[ NIM ] Spot / mksysb oslevel

lauren...@gmail.com

May 20, 2010, 5:06:00 AM5/20/10
Hi all,

I would like if it is possible to know the "service pack" level of an
mksysb ?

On mksysb resource, we can perform several actions such as the
following :

# lsnim -a oslevel_r <mksysb_server>

With that, we can know the TL level but not the service pack level.

Knowing the SP level for an mksysb is important, because when you
allocate a spot in order to restore a server, the TL & SP level must
exactly match, otherwise you may encounter restoration problems (i've
already met problems...). I know i can manually allocate spot & mksysb
resource, but i want to automate it with a ksh script. To automate it,
i have to know the SP level in mksysb.

On mksysb, we can perform others actions :

$ sudo lsnim -q showres -t mksysb

the following attributes are optional:
-a reference=<value>
-a resource=<value>
-a installp_flags=<value>
-a sm_inst_flags=<value>
-a instfix_flags=<value>
-a lslpp_flags=<value>
-a lsmksysb_flags=<value>
-a lssavevg_flags=<value>
-a lssavewpar_flags=<value>
-a filesets=<value>
-a client=<value>

"instfix_flags" is interesting but provide the same information as
lslpp_flags.

"lsmksysb_flags" provide the content of the image.data file (which is
generated by the mkszfile command).

I've found that "mkszfile" is a script, i've also found that the
"oslevel_r" field in mksysb resource is updated from the OSLEVEL_R
field in image.data...

On the principle, i do not want to modify IBM scripts, it can generate
others problems..

Does anyone found a elegant solution to this problem ?

Hajo Ehlers

May 21, 2010, 8:25:41 AM5/21/10
On May 20, 11:06 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

<laurent.ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like if it is possible to know the "service pack" level of an
> mksysb ?
1) Unpack the whole mksysb , do a chroot and run the oslevel command
2) Unpack the contens of the /tmp/.oslevel.datafiles/ from your mksysb
and run a modified oslevel command against it.*

Run " oslevel -s -D " and you see whats used when ....

> Knowing the SP level for an mksysb is important, because when you

> allocate a spot in order to restore a server, the TL & SP level must ....

Then you should create from the MKSYSB a SPOT resource.

> Does anyone found a elegant solution to this problem ?

See above. I assume its designed for that kind of problem.

cheers
Hajo

Uwe Auer

May 23, 2010, 2:04:00 PM5/23/10
Am 20.05.2010 11:06, schrieb lauren...@gmail.com:
> Hi all,

[snip]

> Knowing the SP level for an mksysb is important, because when you

> allocate a spot in order to restore a server, the TL& SP level must

> exactly match, otherwise you may encounter restoration problems (i've
> already met problems...).

[snip]

Hi,

very interesting. I've never had any problems with that and I'm supporting over
1000 NIM clients. It should be more or less a matter for IBM Software Support
than having the requirement to have a SPOT for each SP.

It should always be possible - and to my experience it is - to install any
mksysb of a certain TL (!!) with a SPOT of that TL at latest Service Pack. You
may experience problems if you try to install a mksysb at later SP level than
your SPOT is on. That's why it is good practice to keep a SPOT at the latest
Service Pack available for a certain TL.

Regards,
Uwe Auer

Jose Pina Coelho

Jun 11, 2010, 7:22:40 AM6/11/10
"lauren...@gmail.com" <lauren...@gmail.com> wrote in news:11acf68d-
c917-42e6-969...@q13g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

> Knowing the SP level for an mksysb is important, because when you
> allocate a spot in order to restore a server, the TL & SP level must
> exactly match, otherwise you may encounter restoration problems (i've
> already met problems...).

If the level of the spot is lower than the level of the mksysb, problems
are to be expected.

Did you ever had problems with a spot level above that of the mksysb ?

> I know i can manually allocate spot & mksysb
> resource, but i want to automate it with a ksh script. To automate it,
> i have to know the SP level in mksysb.

Have you considered generating a spot from the mksysb, installing and then
removing that spot ?