-00-01 DVD 9411 + 20EE000B on p630 (7028-6C4)

schnupfy

May 16, 2010, 6:12:34 PM5/16/10
Hi there,

I am trying to install AIX 6.1 on a 7028-6C4 via DVD. But everytime I
boot from the media, I get a 9411 on the LED Display and a 20EE000B on
the screen.
When I have the machine up with AIX 5.3 I am able to read the DVD so
it does not seem to be a problem with the DVD Drive or the media. Also
checked that the latest firmware is installed: 3R080425.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Frank Fegert

May 17, 2010, 2:50:45 AM5/17/10
Hello,

On 2010-05-16, schnupfy <mar...@schnupfnase.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install AIX 6.1 on a 7028-6C4 via DVD. But everytime I
> boot from the media, I get a 9411 on the LED Display and a 20EE000B on
> the screen.

according to the reference code list (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/ipha6_p5/refcodelist.htm) this means:
"The system was not able to find an operating system on the devices in
the boot list.
Verify that the boot list contains at least one device with a valid
operating system boot image."

Could you verify that the DVD drive firmware is at the latest level?
Do you have a NIM server you can boot from? If there's no other pSeries
around you could try and setup a NIM on linux.

Best regards,

Frank

schnupfy

May 17, 2010, 9:41:25 PM5/17/10
On May 17, 6:50 pm, Frank Fegert <fra.nospam...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2010-05-16, schnupfy <mar...@schnupfnase.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install AIX 6.1 on a 7028-6C4 via DVD. But everytime I
> > boot from the media, I get a 9411 on the LED Display and a 20EE000B on
> > the screen.
>
> according to the reference code list (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/ipha6_...) this means:

>   "The system was not able to find an operating system on the devices in
>    the boot list.
>    Verify that the boot list contains at least one device with a valid
>    operating system boot image."
>
> Could you verify that the DVD drive firmware is at the latest level?
> Do you have a NIM server you can boot from? If there's no other pSeries
> around you could try and setup a NIM on linux.
>
> Best regards,
>
>     Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I have only 2 p630
sitting at 5.3. NIM won't work properly, as I am not able to build a
decent SPOT for AIX 6.1. I also tried NIMOL but the install hangs
after the client pulls the nim config file from the Linux box.

As the 630 only had a CDROM drive, I inserted one from a Desktop that
was idling around here. That was my guess too that the service
processor doesn't support reading from a DVD via the inserted IDE
DVDROM. Only got the AIX 6.1 DVD not a CD set.

Cheers,
Marcus

Tony

May 18, 2010, 3:14:47 AM5/18/10
In comp.unix.aix, schnupfy <mar...@schnupfnase.com> wrote:

>sitting at 5.3. NIM won't work properly, as I am not able to build a
>decent SPOT for AIX 6.1.

You need a 6.1 box with NIM to build a NIM 6.1 SPOT (catch-22).
--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993

schnupfy

May 18, 2010, 4:41:34 PM5/18/10

Tony,

very good observation and thanks for your valuable input.