locus-map? what is this?

R Bradley

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

We have a relatively new installation of 4.1.x here and are
noticing a service running that we have no idea what it's doing.
We're running a firewall (and this machine is outside of it), and
this service repeatedly attempts to send packets through it.

Can anyone tell me what this service is/does?

Here are the appropriate lines from /etc/services:

locus-map 125/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server
locus-map 125/udp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server
locus-con 127/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server
locus-con 127/udp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server

And here are the related lines from `netstat -f inet`:

udp 0 0 loopback.locus-ma *.*
udp 0 0 ###.##.###.###.locus-m *.*
udp 0 0 ##.#.###.###.locus-ma *.*
udp 0 0 loopback.locus-co *.*
udp 0 0 bob.locus-co *.*
udp 0 0 john.locus-co *.*

'bob' and 'john' are two different names for this machine. The '###'
stuff is me blocking out IP addresses.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rick Bradley

peter hakanson

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

Generally speaking,
when installing a machine in hostile environment
REMOVE ALL services not explicitly needed!

If you don't know what "locus-map" does i se no
reason at all to keep it!

Also clean /etc/inetd.conf for anything you don't
know what it is! You can always restart needed stuff later
but you may not be able to recover a breakin!

If you have any trouble doing this, consult a "guru" it
may be payed off!

Regards
Peter h
R Bradley (ri...@rentec.com) wrote:

: We have a relatively new installation of 4.1.x here and are

<peter....@cyklop.volvo.se> (remove ".devnull" before use!)
Peter Hakanson VolvoData Dep 2580 phone +46 31 66 74 27

Mark J Hewitt

May 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/1/97

R Bradley posted 29 lines in <5k515j$i...@puma.rentec.com> that included:

>locus-map 125/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server
>locus-map 125/udp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server
>locus-con 127/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server
>locus-con 127/udp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server
>
>And here are the related lines from `netstat -f inet`:
>
>udp 0 0 loopback.locus-ma *.*
>udp 0 0 ###.##.###.###.locus-m *.*
>udp 0 0 ##.#.###.###.locus-ma *.*
>udp 0 0 loopback.locus-co *.*
>udp 0 0 bob.locus-co *.*
>udp 0 0 john.locus-co *.*

Locus Computing Corporation (now owned by Platinum - who isn't?)
produce(d) a UNIX to PC disk sharing suite called PC Interface (PCI). It
is functionally similar to (PC)NFS where the clients are PCs. The map
server essentially maintains the available shared disk areas and machines -
like a browser, and the conn server allows the PC clients to connect to an
exported partition. I seem to recall (I used to work for Locus), IBM
bundles the server side components, but you still have to license the PC
clients.

Does this help?
--
Mark J. Hewitt at home m...@elsabio.demon.co.uk

Howard Chu

May 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/1/97

In article <5k515j$i...@puma.rentec.com>, R Bradley <ri...@rentec.com> wrote:
>We have a relatively new installation of 4.1.x here and are
>noticing a service running that we have no idea what it's doing.
>We're running a firewall (and this machine is outside of it), and
>this service repeatedly attempts to send packets through it.

>Can anyone tell me what this service is/does?

>Here are the appropriate lines from /etc/services:

>locus-map 125/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server

>locus-map 125/udp # Locus PC-Interface Net Map Server
>locus-con 127/tcp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server
>locus-con 127/udp # Locus PC-Interface Conn Server

Sure. Both of those ports (UDP only) are used by the PC-Interface server,
which provides file & print service to PCs running the PC-Interface
(or PC-Enterprise) client. We don't use the TCP ports for anything, as
you've already noticed. If these UDP ports are active on your machine,
that means you are running a pciconsvr.ip and a pcimapsvr.ip. Either
you are using PC-Enterprise, or you're using AADU, which is an old
release of PC-Interface that is bundled with all AIX systems.

Trying to keep terminology straight - PC-Interface is the original name
of the product. AIX Access For DOS Users (AADU) is the name that IBM uses
for its bundled release of PC-Interface. PC-Enterprise is the new name,
introduced when Windows'95 support was added. Locus Computing is the name
of the company that originally created PC-Interface. This company was
acquired by PLATINUM technology Inc. last year, so "Locus PC-Interface"
is now "PLATINUM PC-Enterprise." (For you history buffs, Locus is also
the place that created AIX 1 for IBM PS/2s, oh so long ago...)
--
Howard Chu Principal Member of Technical Staff
h...@locus.com PLATINUM technology, Los Angeles Lab