Type 3 fonts in PDF output after dvips

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2008, 12:54:50 PM11/7/08
Hello,

I am producing a book with MiKTeX 2.6. I generate output with texify,
dvips and then Ghostview to convert from Postcript to PDF.

All fonts are type 1 and are embedded in the PDF document, as required
by the publisher, except the fonts T3Font_0, T3Font_1, T3Font_2,
T3Font_3, T3Font_4 and T3Font_5, which remain as type 3 and are not
embedded.

The book is typeset in times, with \usepackage {times}. I noticed that
slanted characters in math formulas are not scaled properly.

Does anybody have a guess of what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus.

Lars Madsen

Nov 7, 2008, 1:16:50 PM11/7/08

for one, you are not using times in you math!!!! the times package only
change the text font, but the font system for text and math is two
separate systems. So currently you have a document with times in the
text and computer modern for the math.

I recommend using the mathptmx package instead.

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html

Dan Luecking

Nov 7, 2008, 3:08:17 PM11/7/08
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:16:50 +0100, Lars Madsen
<dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> wrote:

>mvmr...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am producing a book with MiKTeX 2.6. I generate output with texify,
>> dvips and then Ghostview to convert from Postcript to PDF.
>>
>> All fonts are type 1 and are embedded in the PDF document, as required
>> by the publisher, except the fonts T3Font_0, T3Font_1, T3Font_2,
>> T3Font_3, T3Font_4 and T3Font_5, which remain as type 3 and are not
>> embedded.

I am pretty sure that type 3 fonts are always embedded, but
are not always recognized as such by whatever program you
used to determine that information. If they were not, it is
pretty likely you find some characters missing. A non-embedded
font would be obtained from the system fonts when viewed,
but virtually all system fonts likely to be used are PS type 1
or True Type.

Typically type 3 come from dvips embedding PK fonts created
from metafont sources. It would be an extremely odd
configuration in which dvips simply left them out.

You should supply the header of your document (\documentclass
to \begin{document}) or at least the portions that involve
fonts and/or math symbols. There are many symbol packages
that do not supply fonts in type 1 format.

>> The book is typeset in times, with \usepackage {times}. I noticed that
>> slanted characters in math formulas are not scaled properly.
>>
>> Does anybody have a guess of what the problem might be?

[...]

>for one, you are not using times in you math!!!! the times package only
>change the text font, but the font system for text and math is two
>separate systems. So currently you have a document with times in the
>text and computer modern for the math.
>
>I recommend using the mathptmx package instead.

Me too.

But I don't think that is the problem, unless you have
an old, small, or misconfigured MiKTeX. Even computer
modern fonts are nowadays routinely embedded as type 1.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking

Lars Madsen

Nov 7, 2008, 3:27:39 PM11/7/08

> Me too.
>
> But I don't think that is the problem, unless you have
> an old, small, or misconfigured MiKTeX. Even computer
> modern fonts are nowadays routinely embedded as type 1.

Are you sure MiKTeX does as well?

Usually miktex needs cm-super to be installed before computer modern is
embedded as type 1, and if you take the basic miktex cm-super is not
installed

Robin Fairbairns

Nov 7, 2008, 4:45:38 PM11/7/08
Lars Madsen <dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes:
>> But I don't think that is the problem, unless you have
>> an old, small, or misconfigured MiKTeX. Even computer
>> modern fonts are nowadays routinely embedded as type 1.
>
>Are you sure MiKTeX does as well?

for people writing in english, so able to use ot1 encoding, yes.

>Usually miktex needs cm-super to be installed before computer modern is
>embedded as type 1, and if you take the basic miktex cm-super is not
>installed

for people writing in danish, using t1 encoding, this sounds entirely
believable. (i tend to use latin modern, myself, when i've any need
for something beyond ot1.)

i was assuming (on the basis of no real evidence) the op was anglophone.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2008, 3:45:44 PM11/9/08
Thank you all for the replies. I tried to use mathptmx instead of
times, but I get error messages due to apparently missing math
symbols. This does not happen when I use times. Here is part of my
header:

\documentclass
[fontsize=10pt,twoside,openright,cleardoublepage=empty,headsepline,pointlessnumbers,liststotoc,bibtotoc]
{scrbook}
\usepackage [brazilian] {babel}
\usepackage [ansinew] {inputenc}
\usepackage [T1] {fontenc}
\usepackage {oz}
\usepackage {times}
%\usepackage {mathptmx}

I don´t understad much about fonts and encodings (I write in brazilian
portuguese) but everything looks fine, except for the fact that I
still have some Type 3 fonts that I need to substitute for their Type
1 equivalents, and some other fonts which are not embedded at all in
the PDF output. I use MiKTeX 2.6, dvips and then Ghostview to generate
the PDF file.

Thanks again.

Lars Madsen

Nov 9, 2008, 5:25:16 PM11/9/08

then would you please provide a minimal example that ends up giving a
PDF with type 3 fonts in it. That helps us a lot more than trying to
guess what you are doing/using in your document.

/daleif

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2008, 6:15:30 PM11/9/08
Here is a sample code that reproduces the problem. If package
{mathptmx} is used, I get an error for the symbol "\zbar", which is
defined in package {oz}. If package {times} is used instead, it
compiles OK, but the resulting PDF (after dvips and ghostview)
includes some Type 3 fonts (and my publisher needs Type 1 embedded).
This can be seen in the screen with lots of zooming in the letter "a"
below, inside the math environment in Line 1.

\documentclass
[fontsize=10pt,twoside,openright,cleardoublepage=empty,headsepline,pointlessnumbers,liststotoc,bibtotoc]
{scrbook}
\usepackage [brazilian] {babel}
\usepackage [ansinew] {inputenc}
\usepackage [T1] {fontenc}
\usepackage {oz}

%\usepackage {times}
\usepackage {mathptmx}
\begin {document}
\noindent
Line 1: ``$a$'', ``$abc$'', ``$\spadesuit$'', ``1'' etc. \\
Line 2: $\zbar A \zbar = \aleph_i$.
\end {document}

Regards,
Marcus.

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2008, 8:19:15 PM11/9/08
I just discovered that the problem seems to be this {oz} package. When
I comment it out (and also Line 2), the PDF output looks perfectly.
All fonts are embedded and Type 1. When I return {oz}, the letters in
math are Type 3. See below:

\documentclass
[fontsize=10pt,twoside,openright,cleardoublepage=empty,headsepline,pointlessnumbers,liststotoc,bibtotoc]
{scrbook}
\usepackage [brazilian] {babel}
\usepackage [ansinew] {inputenc}
\usepackage [T1] {fontenc}

%\usepackage {oz}

\usepackage {times}
\usepackage {mathptmx}
\begin {document}
\noindent
Line 1: ``$a$'', ``$abc$'', ``$\spadesuit$'', ``1'' etc. \\

%Line 2: $\zbar A \zbar = \aleph_i$.
\end {document}

The {oz} documentation says that "it fixes the way TeX sets letters in
mathematical formulas so that multi-character identifiers look
better". This is probably related to the problem observed, but I don´t
know why and how to fix it.

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2008, 8:58:04 PM11/9/08
The summary is:

<packages used in the example above>: <fonts used in math letters in
PDF output>

times: Type 1
times+mathptmx: Type 1
times+oz: Type 3
times+oz+mathptmx: doesn´t compile

Thus, package {oz} interferes with {times} and is not compatible with
{mathptmx} at all. This package {oz} is from 1990, and I haven´t
managed to find an update or substitute for it, nor to find its
author. Suggestions on how to proceed, since I need all three?

mvmr...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2008, 9:20:49 PM11/9/08
> times: Type 1
> times+mathptmx: Type 1
> times+oz: Type 3
> times+oz+mathptmx: doesn´t compile

Remark:

times+oz+mathptmx: doesn´t compile ONLY if comment is removed from
Line 2 of the example (that is, no command defined is {oz} is used in
the document). Otherwise works fine.

Ulrike Fischer

Nov 10, 2008, 4:06:37 AM11/10/08
Am Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:15:30 -0800 (PST) schrieb mvmr...@gmail.com:

> Here is a sample code that reproduces the problem. If package
> {mathptmx} is used, I get an error for the symbol "\zbar", which is
> defined in package {oz}. If package {times} is used instead, it
> compiles OK, but the resulting PDF (after dvips and ghostview)
> includes some Type 3 fonts (and my publisher needs Type 1 embedded).

Install the cm-super fonts. Or move the times package before oz, this
will change the math fonts. Run you example with pdflatex, at the end of
the log is then a list of the fonts. All ending with .pk a Type 3 fonts,
fonts ending with .pfb are Type1.

You should also look if you really need this oz package. Did you try to
replace it by amsmath + mathptmx?

--
Ulrike Fischer

Dan Luecking

Nov 10, 2008, 5:21:32 PM11/10/08
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:27:39 +0100, Lars Madsen
<dal...@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> wrote:

>> Me too.
>>
>> But I don't think that is the problem, unless you have
>> an old, small, or misconfigured MiKTeX. Even computer
>> modern fonts are nowadays routinely embedded as type 1.
>>

>Are you sure MiKTeX does as well?
>
>Usually miktex needs cm-super to be installed before computer modern is
>embedded as type 1, and if you take the basic miktex cm-super is not
>installed

This comes under "small" in my sentence "unless you have

an old, small, or misconfigured MiKTeX"

Lars Madsen

Nov 10, 2008, 5:31:19 PM11/10/08

you do not need the times package, mathptmx sets the text font to times
AND the math font to times

/daleif