NIM lpp_source creation by nim support mutiple cd ?

cla...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2008, 8:28:04 PM10/16/08
Hello,
I tried to create a NIM lpp_source of AIX 6.1 (2 DVDs) by nim command,
I copied cd 1 with the following command,

# nim -o define -t lpp_source -a server=master -a location=/directory/
lpp6100 -a source=/dev/cd0 lpp6100

after it's finished, I tried to copied cd 2 with the same command and
it showed

0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master":
0042-081 m_mk_lpp_source: a resource already exists on "master" at
location "/directory/lpp6100"; due to NFS export restrictions, the
new location "/direcotry/lpp6100" may not be used

I know could also use bffcreate , and it prompt me to insert cd 1 , I
guess I could run bffcreate and just overwrite the directory with cd 1
and then put cd 2. My question is if "nim -o define -t lpp_source "
support multiple CD ?

thanks

Hajo Ehlers

Oct 17, 2008, 4:12:32 AM10/17/08

I can not answer your last question but i would delete the
lpp_source , recreate the lpp_source with gencopy and then create/
update the nim object. In my experience doing to many task at once
with a nim command cause normaly more problems then it really saves
time.

ymmv
Hajo

Uwe Auer

Oct 18, 2008, 11:09:07 AM10/18/08
cla...@gmail.com schrieb:
Hi,

please keep in mind: Even if there is a command to process multiple
volumes, you will not get what I suppose you expect to get. Creating a
NIM lpp_source with NIM commands does *not* copy complete CD/DVD into
your lpp_source but does copy some default selection of filesets into
the lpp_source. If you want to achieve, that all filesets will reside in
the lpp_source you need to use the "update" operation on the lpp_source
object using "all" fileset selection.

Regards,
Uwe Auer

Wylie Coyote

Oct 19, 2008, 7:43:38 AM10/19/08

To OP - sorry to pile on :-) but I think what NIM is trying to tell you
(and it relateds to what Uwe just said) is that, even though you think
you're working with the same lpp_source, the second time you used the
command caused NIM to think you're actually creating a second
lpp_source, and therefore the name (i.e., which I believe is also the
subdirectory name) must be different.

I believe what you need to do is find the option/flag to process
multiple DVDs/CD/whatever when creating the lpp_source. You might want
to consider using smit(ty) which may allow processing multiple DVDs/CDs
when creating an lpp_source (don't have a system handy, so I can't
verify). Short of that...what Uwe said :-)

...that is, if I understood the original post correctly.

Pete

No Body

Oct 19, 2008, 12:48:32 PM10/19/08
Wylie Coyote wrote:
> I believe what you need to do is find the option/flag to process
> multiple DVDs/CD/whatever when creating the lpp_source. You might want
> to consider using smit(ty) which may allow processing multiple DVDs/CDs
> when creating an lpp_source (don't have a system handy, so I can't
> verify). Short of that...what Uwe said :-)

been a while since i messed with CDs directly.. but iirc the easiest
thing i found to complete this kinda task is:
* install cd 1 in drive
* create a target dir large enough to hold all CD content: e.g. /cd_copy
* gencopy -d /dev/cd0 -t /cd_copy all
* if this doesn't ask for each CD, swap CDs and repeat the same command
until you go through all CDs
* nim -o define -t lpp_source -a server=master -a location=/cd_copy \
cd_lpp_name # replacing /cd_copy with whatever dir you \
copied to, cd_lpp_name with a preferred name for your LPP source

Also, you mentioned you're doing this with AIX6.1 CDs.. you are doing
this on a 6.1 NIM, correct? Otherwise, it's kind of a fool's errand
(unless you just want to extract and move the files to a 6.1 NIM
server).. I don't think i've seen any differences in the nim/gencopy
formatting to NOT allow the lpp source to at least be created on 5.x but
it's kinda useless as anything other than an lpp source (no bootable
installs, no alt_disk installs/upgrades).

Think the OS is on one DVD.. maybe language kits are on the 2nd disk. If
this is an en_US/C LANG install the first DVD should be enough. I know
expansion pack is on its own disk but I probably would not mix that into
the Core OS lpp source.

-r