Reform and renewal of the TeX Users Group (TUG)

malcolm clark

Jul 18, 2016, 3:46:30 AM7/18/16
Dear TeX User

The TeX Users Group is stale and losing relevance. In 2015 Kaveh Bazargan stood for TUG President on a reform and renewal platform. This includes updating the TUG website, organizing TeX workshops for publishers, and live-streaming conferences. He beat the Board candidate by 307 votes to 110, and took office in July 2015.

In August 2015 three of Kaveh’s former business associates asked the Board to remove him as President. They claimed misuse of office. Their request arose from disputed ownership of proprietary software.

The Board's resulting investigation is flawed. There are no minutes. The process was contrary to both natural justice and TUG's own by-laws. They ignored evidence provided by one of us. They did not take legal advice before suspending the President. Since then the Board has spent over $9,000 of TUG money on legal services in respect of the suspension.

The Board could have found a cheaper solution, that retains the result of the election. Their remedy is not proportionate to the problem.

Kaveh Bazargan's election was a clear vote, from the membership, for change. This imperative remains, even though frustrated by later events. This was the first contested election in 10 years. The undersigned deeply regret the lost opportunity.

Some of us intend to stand for the TUG Board at the elections next year, so that the membership can again express their wish for change, reform and renewal.

Malcolm Clark (Founding Chair of UK TUG, former President of TUG)
Jonathan Fine (Former Chair of UK TUG, former TUG Board member)
Dominik Wujastyk (Former UK TUG Board member, UK-TUG and TUG Member)

Jan van den Broek

Jul 18, 2016, 5:49:40 AM7/18/16
On 2016-07-18, malcolm clark <mclar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear TeX User

[Schnipp]

Just wondering, doesn't the TUG have its own platform for these kind
of discussions, that would seem more elegant than throwing it out in
the open.

--
Jan v/d Broek
balg...@dds.nl

jfin...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2016, 3:11:39 PM7/18/16
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 10:49:40 AM UTC+1, Jan van den Broek wrote:

> Just wondering, doesn't the TUG have its own platform for these kind
> of discussions, that would seem more elegant than throwing it out in
> the open.

A good point. There is a TUG members list, but few members belong. Also, TUG's mission includes serving the TeX community, who benefit from a healthy TUG.

I've forwarded this post to the TUG members list.

--
Jonathan