***How to upgrade Solaris 10 SPARC from 03/08 to 10/09 ? Beginner Question***

underh20

Nov 18, 2009, 5:26:19 PM11/18/09
To Whom It May Concern:

Our remote Sun M5000 server is currently running Symantecs/Veritas
Oracle Storage Foundation 5.0-mp3 and Solaris 10 (10/08). The root is
not Veritas encapsulated/mirrored There's no DVD/CD ROM, no terminal
console and no additional disk at this server. We need to
upgrade the Solaris to the latest version of 10/09. I don't have the
Solaris 10/09 media CDs. However, I've installed the latest Solaris 10
kernel patch (see below).

How do I perform the upgrade to 10/09 ? Is this do-able? Please
let me know the best way to accomplish this task.

Thanks so much, Bill

# uname -a

SunOS atlanta 5.10 Generic_141414-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

Richard B. Gilbert

Nov 18, 2009, 6:06:56 PM11/18/09

First, WHY do you want to upgrade? If what you have works, the upgrade
is probably not worth the trouble!

If you don't have a CD/DVD drive upgrading is going to be much more
difficult than it has to be. I would suggest installing a CD/DVD drive
if possible.

The Solaris media is DVD. CDROM distributions were discontinued a few
years ago. You can download the images for CDs and burn them yourself.

There have been some issues with home made CDs! Some drives are not
very good at reading them. The conventional wisdom is to burn your CDs
at the lowest available speed. I bypassed the whole CD mess and
installed a DVD drive! DVD does have the advantage that you need not
sit there and replace CDs every few minutes!

Start with the S10 manuals available online at docs.sun.com. There is
an "Advanced Installation" manual that tells you, among other things,
how to do a "Jumpstart" installation. In a Jumpstart you boot your
system over the network and install from a Jumpstart server. Using
Jumpstart does not require a CD/DVD drive on the system being installed
or upgraded.

You can download copies of the manuals or you can order hard copy. The
download is free, the manuals cost money. I'd recommend purchasing the
hard copy. Online documentation has one fatal weakness; you need a
working system in order to read it!

AZ Nomad

Nov 18, 2009, 6:14:37 PM11/18/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:06:56 -0500, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>You can download copies of the manuals or you can order hard copy. The
>download is free, the manuals cost money. I'd recommend purchasing the
>hard copy. Online documentation has one fatal weakness; you need a
>working system in order to read it!

who has only one computer?

Thomas Maier-Komor

Nov 18, 2009, 6:56:56 PM11/18/09

I find upgrading without CDROM not any more difficult. Using
live-upgrade you can simply lofi-mount the .iso image and perform the
upgrade. The .iso image can even be NFS mounted.

If someone didn't plan for live-upgrading the machine, it's the right
time to implement it. The latest Solaris 10 release has a couple of
interesting things over 10/08. If the machine already has a ZFS root
upgrading is plain simple:
(from the top of my head)

# lofiadm -a `pwd`/sol-10-<xxx>.iso
# mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt
# cd /mnt/Solaris_10/<blabla>
# ./liveupgrade20
# luuprgrade -u -n s10_10_09 -s /mnt

# luactivate s10_10_09
# init 6

Done.

But read the docs before you do it. And don't forget to update your
liveupgrade with the liveupgrade20 script on the iso image.

HTH,
Thomas

Richard B. Gilbert

Nov 18, 2009, 8:14:38 PM11/18/09

Even if you have a hundred computers, none of them may be available to you!

AZ Nomad

Nov 18, 2009, 9:19:51 PM11/18/09

I've gotten used to accessing pdfs on a laptop when building a system
or working on a system that doesn't boot yet.

I can't imagine doing any serious work without being able to use a
second computer to go to the internet for solutions.

Perhaps you should stick to preloaded systems.